TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
FUBAR
4,906 Posts
*My* main concern with my devices that are inactive is that there seems to be a history of TiVo shrugging their shoulders if/when a device falls far enough behind in software updates that it is unable to successfully perform a service connection and software update.
But that's not a Mini-specific issue, which is what this thread is about. Agree that if you're concerned it doesn't hurt to keep them updated.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
But that's not a Mini-specific issue, which is what this thread is about. Agree that if you're concerned it doesn't hurt to keep them updated.
It relates to the "loop of death" issue if anyone is keeping a Mini boxed-up on a shelf as a possible replacement…
Just found one of my Tivo Minis in the loop of death. I have to dig up the spare.
… but thanks for the topic stop & frisk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had a similar issue but with the weirdest twist:

I have two Mini LUX's (connected to a Roamio Pro). A couple of weeks ago, LUX #1 (only 8 months old) stopped working..it would startup and show the first "Starting up" message and then die. I knew the problem was inside Lux #1 because, when I connected my LUX #2 to the same location, LUX #2 would work just fine.

So I contacted TiVo support and they eventually agreed to send me a new shrink-wrapped TiVo LUX as a replacement (for the $39.95 fee). I got it and it worked fine... but only for 5 days!! At that point (which is today), the new LUX #3 died with the EXACT same symptom as old LUX #1. And once again, when I swapped it for my old LUX #2, the old LUX #2 worked at the same location.

How can this be....how can a brand new LUX develop the exact same symptom as the one I returned...after just five days of use...while my other LUX works in the same location just fine? It makes no sense. HELP!

P.S. I will be calling TiVo tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spoke to TiVo and they could not have been better. They agreed to send me another new LUX, 2-day shipping, no charge. It is due to arrive tomorrow. They did not seem shocked by what had happened, but were not-surprisingly vague about any known defects. They said it could be a coincidence. Anyway, I remain hopeful that this will be the end of the story.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,926 Posts
I've had a similar issue but with the weirdest twist:

I have two Mini LUX's (connected to a Roamio Pro). A couple of weeks ago, LUX #1 (only 8 months old) stopped working..it would startup and show the first "Starting up" message and then die. I knew the problem was inside Lux #1 because, when I connected my LUX #2 to the same location, LUX #2 would work just fine.

So I contacted TiVo support and they eventually agreed to send me a new shrink-wrapped TiVo LUX as a replacement (for the $39.95 fee). I got it and it worked fine... but only for 5 days!! At that point (which is today), the new LUX #3 died with the EXACT same symptom as old LUX #1. And once again, when I swapped it for my old LUX #2, the old LUX #2 worked at the same location.

How can this be....how can a brand new LUX develop the exact same symptom as the one I returned...after just five days of use...while my other LUX works in the same location just fine? It makes no sense. HELP!

How are you connecting it? Are you using MoCA (and thus the coax port)? If yes, is it possible something on that coax running in your place is ruining connected equipment like A bad cable installation destroyed my $2,000 TV and maybe almost killed me?

My A93 Mini is NOT using MoCA. There's no coax in the room where I'm using it. It's connected via wired Ethernet for me.

Have power surges in your area? Is it on a good quality name-brand surge protector? More than decade ago, I had a microwave oven that seemed to have been damaged by a power surge. We had an outage and once the power came back, its display has been permanently messed up. It's unreadable w/non-sense segments lit up. I still use that microwave and it still works but I can't tell how much time is left and exactly what I'm entering. I figured a surge damaged it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How are you connecting it? Are you using MoCA (and thus the coax port)? If yes, is it possible something on that coax running in your place is ruining connected equipment like A bad cable installation destroyed my $2,000 TV and maybe almost killed me?

My A93 Mini is NOT using MoCA. There's no coax in the room where I'm using it. It's connected via wired Ethernet for me.

Have power surges in your area? Is it on a good quality name-brand surge protector? More than decade ago, I had a microwave oven that seemed to have been damaged by a power surge. We had an outage and once the power came back, its display has been permanently messed up. It's unreadable w/non-sense segments lit up. I still use that microwave and it still works but I can't tell how much time is left and exactly what I'm entering. I figured a surge damaged it.
My KitchenAid "built in" above stove microwave did the same thing with its display. It's been working for over a year fine but we also don't know the time remaining or clock lol. Microwaves don't cost that much to replace but these built in counter and/or over the oven ones are still $700+ which I had no idea...first house with microwave like that lol

121 - 129 of 129 Posts