TiVo Community Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 2517 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
I said absolutely nothing about when I sent in the email or how long it has been. Why do you jump to such a pointedly insulting conclusion?
That you still didn't bother to state the time of submission I'll assume that the conclusion was correct, however insulting.

NEW UPDATE: Here is the Good news - TiVo support actually DID send me an email yesterday morning concerning this case, and it stated specifically that they were requesting the update to stop the advertising, but it would take up to 72 hours (just like the responses others have reported). I have no explanation on why that email did not show up on either my computer or my cell phone until just now (over 30 hours after the header shows it was sent);
Chuckle.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Ok, I called and told them I want the pre-roll ads stopped. They said they have to request it, they put me on hold for a bit while they called someone else I guess (probably to see if I "qualify" to have them stopped). Came back and said they will be removed, within 48-72 hours. I asked them if I would get an email when done (since I do have to reboot), they said yes, we shall see on that part.

I did emphasize the ads DO NOT WORK AT ALL on my DSL, spinning circles or black screens, ad never loads at all (and recording never plays.) And she added it to my case number, I mentioned they really need to test with DSL and/or low internet speeds. So again we shall see. Since Tivo Ted says as far as he knows they will not be blocking "side grades" to TE3 I may keep TE4 awhile longer if the ads do go away. But in long run I will probably go back to TE3, for my purposes it's better, other than auto skip. And I'm not SURE the opt out will last forever...............

·
Registered
370 Posts
So here is what I found out during a long chat with Tivo.

If you are on TE3 (rep called it classic TE3 software) you will not have ads so no need to call.

If you are on TE3 and go to TE4 do not call until you start seeing ads as they can not put in an opt out request until you are seeing ads.

If you are already on TE4 do not call until you start seeing ads as once again they can do nothing until you are actually seeing the ads.
Did they happen to mention if Roamios were "eligible" boxes and would also receive the ads or just Bolts and newer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You know I wonder. Say you are "opted out" on the pre-rolls. Then you decide to "side grade" to TE3. I wonder what would happen if you decided to go back to TE4 in the future. Would you get the pre-rolls again or would your account still be opted out since you did it before? NOT going to test, too much involved but interesting.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I do like your use of the term "side grading". For ME, being a strictly record/watch person TE3 is an "upgrade" from TE4. Only thing "I" would/will miss on TE4 is auto skip. And hey, if I had to I could do without regular skip, I was a pro at fast forwarding just enough where the few second pullback would leave me right where I wanted to be ;)
Yup same. Most programs overlay the show rating for a few seconds in the upper left corner. So I just look for that, hit play, and BAM I'm where I need to be

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
I did not ask but it was said that eligible boxes are those running TE4 so if the Roamio was on TE4 then it should get the ads.
This is why people keep asking/digging. TiVo keeps saying "eligible boxes" but that's an undefined term to date.

If they were pushing ads to all TE4 boxes, I'd think they could just say "TE4" rather than "eligible." Bottom line, I haven't seen anyone report the ads as present, yet, on a TE4 Roamio or Mini - but that might just be because they're only pushing 'em to the more powerful BOLT platform for the first wave. As a cruel trick, maybe they'll only be pushed to the fastest, newest boxes ... BOLTs and the Edge, running TE4.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is why people keep asking/digging. TiVo keeps saying "eligible boxes" but that's an undefined term to date.

If they were pushing ads to all TE4 boxes, I'd think they could just say "TE4" rather than "eligible." Bottom line, I haven't seen anyone report the ads as present, yet, on a TE4 Roamio or Mini - but that might just be because they're only pushing 'em to the more powerful BOLT platform for the first wave. As a cruel trick, maybe they'll only be pushed to the fastest, newest boxes ... BOLTs and the Edge, running TE4.
I asked @TiVo_Ted on here and in a PM if Roamios are "eligible boxes" and will be getting the ads too. Hopefully he will reply and let us know!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Seems like Tivo should ping the customers's Tivo before enabling the pre-roll ad feature to ensure the ping time does not exceed the latency threshold to stream the ad.

Reactions: Noelmel

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Ok, I called and told them I want the pre-roll ads stopped. They said they have to request it, they put me on hold for a bit while they called someone else I guess (probably to see if I "qualify" to have them stopped). Came back and said they will be removed, within 48-72 hours. I asked them if I would get an email when done (since I do have to reboot), they said yes, we shall see on that part.

I did emphasize the ads DO NOT WORK AT ALL on my DSL, spinning circles or black screens, ad never loads at all (and recording never plays.) And she added it to my case number, I mentioned they really need to test with DSL and/or low internet speeds. So again we shall see. Since Tivo Ted says as far as he knows they will not be blocking "side grades" to TE3 I may keep TE4 awhile longer if the ads do go away. But in long run I will probably go back to TE3, for my purposes it's better, other than auto skip. And I'm not SURE the opt out will last forever...............
Are you able to stream using any of the Tivo apps like Youtube and if you can't, does that lock up your Tivo in the same manner?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Are you able to stream using any of the Tivo apps like Youtube and if you can't, does that lock up your Tivo in the same manner?
I rarely use the apps but You Tube is working fine. Occasionally over the years I've used Netflix, Hulu and Amazon also. Never had any problems. My DSL is as fast as is offered by me, 6Mbps (tests around 5Mbs). I used to have around 700Kbs (so some people might still have), if the pre-rolls don't work with 6/5Mbps imagine 700Kbps.

Whew, I was testing the pre-rolls and forgot to check back to see how it was going (had the blue circle). I was on a different input actually watching something, then went out. HOURS later I went back to the Bolt, the spinning circle was still there. I will have to check my DSL usage, I only get 150GB a month, the blue circle was probably spinning half a day, hope it was not using internet the whole time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been receiving these ads for several days now. It’s random which recordings it plays on, but frequent. The same ad every time. An obnoxious car sales ad, and not in English!

So, TiVo gives us AutoSkip to skip commercials, and then runs commercials prior to our recordings!?! What are they thinking? I didn’t spend $1,000 to watch ads. Yes, you can (currently) skip the ad with a FFWD but why should we have to? Not at all happy with TiVo.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Hey guess what, as of today the pre-rolls are working on my DSL. Circle spins a second or so then the ad plays (and can skip with button push). Not sure what was going on past couple days, maybe when I called they looked into it. I don't like the ads of course but only a few seconds to get past.
And so, such a quandry: are we happy about this? ;)

·
Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
Seems like Tivo should ping the customers's Tivo before enabling the pre-roll ad feature to ensure the ping time does not exceed the latency threshold to stream the ad.
It's not latency though. This would work fine on satellite internet, since the modern satellite systems have 25mbps, even though they have crazy high pings. Not that you'd want to burn up your bandwidth on TiVo ads, but it would work if you really, really want an OTA DVR. It might not work on a very slow DSL connection, even though pings are relatively low, since the bandwidth is so small.

This is an edge case either way, since it would only happen to rural users with OTA reception but no cable available and an OTA TiVo, but it's still an edge case that someone will run into.

1081 - 1100 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.