TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am hoping someone can help me as I am really thinking this could be a easy fix. Okay My setup is this a ATT fiber bgw210 modem into a linksys ac max stream router...I use one of the ports on that max stream router out to my tivo bolt. Another 2 ports are used to go to 2 more linksys max stream routers that are used as access points. One of those access points are in my bedroom where I have my tivo mini and apple tv setup, so Ethernet cable into the wan port on router, which then I have 2 ports being used for the apple tv and tivo mini. When setting up the tivo mini I couldnt see the tivo bolt, it told me no tivo could be found, while grabbing a 192.168.1.xx address. The tivo bolt is on the first router grabbing a 10.61.x.xx address. Now when I plug the tivo bolt into the ethernet coming off the first router eliminating the access point, it grabs a 10.61 address and sees the tivo and activates....but I need that access point and when plugging in it goes back to not seeing, can anyone help me with settings on the router and what to do?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Sounds like you're 'double routing', which will cause a long list of problems.

There should only be 1 device on your network handing out IP Address'. Usually your router (that's connected directly to your WAN (internet)).

-KP

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Hey everyone I am hoping someone can help me as I am really thinking this could be a easy fix. Okay My setup is this a ATT fiber bgw210 modem into a linksys ac max stream router...I use one of the ports on that max stream router out to my tivo bolt. Another 2 ports are used to go to 2 more linksys max stream routers that are used as access points. One of those access points are in my bedroom where I have my tivo mini and apple tv setup, so Ethernet cable into the wan port on router, which then I have 2 ports being used for the apple tv and tivo mini. When setting up the tivo mini I couldnt see the tivo bolt, it told me no tivo could be found, while grabbing a 192.168.1.xx address. The tivo bolt is on the first router grabbing a 10.61.x.xx address. Now when I plug the tivo bolt into the ethernet coming off the first router eliminating the access point, it grabs a 10.61 address and sees the tivo and activates....but I need that access point and when plugging in it goes back to not seeing, can anyone help me with settings on the router and what to do?
How to identify and resolve double-NAT problems
As already mentioned by KP, what you are calling an AP is not in AP mode. Some routers have an easy to use AP mode which can be enabled by just checking a box in the configuration. All can be manually configured as AP's and most times you only connect the feed Ethernet to a LAN port not the WAN port in this mode. Try just googling the routers make and model number with "AP mode" and you will likely find instructions on how to do this quickly.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Another 2 ports are used to go to 2 more linksys max stream routers that are used as access points
"Used" as access points, or "configured and connected" as access points?

what you are calling an AP is not in AP mode.
^This^

What you are trying to do is perfectly fine, so long as you're using routers capable of being configured as access points (either manually or, ideally, via a simple configuration option) ... stripping-down the device's functionality to just a wireless access point with built-in switch.

Note that Linksys may refer to the necessary configuration as "Bridge Mode" per this how-to for the EA7500:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are great, and I will be working on this when I get home tonight and will report back later...Need to get this running asap before the fall tv shows pop up and my wifes approval goes down lol. We have a directv dvr there but I a dont pay for dvr service and from the looks of things seem to be one of the few left that likes tivo over all other dvrs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I had a ea7500 and with max stream you can set your wifi names to the same and have roaming no problem...so I did a lazy setup and did that same name and password and used the ethernet to connect the routers...but I never took into consideration dhcp routing and all that fun stuff until I needed it...so I reset my one router I had as a lazy access point (wifi only) and set it up with same wifi name and passord and then set it in bridge mode and it is working perfect...Thanks again for all your guys help!!!

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
so I reset my one router I had as a lazy access point (wifi only) and set it up with same wifi name and passord and then set it in bridge mode and it is working perfect...Thanks again for all your guys help!!!
Per the OP, it seems like you would have needed to go bridge mode on 2 of your EA7500s, leaving the main one in router mode.
My setup is this a ATT fiber bgw210 modem into a linksys ac max stream router...I use one of the ports on that max stream router out to my tivo bolt. Another 2 ports are used to go to 2 more linksys max stream routers that are used as access points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.