TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 140 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd think it interesting that since you've got it use and maybe mention your thoughts. I've never used TE4/21.* so I can't tell what to expect. Is it in fact a simple 'SKIP' to get to the 'DVR EVENT'! maybe express your displeasure in a CHAT where you'll be asked for the DVR ID etc, you'll be able to save the CHAT and that I'd say documents your displeasure. In a CHAT ENTRY I'd add the DVR ID, 21.* info etc.

How great a nuisance is it?
Like someone said earlier, you have to wait for the spinning circle to load, and then press skip. Maybe adds 5 seconds?

The real irritant is how much I spent to better avoid ads (and rental fees) only to have the company I gave that money to serve ads at me.

If I had known tivo was going to be an ad filled experience I wouldn't have even considered it. (I also have 'sponsored' items on the big list of shows you see when you push the tivo button. There aren't any now or I'd take a picture)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Called Tivo technical support 877-367-8486, they told me that they would disable the ads. But it could take up to 72 hours to be complete. I told them that I pay for Tivo to be able to skip ads and should not have ads before my recordings. They also stated that I could can skip there ads, and I said that is completely unacceptable. Support was very polite and apologetic and told me that they will fix it.
Darn, I wasn't so lucky. Looks like it will depend on who you get.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In my CHAT I was TOLD that there certainly is/was - I'm not going to post my CHAT (I DO HAVE) but for sure I was told to unbox, connect and activate. If the ads appeared 'CALL AND WE'LL REMOVE THAT FEATURE'. They told you many calls and after everyone else has 'grabbed' the info and 'editorialized' it I believe they'll need to address it to the multitudes!!

Mine is remaining in the 'wrap' until they've addressed it.
Ok, this another thing we can do. Find a dead horse. Grab its head. Send it to TiVo. We write on yellow Post-it the word, "Capeesh?"

Chat nothing, they'll get the message. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
They just bit the hand that feeds them, so it's time for them to starve.

I see people getting angry at each other, so let's all direct our anger in the correct direction. THE LYING TWO FACED TIVO! I will spread the word to not buy anything they make unless they reverse thia, as they are currently developing a history of screwing their customers for profit. If I am correct, they have long relied on repeat customers, so we could make a difference. I was planning on a new device, I have 4 things they have made, but now am seriously looking at YouTube TV. If I am going to watch ads, no way I am buying premium devices to do it. Selling my 3 lifetime TiVos will pay for a lot of YouTube TV. (Although they have now found a way to kill those resale values I guess.)
[Proverbially] Light your torches! Sharpen the Pitchforks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I am correct, they have long relied on repeat customers, so we could make a difference
TiVo depends on MSO business. Retail customers barely pay for an ivory back-scratcher for the boardroom. I'm sure after seeing the Brinks trucks backing up to the streaming businesses, they may not care much what the few dinosaurs left in retail feel about pre-roll. And if an MSO gets a cut from a pre-roll, they may be motivated to sign on w/TiVo - especially the smaller MSO companies. At this point, if somebody is still with traditional cable, they'll either stay there or take the forced ads of the cable-like alternatives.

However, with a possible shift in TiVo toward streaming themselves soon after company split-up, it does seem like a better fit down that market path with an audience that has already proven they will accept it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone seeing the ads have the ability to see where they are coming from (via your router, firewall, etc)? It would be interesting to know the servers (presuming they are streamed not local).

Just switched TiVo to my pi-hole (DNS service) and it's using the following during a connection.

sls.tivoservice.com
h1.tivoservice.com
mm1.tivoservice.com
Interested in this. I don't own a PyHole but would like to hear more if you have additional findings.

Seriously though, we have Disney+ coming out, Apple TV+ coming out. The market is becoming even more saturated with options. THIS is the strategic move Tivo wants to make?? Good luck with that.

P.S. FU Tivo

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just checked some recent recordings and can confirm the blue spinning circle, 3 seconds of blank black screen delay, with pause icon in upper right hand corner. So perhaps this is placeholder logic for the ads.
Blue spinning circle is definitely the clue that you will soon see pre-roll ads. Enjoy! (and please do flood Tivo with many many thank you calls and posts)

This is what happens when you hire a CEO that found a way to monetize the friggin' Weather channel.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I have a Roamio OTA with TE4 and have not seen any ads yet either.
So is it only people with a Bolt that are seeing the ads? Maybe that's one reason Tivo had that big trade-in deal recently.
Heh, I was wondering if older boxes won't see the ads if TiVo found them too unresponsive, causing more instability. Have there been any reports of the ads displaying on any Minis, v1/v2 or VOX?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Interested in this. I don't own a PyHole but would like to hear more if you have additional findings.
I keep calling in hoping I'll get the new release as I'm guessing the ads come with it. If and when I do I'll see what server is serving the ads. I presume when pi-hole blocks access (by blocking the DNS lookup) TiVo will gracefully start the recording. Should be able to relatively duplicate the process by disconnecting the Internet? Anyone try such and what did you see...

121 - 140 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.