TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and several TiVo subscriber that I know are miffed. As of the last few weeks, we no longer have a local phone number for TiVo to connect. I have reinstated my long distance phone service just to feed TiVo. TiVo makes one or two calls a day and that adds 20-40 cents per day to my phone bill.

The TiVo sales folks represents the TiVo service to have local numbers available everywhere. Thus, the long distance phone calls are an added, unanticipated expense.

Curious how many others are disturbed at the additional $6-$15.00/ month cost recently added (to phone bill) to keep TiVo service.??

I have called the company and they suggest that I employ a wireless router. I said the machine was sold with the representation of having local phone connections available. This was the case for years. Now they have deleted many of those numbers. If a lot of other TiVonians are are having problems, It sounds like a class action issue...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
grieny said:
It sounds like a class action issue...
Or you take a few buck that you would have spent on months of longs distance calls and get yourself a wireless adapter. There are all kinds of good things that come with a broadband connected TiVo - faster updates, connections every 15 minutes rather than once a day for updates and information, Amazon Unbox, Online Scheduling, Yahoo!, the list goes on...

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,052 Posts
grieny said:
I and several TiVo subscriber that I know are miffed. As of the last few weeks, we no longer have a local phone number for TiVo to connect. I have reinstated my long distance phone service just to feed TiVo. TiVo makes one or two calls a day and that adds 20-40 cents per day to my phone bill....
Disconnect the TiVo from the phone line and then only reconnect it once a week for a "forced" call.

·
O2->CO2 Converter
2,702 Posts
Welcome!

One of the guidlines that we follow here is that the creating of duplicate threads is frowned upon and using the search before posting a new thread is encouraged.

You can find lots of helpful information and some suggestions in this recent thread discussing this topic:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=352343&highlight=long+distance

Good luck with that class action suit! Gotta keep the lawyers rich, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Atomike said:
There has never been a local number in my area. I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to the fact that Tivo does not care about a certain percentage of its customers.
Or put differently, to keep costs down for all Tivo subscribers, Tivo can't provide local numbers for absolutely everyone, but rather only the vast majority of subscribers.

The cost of living in rural areas is generally much lower. There are, however, some things that cost more--for example, there are fewer local services, so sometimes obtaining those services can be more expensive.

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
Atomike said:
There has never been a local number in my area. I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to the fact that Tivo does not subsidize a certain percentage of its customers.
Fixed Your Post

PS - TiVo does not claim everyone will get a local number, just that they can use a phone line and call in vs using broadband

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
Atomike said:
Actually, you changed the meaning. Ask one of your teachers to show you why they're different. It would be worth your time, and will help you when you are older.

It's too bad logic is not taught in schools anymore. I weep for the future.
In fixing your post I, of course, changed the meaning since it was the meaning of your post that was broken. Had I been fixing the grammar or spelling; then in that case the meaning should not change. Hope this little lesson in logic helped. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
By the way, in the midst of all of this, I must compliment you on your avatar - it's truly awesome. Did you make it yourself, because if so, you are very talented. I've always wondered what I would look like as a Simpsons character. So, despite our disagreements, I must give you credit for that amazingly awesome artwork.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Atomike said:
By the way, in the midst of all of this, I must compliment you on your avatar - it's truly awesome. Did you make it yourself, because if so, you are very talented. I've always wondered what I would look like as a Simpsons character. So, despite our disagreements, I must give you credit for that amazingly awesome artwork.
http://www.simpsonsmovie.com/main.html

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Now up to 14 posts and the OP has yet to respond or to actually say if he/she has a network they could even try to connect to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr/Ms. ZeoTiVo:

I must correct you assertion that TiVo does not promise a local phone number will be available. Call TiVo Sales and they will tell you that the entire country has local phone coverage. I have called (four times). I pretended to be a senior citizen, ignorant of the product. I told them that I no longer had long distance service on my phone line (true). I pushed them on the issue. Only one sales lady admitted, "I 've only heard of one user which had a problem aquiring a local number. They were in the state of Washington.... but, you are in the east and I can assure you there will be a local number available to you."

It is not about subsidizing the rural user. it is about misrepresentation of the product by the sales department.

I am sorry that we all don't live in NYC. But, someone has to grow food for this nation. Or we can just import it all from China..LOL

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
grieny said:
Mr/Ms. ZeoTiVo:

I must correct you assertion that TiVo does not promise a local phone number will be available. Call TiVo Sales and they will tell you that the entire country has local phone coverage. I have called (four times).
TiVo uses 3rd party support for a lot of that and I do think that is a problem they could do more to correct. None of those people actually looked anything up, did they? Now once you get it in writing then you may have something.

Anyhow, I agree tha tthis is still a bad customer experience and companies are better off reducing such experiences. i am not defending TiVo just pointing out the details to round out the whole story

·
Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
ZeoTiVo said:
Fixed Your Post

PS - TiVo does not claim everyone will get a local number, just that they can use a phone line and call in vs using broadband
What if the OP lives out in Rural USA where you cannot even get Broadband, unless you pay an arm and a leg for Sat Internet?

Yes, you could use the Tivo in your Home Network, but not having Broadband pretty much means you either need a Local Number, or an 800 number to connect.

I do remember reading somewhere the Tivo does offer 800 service for those that do not have a local number. Has the OP tried that?

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
wolflord11 said:
I do remember reading somewhere the Tivo does offer 800 service for those that do not have a local number. Has the OP tried that?
TiVo has also yanked back the 800 numbers and do not let many use them anymore.

aside from the cost of providing a number that is no cost to the subscriber but costs TiVo more than the sub(s) revenue there is the oppurtunity costs of the broadband services TiVo is getting into that do better with more broadband users.

I can see a case for TiVo providing some 800 service for cases where people are in a spot where no other choices are available, but for the bulk of people some internet service is probably available.
Then it is the hard business conversation of how many potential subscribers are in such areas and is the goodwill of providing a money losing (to TiVo) service to TiVo worth the total of lost revenue. Bottom line

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.