TiVo Community Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 2517 Posts

· Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
What we need is a thread to just dealing with the problem, what to do, who to call vs a complaint thread. Just a thought.
But then it wouldn't be TCF if we had threads that actually had a single topic and stuck to it!!

· Bored
4,334 Posts
^ I feel most people I have seen report they successfully got them removed so far have been monthly. I'm on lifetime myself so hope that's not the case. But I feel they have better leverage to threaten to cancel. Whereas they already got my money.
I'm Lifetime and successfully got them removed from by OTA Bolt. I e-mailed them, they replied with the 72 hour window, and they are now gone.

· Registered
3,212 Posts
The only customers that have any recourse are the retail customers and retail customers are such a small percentage of their business. The revenue potential must be significant for Tivo to push something like this that they know most customers would instinctively decline.

· Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
The only customers that have any recourse are the retail customers and retail customers are such a small percentage of their business. The revenue potential must be significant for Tivo to push something like this that they know most customers would instinctively decline.
I'm sure they're making some money off of it, but I'd have to think there's a grander plan to partner with MSOs and/or integrate ads into their future streaming service.

· Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm sure they're making some money off of it, but I'd have to think there's a grander plan to partner with MSOs and/or integrate ads into their future streaming service.
Exactly and I doubt it will be so easy for an MSO customer to opt out.

Reactions: Bigg

· Registered
112 Posts
Right, and retail is just, as many have suggested previously, their beta sandbox.
I assume MSO customers have no choice but to run TE4? Maybe that's why there have been no updates to TE3 for over a year, and they indicated no plans to add preroll ads to TE3. They don't need us TE3 people to beta test for MSO customers, so we get left out of things like this, and any other nasty plans they and the MSOs have cooked up for those captive customers.

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
I think MSO customers simply have no choice; they get whatever their provider decides, whether TE3 or 4, and whatever streaming apps the provider allows, if any.
I know someone with a TiVo from Mediacom (Delaware). They were pushed on to TE4 about three or four months ago.

I know someone with their own TiVo on Antietam (western Maryland). They have the option to upgrade to TE4 but haven't yet done so.

· TDL shepherd
17,903 Posts
I know someone with a TiVo from Mediacom (Delaware). They were pushed on to TE4 about three or four months ago.

I know someone with their own TiVo on Antietam (western Maryland). They have the option to upgrade to TE4 but haven't yet done so.
Right, retail owners have the freedom to choose, where the only downside is usually lack of access to the provider's on-demand library via the TiVo (with a few exceptions).

· Registered
31 Posts
Here's a video of what happens with Young Sheldon on CBS

www.andyf.com/IMG_0950.MOV
Wow that is really unfortunate for multiple reasons. They clearly are no longer focused on the users experience and more in short term revenue grabs. Before you know they'll be selling our personal info with viewing habits to advertisers. Wait they already do that.

· Registered
31 Posts
My take... since virtually the rest of the world is doing such I can't logically get upset. And in reality I'm saving more time with AutoSkip - as in if I had to pick both or neither I'd pick both. Although I don't think it will be implemented in all devices. As an example with Amazon's Kindle you can purchase the same tablet with ads
I'm not familiar with any other dvr/hardware that you run locally where ads are inserted. I might be wrong but I thought that was sorta the idea when you make the upfront purchase for hardware, you get to decide what goes on it.

· Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Heard from a friend in the beta program that they are looking for people to test a "patch" for TE3 this month. No further details were given.
That could be worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1121 - 1140 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.