TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peteypete said:
How did the startribune get this scoop? Any other confirmations?
from The LATimes.com
TiVo to Expand Portable Features
It is expected to allow users to transfer TV programs to iPods and PlayStations. The service could be available early next year.
from Seattlepi.com
Consumers would need certain video encoding software on their computers, provided by TiVo or bought elsewhere for about $15 to $30 in stores.
At least it's cheap, eh?
:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Excellent! I may have to get one of those video ipods now. I heard somewhere that people were hacking Nanos to be able to play video. Anybody hear about that.

Maybe this development will finally make mac users happy!

·
Deep In The Mattcave
256 Posts
I have a video iPod, and this would make me very happy to have a onestep process for putting video from my TiVo on my iPod.

(at least I'm hoping that's what it will be)

Matt

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mattman said:
I have a video iPod, and this would make me very happy to have a onestep process for putting video from my TiVo on my iPod.

(at least I'm hoping that's what it will be)

Matt
from the latimes story
TiVo subscribers will need to purchase special software to tap the features, said Jim Denney, TiVo's vice president of product marketing. The TiVo box would need to be connected to a home network and the program would first have to be transferred to a PC.
Download to your pc, then transfer to a ipod or a psp. Twostep process?

(gotta strap on the old ipod/psp drm before transfer to a ipod/psp)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
'Tis true, 'tis true...

Those pesky reporters, jumping the gun again.

Pony

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
from star tribune article said:
With its introduction in January of TiVoToGo, the digital video recording pioneer gave its broadband Series2 subscribers the ability to transfer recorded shows to Windows-based PCs and laptops as well as portable media players. But the service was available only to Microsoft-compatible devices. Now, by adding support for the MPEG-4 video format, TiVo hopes to capitalize on the popularity of iPods and PSPs.
MPEG-4 ? WTF?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
jmoak said:
Download to your pc, then transfer to a ipod or a psp. Twostep process?

(gotta strap on the old ipod/psp drm before transfer to a ipod/psp)
Two step? We're not in Texas, are we? :)

More details to come...

Pony

·
33 Posts
According to the Wall Street Journal...

----------------------------

TiVo Plans to Allow Unlimited
TV-Show Downloads to iPods

By NICK WINGFIELD and BROOKS BARNES
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113253403196102661.html?mod=technology_featured_stories_hs

Getting TiVo to work with an iPod isn't as simple as downloading music and videos to Apple's device from iTunes. First, a user's TiVo records a show onto the machine's hard drive. Then, the program is transferred over a home network to a PC, where it is translated into a video format compatible with the iPod. Next, the video must be transferred to the iPod from the PC. The whole process of getting an hour-long show onto an iPod could take more than two hours from the time a TiVo device finishes recording it.

For that reason, TiVo expects its users to set their machines to download shows to their iPods overnight. TiVo says the new software it will begin testing automates the process of synchronizing a TiVo and iPod. For weeks, TiVo users have traded tips over the Internet for getting TiVo shows onto the new iPod, but the process is labor-intensive in most cases. "We're trying to make it easy," says Jim Denney, vice president of product marketing at TiVo.

Mr. Denney says the size of video files will vary depending on the recording quality users select on their TiVos, but he estimates that 2½ hours of video in most cases will eat up about one gigabyte of storage on an iPod, or roughly one-thirtieth of the capacity of Apple's entry-level video iPod.

------------

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
I like the PSP part. Much more sturdy looking a gadget than an iPod.

Of course, series 1 owners can't make use of this...

Or can we?

·
33 Posts
Not cool...

-----------------

To help prevent piracy, TiVo says its software will insert an invisible watermark in shows that are formatted for iPods. If such programs show up on Internet file-sharing networks, entertainment companies, working with TiVo, will be able to use the watermark to identify the TiVo user from which it originated.

-----------------

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
burnsy said:
Not cool...

-----------------

To help prevent piracy, TiVo says its software will insert an invisible watermark in shows that are formatted for iPods. If such programs show up on Internet file-sharing networks, entertainment companies, working with TiVo, will be able to use the watermark to identify the TiVo user from which it originated.

-----------------
I would rather a watermark and the ability to officially move video around for my own fair use then the current DRM and no official way to do things.

A watermark only hurts those that would put the show out for illegal use beyond their own personal fair use.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
jmoak said:
hehehe...
I saw the light bulb over your head come on from way over here!
;)
well it is just MPEG-4 outside the TiVo box for now. Be nice when we can stream/copy MPEG-4 back to the box :up:

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
burnsy said:
Not cool...
If you can transfer the video to your computer, edit it to your hearts content, stick it on your harddrive and watch it anytime you want, make a dvd out of it AND transfer and watch it on quite a few portable devices (now including the most popular ones)...

What makes it "uncool"?
:confused:

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZeoTiVo said:
well it is just MPEG-4 outside the TiVo box for now. Be nice when we can stream/copy MPEG-4 back to the box :up:
One of those articles said something about "in the background" conversion of Tivo's mpeg2 to mpeg4, why not the other way around for 'net content?
:)

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I can already transfer video from my DirecTiVo to my video iPod with a single click. Why would I pay somebody for this?

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Arcady said:
I can already transfer video from my DirecTiVo to my video iPod with a single click. Why would I pay somebody for this?
Bless your heart, YOU don't have to!

But dem other folks, deay ain't as sharp as you be. Dis stuff here is fo dem regulr peoples. Now deay git to play jes lik de smrt fellers do!

YeeHaw!
;)

well, not JUST like you do, but you get my drift!

·
urban achiever
794 Posts
burnsy said:
Not cool...

-----------------

ZeoTiVo said:
I would rather a watermark and the ability to officially move video around for my own fair use then the current DRM and no official way to do things.

A watermark only hurts those that would put the show out for illegal use beyond their own personal fair use.
What Zeo said. The only reason an invisible watermark is bad is if you have intentions of illegally distributing the content from your TiVo to a wide audience.

I can't think of any sceanario where legitamate fair use is impacted by an invisible watermark.

As long as you keep the files to yourself (and maybe your family and friends), an invisible watermark is not going to cause you any trouble.

Why is that so uncool? It's a hell of a lot better than draconian DRM technologies... think Sony's recent botched attempts...

1 - 20 of 260 Posts