TiVo Community Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 2517 Posts

· OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,737 Posts
TiVo-Ted confirmed this, but he also slyly left the door open a bit by saying it would only work if you met the right criteria (and choose not to tell us what the magic criteria is). I'm guessing you just have to be mad enough.

· Registered
721 Posts
There are some free cellular data plans that have enough data to download Tivo guide information every month but not enough to stream video as well as paid broadband and cellular plans with data caps. I think Tivo should warm people about the additional data will be consumed by the pre-roll ads.
If Rovi/TiVo gave two hoots about us, Rovi/TiVo wouldn't be using us.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,407 Posts
This defeats the whole purpose of me having a Tivo. I paid for the ability to be, commercial free.
No you didn't. They don't sell "commercial free" DVRs. No one does. They record what you set them to record. If you choose to skip over parts, which may be commercials, that's your choice. They are NOT commercial free.

It's time to leave this thread. It's gone from informational, to vitriolic and useless. Maybe someone can start a thread for the sole purpose of discussing the workings of this new feature. Without all the hand-wringing.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Ya know all this "I paid Tivo to be commercial free" . Really? We've had SKIP mode for less than a year. What did you do before that?? You pressed a button to skip commercials. Here's the kicker- those of you rolling back to not see pre rolls are doing up to 12 button pushes during breaks. You are trading skip mode for roughly 40 extra button pushes AN HOUR to skip commercials. I don't get it.

· Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
Ya know all this "I paid Tivo to be commercial free" . Really? We've had SKIP mode for less than a year. What did you do before that?? You pressed a button to skip commercials. Here's the kicker- those of you rolling back to not see pre rolls are doing up to 12 button pushes during breaks. You are trading skip mode for roughly 40 extra button pushes AN HOUR to skip commercials. I don't get it.
I'm confused on this one. Skip Mode is on my TE3 box so I only use maybe 4 or 5 button pushes an hour, or maybe I should say per hour program to be more precise. If it's a channel that doesn't have Skip aren't we all(both TE3 and TE4 users) hitting around the same amount of button presses or does TE4 have more than 3 FF speeds?

Reactions: Noelmel and Mikeguy

· Registered
New Custom Title
82,081 Posts
I also don't understand why anyone would downgrade back to TE3 specifically over the pre-roll ad issue, when we've already been told that if/when we get pre-roll ads on TE4, we can call TiVo and have them turn them off for our account.

· Registered
63 Posts
No you didn't. They don't sell "commercial free" DVRs. No one does. They record what you set them to record. If you choose to skip over parts, which may be commercials, that's your choice. They are NOT commercial free.

It's time to leave this thread. It's gone from informational, to vitriolic and useless. Maybe someone can start a thread for the sole purpose of discussing the workings of this new feature. Without all the hand-wringing.
I even have a title for you to use - "Tivo apologists safe space"

· Registered
1,630 Posts
TV is not supposed be work. Turn it on hit the play button and go. Skip mode helped with that. I don't get it either. o_O

· Registered
276 Posts
I don't know if you notice, but impartial real realism seems to be keeping West Coast hrs.
Never hear it on East Coast workday mornings. Hmm
What in the actual hell does that mean? I live in NY. I don't know where Mike lives but I also don't care nor do I think he works for Tivo.

The moderators may want to take control of this thread before someone starts posting pics of Big Foot carrying a peanut remote.

· Registered
348 Posts
For those getting the pre-roll ads, has the transition into and back from the pre-roll been smoothed out into a more seamless system? The original video of the pre-roll seemed a bit, er, clunky. ;)

(I realize that it's only been around a week since pre-roll came out, affording TiVo's engineers little time to work on this, if that's even an intent of the company.)
Absolutely. I moved a Premiere Lifetime to a new Bolt during the last sale. Had several weeks of use prior to pre-rolls. Blue circle delays galore when it hit. Removing them fixed everything. Just an awful implementation of a bad idea. I would expect that anybody calling in to complain when they eventually are afflicted will be allowed to opt out. It sounds like they are doing this on an account level, not box related.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Well I was willing to give it a try. On my TE4 Bolt. Just got the ad "feature". Well kind of. I'm on DSL. Went to play a show. Blue spinning circle. But it did not go away. Just kept going and going. Finally hit the Tivo button. Went back to menu but there was a delay before it got there. Tried playing another show. Black screen. Tivo button. Different show, blue spinning circle that does not end. Decided to try a reboot. It rebooted, BUT then nothing but black screen, says "no signal". When I use remote the yellow light flashes on the Tivo but nothing happens, no signal. So I unplug it and plug it back in. Boots up, I get a picture. So I try playing a show. Same infinite spinning circle (well it's been going about 15 minutes now). I tried with an open mind, this is what I got, never even got to an ad. Will call tomorrow to "opt out" but I think I'm going to roll back to TE3 regardless, glad I've been transferring my recordings to another Tivo. Not sure what is going on, my DSL is slooooow of course but it looks like it will not work at all with DSL, assuming that is the problem. Anyone else using DSL? I am on direct ethernet by the way, no Wifi.

1021 - 1040 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.