TiVo Community Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 2517 Posts

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
In the same league. You mean the Little League? :)

· Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
It's 2019. Relevant technology doesn't have a UI that looks like TE3.

As refined as TE3 may be, I think TiVo would have an even bigger problem selling new units if they didn't have a UI that was in the same league as most of the other modern DVRs.
Disagree. TE3 is excellent.

· Registered
276 Posts

As refined as TE3 may be, I think TiVo would have an even bigger problem selling new units if they didn't have a UI that was in the same league as most of the other modern DVRs.
Are you comparing DVR UIs or the Tivo DVR UI to streamer box UIs? TE3 is still miles ahead of any other DVR UI IMO. Comparing TE3 to a streamer box UI is apples-to-oranges and where I think Tivo has gone wrong. TE4 is an attempt to catch up to streamer boxes with a streamer UX at the expense of taking several steps backward with their DVR UI.

· Just me.
237 Posts

I agree that current trend in UI is toward flashy, busy, and hard to use in disguise of "smart" (i.e. "we tell you what you want instead of you tell us what you want"). TE3 is certainly none of those things, it is simple, useful, and predictable - but its graphics are dated, and it sure could have used a good refresh (and no - the half-ass transition to HD did not count). To be fair, TE4 gotten much better since its introduction, it mostly works now, and they cut down on stupid useless stuff - though there is still a ton of unnecessary busy UI, multiple confusing presentation of (nearly) same data, while the most basic features present in the old UI (like, for example, being able to flip from one episode of a TV show to the next without going through 10 menus) are still missing and more are being removed by the day (Remember when a movie description included its year? That was too useful of a feature, off with its head!). But I guess it is flashier and more HD ready... (Though I still wondering what is up with the broken, jagged arrows backdrop it shows all over the place during transitions - it always looks like it just crashed and is displaying a corrupted image)

· Registered
612 Posts
I think virtually any new user would instantly dismiss TiVo if it booted up with TE3... much like dismissing a company when their Internet presence hasn't been updated for decades...

· Just me.
237 Posts
Back on topic, i wonder if TiVo has halted the rollout due to all the negative feedback. Nobody new has reported ads for several days now
Not sure. I think they bet hard on it and painted themselves into a corner. If they give up now - they definitely lose, and if they stay the course there is a small chance of winning. Personally, I have not gotten them yet, but I got some other weird behavior I suspect is related - anything played from Minis suddenly added a long pause(7-10 secs) before it starts, but no ads, and it does not happen on the main unit. I kinda want to get the ads so that I can call to remove them - while they still allow that, but the writing is on the wall. I was planning to get a newer model to switch to OTA, but now that is on hold while I am exploring alternatives. I am pleasantly surprised with Channels, They have all the key features I want - smart season passes, commercial marking and autoskip, and some features are even smarter, like allowing you to automatically keep all unwatched plus the last x watched episodes, etc, But their UI needs a bit more work , as it is of the "modern" useless variety that TE4 is aspiring to...the entire UI feels as annoying as the Discovery Bar.

· Registered
27,658 Posts
The way this thread as gone it would be company suicide if TiVo goes through with this. I'll talk to the "higher ups" to see what I can do to appease TiVo's fans, who ever is left that is.:(
(While you're doing that, would you please also: get the Live Guide onto TE4; get workable Suggestions on it; bring on-box, inter-box transfers to it; and bring back PC -> TE4 transfers? ;) )

· wait.. I did what?
15,513 Posts
Or that has any SDUI whatsoever. Which TE3 still has. Ridiculous. SD!!!
Some of us really don't care that random screens that we never see in normal operation are in SD.
They can have my TE3 when they pry the Live Guide out of my cold dead hands... :)
I keep a TE4 machine in the stack so I can see how they're doing, but there's so much about it I have no interest in that I have no intention to give up Live Guide and lack of preroll ads for IMNSHO a glorified cableco DVR interface.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
Or that has any SDUI whatsoever. Which TE3 still has. Ridiculous. SD!!!
One part of the Tivo Interface that has not been upgrade are the setups screens, channel select and other configuration pages.

I always laughed when entering these pages as it sent me back to 1999.

Will the new 2015 Bolt, still have settings pages from 1999?

SD instead of 4k?
Non of the screens will be native 4K. However my understanding is everything will be HD (and have the preview window) except the Network Settings screens.
What are you specifically referring to in that thread which is a really old post (Channel select and Network Settings are in HD). You seem to have ignored the other post where it was mentioned to you that the TE3 experience on Roamio was brought up to the UI level to match the Bolt with all HD menu's (excluding the CableCARD menu which is pass-through and I'm assuming still the initial setup screens where they don't want to assume TV resolution).

Scott

1401 - 1420 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.