TiVo Community Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Fight what's wrong or bend over. I rather fight than catch a social transmitted disease of except nothing and get nothing.

On one hand a few say they are tired hearing the solutions, one the other hand they want to talk about the problem only until it is an acceptable problem, but both their hands are flat and firmly planted on the floor.
The operative term. Some of us, in analyzing matters, just don't see it here (as a legal/contractual matter).

·
Registered
721 Posts
We have a new Bolt OTA, and as of yet no ads. Maybe if every time there was an ad, we all notify the advertiser, that we will be boycotting the product. They may decide to pull the ad from TIVO. It may not get rid of them all but cut down on the amount. We're still too dependent on TIVO to let this be a deal breaker for us. Plus, when you've already purchased the lifetime, there isn't much leverage to say we're leaving. Sorry if somebody suggested this already, but I didn't want to go through all the posts.
Sounds like a good project for FaceBook. Please feel free to go there and try it.
Sounds like a great idea. Sounds like you know that descent is the essence of democracy. You say right here. This is your home. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
The operative term. Some of us, in analyzing matters, just don't see it here (as a legal/contractual matter).
Fight what's wrong or bend over. I rather fight than catch a social transmitted disease of except nothing and get nothing.

On one hand a few say they are tired hearing the solutions, one the other hand they want to talk about the problem only until it is an acceptable problem, but both their hands are flat and firmly planted on the floor.
Oh, note, the use of the plural, solutions. You got me double checking.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
You know Mike you say you are offering impartial judgement, and I believe you believe this. However, you also say, it's facing reality, which has a lot of judging going on in it. :)
I'm facing the reality of the law and facts as I see them here, not trying to do anything else. But of course, that's judgment . . . . ;) I'm not saying that people can't react otherwise, and there can be a benefit to that.* E.g. expressing views publicly, on Twitter and Facebook; contacting the company. (And, dare I say it, even ultimately non-meritorious lawsuits can serve a purpose.)

* And I'm not denying that maybe my analysis just could be wrong, or there could be other factors.

·
Registered
721 Posts
With apologies to others for yet further discussion here (please just skip this over), but:

1. That's an unfair post: it's not a bias to express an impartial judgment based on the evaluation of the facts as they exist (the fact that you may not like that judgment does not establish bias)--it's facing reality. 2. The TiVo user agreements say that TiVo may change its service how it wants and when it wants--that seems to be a barrier to a user lawsuit over not liking how TiVo changes its service how it wants and when it wants.* But if you have a logical position and analysis otherwise, please do tell (in a separate thread).

* I can see how this barrier could be overcome in some more extreme circumstances--such as, if TiVo were to change its service simply to eliminate it, or most of its functionality. But a judge likely would find, in that circumstance, that TiVo was not acting in the spirit and intent of the user agreement, but to defeat it. Adding pre-roll ads simply is nowhere near that, as far as I can see.
Not busting chops.

You know, Mike, you say you are offering impartial judgement, and I believe you believe this. However, you also say, it's facing reality, which has a lot of judging going on in it. :)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
For those getting the pre-roll ads, has the transition into and back from the pre-roll been smoothed out into a more seamless system? The original video of the pre-roll seemed a bit, er, clunky. ;)

(I realize that it's only been around a week since pre-roll came out, affording TiVo's engineers little time to work on this, if that's even an intent of the company.)

·
Retired
14,899 Posts
Me too. I found TE3 so ugly and clunky, and the fact that it still has SDUI elements was kind of pathetic. And TE4 feels more streamlined and elegant. Auto com skip is great but the new feature I really wouldn't be able to give up is CEC remote control. At least with my setup, that made things a lot easier and more straightforward.

When and if I see one of these new pre-roll ads on my lifetime Roamio or my Minis, I will be calling TiVo to have them turn them off. I, too, have had TiVo in my home since their beginning, and we always used to argue about "the slippery slope" of them inserting ads, like on the pause screen. Adding a video commercial to the front of recorded shows strikes me as vastly worse than that, whether we can skip them or not. Because it's only a matter of time then before they insert more of these video ads, or make the unskippable.

It's just a tacky, sleazy move on their part, I'm kind of disgusted by it, even just in principle.
Wow, I had forgotten about when they inserted ads on the pause screen! Hopefully the pre-roll ads will go away, too, just like the pause ads.

·
Registered
291 Posts

I'll "bend over" to put my Tivos in a box the day I sell them to ship them to an EBay buyer. Until then I will keep using my Tivo's because they already have my money - my money is sunk. I'm not going to throw more perfectly good money at a lawsuit that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. That doesn't sound "brave" to me - that sounds foolish. For now, I've reverted back to TE3 and could opt-out if I decide to give TE4 another try some day. I'll continue to stand tall and complain about their strategy on social media and forums and to Tivo directly - no bending over necessary. No lawyers necessary either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a new Bolt and I thought I was going crazy. When I play a recording the screen goes black with the spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds, then an advertisement plays for about 15 secs, then the recording starts. If you go back and play from the beginning you'll see a different ad. The ones I remember seeing are for Toyota, Keurig and Amazon.

It seems you can skip the ad by pressing fast forward but it's not that seamless.

Anyone else?
Personally, as a long time customer of 3 Tivo units (from the Series-1 to the present design) I think this latest move by the Tivo Organization is a betrayal! It is a bait-and-switch move on their part. This defeats the whole purpose of me having a Tivo. I paid for the ability to be, commercial free. Now they, not only took my money, but they have the nerve to charge me for watching their commercials, and stealing my hard drive space on top of that. If they are going to do that then they should refund our "Lifetime Subscription" fees, for each and every Tivo unit that has that agreement, and I own. Tivo, you don't get to make a contract with us, charge us for it, then arbitrarily break it whenever you feel like it, and keep the money. That is stealing. If the Tivo company continues down this path, I for one will end my relationship with Tivo in the future, and find other options. Reverting back is not an option for me right now, since the "recordings Transfer function" also no longer works, for some strange reason, it has been workin all along. I would loose all my present recordings if I did. Tivo, you took a beautifully designed recorder, and are about to ruin it, because of greed.

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
When are they supposed to start doing the pre-roll ads for everyone?
I checked again last night and I still don't see anything from my two Minis, two Bolts, and Roamio.

Reactions: Noelmel

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
There are some free cellular data plans that have enough data to download Tivo guide information every month but not enough to stream video as well as paid broadband and cellular plans with data caps. I think Tivo should warm people about the additional data will be consumed by the pre-roll ads.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
So you can call and opt out?
yes - some people have been successful in getting them removed from TE4 boxes by contacting customer support by calling, email and even chat. But it seems that the company has no intention of sharing this information with the customer base at large. If you know the secret password, you can dump this garbage!

1001 - 1020 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.