TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
OTA is still alive
526 Posts
This outfit the owns the TiVo name only cares about patents. They collect them.
Period.

·
FUBAR
4,839 Posts
Used to be, it would know when the table was out of date, reload the table, reboot the Roamio, and go on about its business. That stopped about a year ago, and now I have to go to one of the premiums every morning to see if it still comes up, otherwise I have to power cycle the TA to load a new routing table. Waaaaaay too much work just to make sure recordings happen, no matter who is to blame.
Or, just put the TA on a timer and have it reboot every day?

·
HD Tech
987 Posts
Or, just put the TA on a timer and have it reboot every day?
I did that for a while, but discovered that reestablishing sync with 'mom' wasn't always a given. Sometimes that amber light would flash for hours afterward. If I did it manually and it failed to connect after 10 minutes, I would reboot it several times, and eventually it would connect.

Also, I'm on my fourth or fifth TA - they seem to fail on a regular basis over the years.

The TA being trash is not TiVo's fault, but it does make things more cumbersome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
09/08/2015 A93-0001-xxxx
She's a dead... $25 off a new one as the only option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have had to replace a 6 year old A92, I still believe it was a software update that has bricked all these Minis, intentional or not. Maybe just to generate revenue. (Takes off tinfoil hat)

·
Registered
277 Posts
It'd be interesting to see what percentage of the failures were running TE4. Methinks the processors in the Mini's couldn't handle the increased workload and burnt up.

·
HD Tech
987 Posts
My two that died were TE3. My sense is most people posting that their Mini died were on TE3. I have two others still running, but who knows for how long. When my Roamio dies, after 20 years I'm going cable and TiVo-less.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My two that died were TE3. My sense is most people posting that their Mini died were on TE3. I have two others still running, but who knows for how long. When my Roamio dies, after 20 years I'm going cable and TiVo-less.
I'm not sure about that. My Mini's started out on TE3 but then went to TE4. Never had a failure before TE4 but it may just be an age related thing caused by poor ventilation design. They should probably have been designed with a small fan or piezio cooler.

·
OTA is still alive
526 Posts
caused by poor ventilation design. They should probably have been designed with a small fan or piezio cooler.
Poor design like the Roamio. :rolleyes:

·
HD Tech
987 Posts
Poor design like the Roamio. :rolleyes:
Actually, my Roamio has been consistently very good, despite TiVo's repeated attempts to sabotage it by not allowing it to update daily. I haven't had a successful connect with TiVo's servers since last April. This is the second time. The first time, it didn't connect successfully for about 15 months, then suddenly and magically, it began to succeed daily. As always, it connects, downloads the update, attempts to load it, and somewhere between 30 and 95 percent loaded, it fails. Over and over and over. The guide continues throughout to have 11-13 days of data, which is why I mostly ignore it. Although every once in a while, it will throw up a screen that says I haven't connected in 30 days, and there will be no more recordings until I do. So I connect from that screen, and the cycle starts again.

This is not a hardware fault. It's not an Internet fault - I've dragged the thing to another person's home with a different ISP, and the same thing happens. This is some software that TiVo loaded on the device either maliciously or through rampant stupidity that has corrupted the guide database - when the download does get to 95 percent before failing, it takes 90 minutes to two hours to get there from the time it starts to load. When it was working for a while, a full 100% load of data took around 10 minutes. Support acknowledges the problem, but refuses to fix it.

I have come to believe that my problem and the dead Mini problem (I've had two fail here so far) are TiVo's attempt to shed themselves of old lifetime units which TiVo's current owners believe are a drain on profits. The tell is that when you call support, they acknowledge the problem, say there is no fix pending and likely won't be, then ask if you've had a look at their latest models which (magically) don't have the problem.

I'm a few months away from getting rid of Spectrum cable, and at that point my 20 year relationship with TiVo will end.

·
OTA is still alive
526 Posts
No, that's even worse. I known about who hot those get, they took cooling 10 steps backwards. A friend on mine almost burned his hand swapping HDD's.
This is what happens when one has a monopoly, they just don't care since they know they are the only game in town for a specific application from cornering the patent market. :mad:

81 - 100 of 129 Posts