TiVo Community Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
If I set up a Tivo with TE4, can I call to request ads and then cancel the ads?
So let me get this straight you want the ads just so you can call and complain to have them removed. No offense but that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.:confused:

·
Registered
601 Posts
So let me get this straight you want the ads just so you can call and complain to have them removed. No offense but that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.:confused:
Perhaps he wants to get in on the opt-out train in case they stop allowing opt-outs in the future...
Yes if you call in before seeing ads the rep will just tell you call back when you are receiving the ads as they can not put in an opt out request until you are seeing the ads.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Perhaps he wants to get in on the opt-out train in case they stop allowing opt-outs in the future...
I imagine he wants to express his displeasure with the idea of pre-roll advertisements. I'm going to vote with my wallet and just not buy any more TiVos.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Oh, nice! They have upgraded it since the last time I looked! So they can provide the hardware, 60 hours of cloud storage, accurate guide data, AND on-demand access for $5 less per month than Tivo AND have no pre-roll ads. I realize that Comcast doesn't need to make as much money on their DVR service, but still, tell me again how Tivo provides me less for more and still needs to get a few dollars more per year out of ads that make the Tivo experience worse?
Just FYI, the new pricing scheme that Comcast has rolled out in parts of their footprint (and will almost certainly spread everywhere) is this: DVR service (whether 60 hrs cloud-only or local+cloud) costs $10/mo for the account. And then whatever model X1 boxes you rent are $5/mo each. You can go 100% IPTV and just get simple wireless X1 boxes with no tuners or hard drive and exclusively rely on cloud DVR. (Or, if you go 100% IPTV, you're not forced to rent any boxes at all; you can just use the Stream app on your Roku or smart TV at no additional charge, at least for now while it's still officially in beta.) Or you can (for now, at least) still get physical X1 DVRs, which use a hybrid QAM/IPTV system. Either way, you pay $5 for the box and $10 for the DVR service itself.

Also, they now have three core channel packages: Basic, Extra and Preferred. Extra and Preferred come with 20 hours of free cloud DVR at no extra cost. You only pay the $10 DVR service fee if you upgrade to 60 hours of cloud DVR (or take a physical DVR box, which necessarily also includes 60 hours of cloud storage).

TiVo lovers like to hate on X1 and I'm sure they have valid points in terms of its day-to-day use. But in the bit of time that I played around with it, after setting up a friend's box, I thought that the UI looked really slick and integrated on-demand very nicely. And the voice input worked really fast and accurately. Still though, you're not going to be able to store nearly as much as with a TiVo, or have the kind of power-user features that many TiVo users enjoy. Trade-offs...

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Yes, embarrassing. Some elements of TE3 are still in SD! The whole interface looks like it's from the late 1990's. On a 75" 4K TV? Yes, it's a bit cringe-worthy.
I believe only the cable card stuff and system logs are still SD.
Right and the CableCARD menu's are passthrough from the CableCARD. The rest of the SD menu's were upgraded 2 years ago and UI/menu's brought up to the Bolt TE3 standard (which everyone complained about with color changes, etc)

I don't see any issues with the TE3 interface myself but I tend to like simple (sorry only a 65" plasma here without 4K). :)

Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you used one of them recently? The UI and overall UX is terrible. I wouldn't use one of those for my living room TV setup if you paid me a monthly fee to do so.

I do like the cloud backup feature, though. I'll give them props for that.
I have. It's different, to be sure, but in many ways I actually like it better than TE 4. Tradeoffs to be sure, but the way it integrates On-Demand is good, the online experience is better, and remote play just "works". Lately, I can't say the same of Tivo. My Mini works for a few days, then the box needs to be rebooted. Then streaming works for a few weeks, then the box needs to be rebooted. Much may have been solved here with Edge, but with pre-roll ads, it's just not a gamble I want to take, especially with Comcast moving to IPTV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just FYI, the new pricing scheme that Comcast has rolled out in parts of their footprint (and will almost certainly spread everywhere) is this: DVR service (whether 60 hrs cloud-only or local+cloud) costs $10/mo for the account. And then whatever model X1 boxes you rent are $5/mo each. You can go 100% IPTV and just get simple wireless X1 boxes with no tuners or hard drive and exclusively rely on cloud DVR. (Or, if you go 100% IPTV, you're not forced to rent any boxes at all; you can just use the Stream app on your Roku or smart TV at no additional charge, at least for now while it's still officially in beta.) Or you can (for now, at least) still get physical X1 DVRs, which use a hybrid QAM/IPTV system. Either way, you pay $5 for the box and $10 for the DVR service itself.

Also, they now have three core channel packages: Basic, Extra and Preferred. Extra and Preferred come with 20 hours of free cloud DVR at no extra cost. You only pay the $10 DVR service fee if you upgrade to 60 hours of cloud DVR (or take a physical DVR box, which necessarily also includes 60 hours of cloud storage).

TiVo lovers like to hate on X1 and I'm sure they have valid points in terms of its day-to-day use. But in the bit of time that I played around with it, after setting up a friend's box, I thought that the UI looked really slick and integrated on-demand very nicely. And the voice input worked really fast and accurately. Still though, you're not going to be able to store nearly as much as with a TiVo, or have the kind of power-user features that many TiVo users enjoy. Trade-offs...
I live in an association that provides cable + internet for a bulk rate (it's super cheap). With that, I get 3 free boxes, and a free cable modem. So at least for me, the DVR service won't change. That said, even if the DVR service is identical in price to Tivo, I don't have the up-front cost of buying the box, and when the equipment gets older, I can just swap it out (since it's a lease).

I have had both the "old" motorola boxes in the past, as well as the X1 box (no DVR). IMO, each solution has trade-offs. The power user features are really nice with Tivo, the ability to move shows to PC is really awesome, and the ability to upgrade Hard Drives is great too (have done this twice, even when it was harder). Overall, I did PREFER the Tivo, but it was only slightly, over the X1 boxes. For me, ads tip the scales just enough. I will keep my Tivo, I will opt out of ads, but I will NOT give Tivo another dime until the practice stops. If they reverse course, great. If not, when this Tivo dies, I'll get an X1 box and see if I can tolerate it. If not, I may try Channels. At this point, both are slightly cheaper overall (and Channels would give me an excuse to get a NAS, just have to see if TV Everywhere works enough for me during the trial first).

To me personally, TE4 and X1 are pretty similar UI's. I have a harder time seeing, so the X1 wins out slightly (although I get around this by using the app when I need to see the guide) in that regard. As I stated above, remote play, watching on PC's, tablets, etc. and playing on secondary boxes is more stable on X1, but the Tivo UI is slightly faster (until the ads start, I don't need yet another chance to see a BSC). Voice on X1 is a killer feature (but I am sure it's great with VOX too).

·
Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
Oh, nice! They have upgraded it since the last time I looked! So they can provide the hardware, 60 hours of cloud storage, accurate guide data, AND on-demand access for $5 less per month than Tivo AND have no pre-roll ads. I realize that Comcast doesn't need to make as much money on their DVR service, but still, tell me again how Tivo provides me less for more and still needs to get a few dollars more per year out of ads that make the Tivo experience worse?
Different company, different business model. Comcast has scale, and their primary profit driver is broadband, not the TV portion of things. They probably make some money on the VOD, premiums, box rentals, etc, but they are at best scraping out a thin margin on their TV packages.

X1 is "good enough" for the masses, but it's certainly no TiVo. Most of the X1 boxes (excluding the XG1v4 on Comcast, Cox does't have it yet AFAIK) are slow and clunky in comparison to TiVo, and all X1 boxes have a clunkier UI than TiVo, with more menus to click through, and fewer features. They also don't have 2-3TB hard drives like TiVos. The X1 boxes also throw a fit when the network goes down, and they either can't play anything back or are very limited on functionality. Also, with a TiVo you can switch QAM-based providers and keep your recordings if you're lucky enough to have multiple QAM providers, or if you have certain TiVo models, switch from cable to OTA.

The two advantages X1 has are the T9-esque remote, which is pretty cool for typing without needing an app or a flip-out keyboard like TiVo, and VOD, which I believe is completely gone from TiVo on Comcast.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm on TE3 now on all my Tivos. I have an unsubscribed Roamio OTA. I want to activate it month to month with TE4, but not use it. Then contact Tivo to acquire the ads so I can then cancel the ads. Then cancel the subscription. Then if I ever move to TE4 in the future, I won't be interrupted with the ads.

Reactions: Noelmel

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm on TE3 now on all my Tivos. I have an unsubscribed Roamio OTA. I want to activate it month to month with TE4, but not use it. Then contact Tivo to acquire the ads so I can then cancel the ads. Then cancel the subscription. Then if I ever move to TE4 in the future, I won't be interrupted with the ads.
That will only work if "cancel pre-roll ads" is applied to the account rather than each individual TiVo. I don't think we've been given enough information to know just how that works.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I live in an association that provides cable + internet for a bulk rate (it's super cheap). With that, I get 3 free boxes, and a free cable modem. So at least for me, the DVR service won't change. That said, even if the DVR service is identical in price to Tivo, I don't have the up-front cost of buying the box, and when the equipment gets older, I can just swap it out (since it's a lease).

I have had both the "old" motorola boxes in the past, as well as the X1 box (no DVR). IMO, each solution has trade-offs. The power user features are really nice with Tivo, the ability to move shows to PC is really awesome, and the ability to upgrade Hard Drives is great too (have done this twice, even when it was harder). Overall, I did PREFER the Tivo, but it was only slightly, over the X1 boxes. For me, ads tip the scales just enough. I will keep my Tivo, I will opt out of ads, but I will NOT give Tivo another dime until the practice stops. If they reverse course, great. If not, when this Tivo dies, I'll get an X1 box and see if I can tolerate it. If not, I may try Channels. At this point, both are slightly cheaper overall (and Channels would give me an excuse to get a NAS, just have to see if TV Everywhere works enough for me during the trial first).

To me personally, TE4 and X1 are pretty similar UI's. I have a harder time seeing, so the X1 wins out slightly (although I get around this by using the app when I need to see the guide) in that regard. As I stated above, remote play, watching on PC's, tablets, etc. and playing on secondary boxes is more stable on X1, but the Tivo UI is slightly faster (until the ads start, I don't need yet another chance to see a BSC). Voice on X1 is a killer feature (but I am sure it's great with VOX too).
Speaking of a NAS with Channels... I have a Synology that I use but I've also used one of those little WD My Cloud Home drives and it works perfectly with Channels. A cheap solution.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Different company, different business model. Comcast has scale, and their primary profit driver is broadband, not the TV portion of things. They probably make some money on the VOD, premiums, box rentals, etc, but they are at best scraping out a thin margin on their TV packages.

X1 is "good enough" for the masses, but it's certainly no TiVo. Most of the X1 boxes (excluding the XG1v4 on Comcast, Cox does't have it yet AFAIK) are slow and clunky in comparison to TiVo, and all X1 boxes have a clunkier UI than TiVo, with more menus to click through, and fewer features. They also don't have 2-3TB hard drives like TiVos. The X1 boxes also throw a fit when the network goes down, and they either can't play anything back or are very limited on functionality. Also, with a TiVo you can switch QAM-based providers and keep your recordings if you're lucky enough to have multiple QAM providers, or if you have certain TiVo models, switch from cable to OTA.

The two advantages X1 has are the T9-esque remote, which is pretty cool for typing without needing an app or a flip-out keyboard like TiVo, and VOD, which I believe is completely gone from TiVo on Comcast.
You don't really have to flip through the menus, just use the voice feature. It's almost flawless taking you to settings and features.

·
TiVo Fan
1,758 Posts
Sure, "recordings." But what about time-shifted live TV? Can you trick play? Pause, instant replay, rewind in LIVE tv?

And no auto-skip? That doesn't sound very consumer friendly, at least compared to TiVo.
time shifted live tv is recording....... ?? For Vue you can skip back and pause, I believe it only buffers for 5 minutes if you haven't set up the show as a recording. If you have it's the same as Tivo. The skip back is 10 second increments for every press. Auto skip is when Tivo manually goes through and puts markers, with its own staff - that's a Tivo thing, which you pay them for indirectly through your purchase.

The negative for those that care, is you can only keep DVR recordings for 28 days. I don't care since I don't stockpile recordings, I just watch them and move on.

·
TiVo Fan
1,758 Posts
"Antiquated and embrassing" referred to how it looks and feels. The overall interface, the design of the screens and the layout.

It has nothing to do with functionalities I personally find useless. I *also* never used Suggestions.
I also never used suggestions. But you might benefit from taking a look at yourself from the outside view and realize you're very fanboy about defensive about old Tivo stuff due to the fact that you've been around since 2000. New isn't always bad, and nostalgia isn't always good.

·
Registered
New Custom Title
83,122 Posts
I also never used suggestions. But you might benefit from taking a look at yourself from the outside view and realize you're very fanboy about defensive about old Tivo stuff due to the fact that you've been around since 2000.
Hahahaaaaaa, you couldn't be further from the truth, I have harshly criticized TiVo for this, and very many other things over the years.

New isn't always bad, and nostalgia isn't always good.
Um... yeah, and I've been saying I vastly appreciate TE4 over TE3 and regret waiting as long as I did to upgrade. What are you going on about?

·
TiVo Fan
1,758 Posts
Hahahaaaaaa, you couldn't be further from the truth, I have harshly criticized TiVo for this, and very many other things over the years.

Um... yeah, and I've been saying I vastly appreciate TE4 over TE3 and regret waiting as long as I did to upgrade. What are you going on about?
maybe I misunderstood. You were saying that you like the simplicity of the older interface, no?

1321 - 1340 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.