TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Can we keep at least one thread centered on what's actually happening... :)
If you've read through the thread so far, I think that's what's actually happening is pretty well established. What more is there to say?

Here are the facts: TiVo owners running TE4 (Hydra) are seeing streaming pre-roll video ads that TiVo is inserting before they begin playback of their regular TV recordings. It's been confirmed by TiVo via Twitter with remarks that seem to indicate that this is now normal behavior and not some sort of limited experiment that isn't ultimately intended for their existing retail customers. The ads can be skipped/FF past, although (at least right now), doing so is a bit sluggish.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Perhaps this was an 'intended beta' for their Edge plans - now that it's leaked and further leaked that even TE3 users have been asked to do testing maybe there actually is reason for concern. Maybe an 'opt-out' w/fee or no commercial skip until you agree! I've a new Bolt that's not even out of the wrap so I may look into a return. These leaks could be enough of an argument I'd think to justify![/QUOTE
Return it, send them a message they can read from you and all of us. It's a Bolt and it doesn't have stellar reviews.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you've read through the thread so far, I think that's what's actually happening is pretty well established. What more is there to say?

Here are the facts: TiVo owners running TE4 (Hydra) are seeing streaming pre-roll video ads that TiVo is inserting before they begin playback of their regular TV recordings. It's been confirmed by TiVo via Twitter with remarks that seem to indicate that this is now normal behavior and not some sort of limited experiment that isn't ultimately intended for their existing retail customers. The ads can be skipped/FF past, although (at least right now), doing so is a bit sluggish.
I don't know that there's been what you could say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 have the same experience! Until there's a 'majority of TE4 users that can confirm your implied 'FACT' actually is more speculation!!!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I don't know that there's been what you could say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 have the same experience! Until there's a 'majority of TE4 users that can confirm your implied 'FACT' actually is more speculation!!!
Learn to read, sir. Nowhere in my statement does it say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 are seeing these ads. (Yet, anyway.) How could anyone know with any certainty whether a certain feature/bug is affecting ALL TiVo users anyhow? What we do know is that several folks on TE4 (but, I believe, none on TE3) have confirmed that they are seeing these pre-roll ads. And TiVo has confirmed that this is happening and that's it's apparently not some isolated freak thing.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
So far it has "hit" two users I believe and the tweet doesn't go along with their take... the story is far from written and for once it would be nice to read a thread focused on current events not ramblings of little or no interest.
OK, Charles R. You go ahead and tell us what the story is. Please. Add to the conversation here on this thread. Enlighten us. What do you have to say?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
My take... since virtually the rest of the world is doing such I can't logically get upset. And in reality I'm saving more time with AutoSkip - as in if I had to pick both or neither I'd pick both. Although I don't think it will be implemented in all devices. As an example with Amazon's Kindle you can purchase the same tablet with ads (you pay less) or without ads.

If they were to show up illogically I might run out (next decent sale) and purchase a Recast to see how happy I could be with it. Logically even the reduced image quality would be enough to prevent me from switching... but often logical doesn't win out.

PS: I run pi-hole on an ODROID XU4 (Raspberry Pi Killer) along with many other apps (Plex Media Server / MySQL Server / Print Server / Media Server / Etc) and it blocks roughly 27% of my DNS requests (ads and or tracking sites).
Sorry, Charles R. but this post simply doesn't belong on this thread. Why are you posting about the Recast? And the Kindle? And something called the ODROID XU4? Those things have nothing at all to do with what this thread is about.

Please stick to the story at hand or refrain from posting.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Learn to read, sir. Nowhere in my statement does it say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 are seeing these ads. (Yet, anyway.) How could anyone know with any certainty whether a certain feature/bug is affecting ALL TiVo users anyhow? What we do know is that several folks on TE4 (but, I believe, none on TE3) have confirmed that they are seeing these pre-roll ads. And TiVo has confirmed that this is happening and that's it's apparently not some isolated freak thing.
I did READ and nowhere do you mention 'SOME' - the TWEET actually mentions 'SOME DVR' recordings and not all!!!

You're full of the 'I heard it from this guy who was told by this guy over here that this is FACT' and you're use of the 'I THINK' is maybe an abuse of your mind!! Give it a break!!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
So far it has "hit" two users I believe and the tweet doesn't go along with their take... the story is far from written and for once it would be nice to read a thread focused on current events not ramblings of little or no interest.
It's hit at least three users who have reported just in this thread (andyf, edwinyeun, and V7Goose). And how exactly does TiVo's tweet not match what those users are reporting?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I did READ and nowhere do you mention 'SOME' - the TWEET actually mentions 'SOME DVR' recordings and not all!!!

You're full of the 'I heard it from this guy who was told by this guy over here that this is FACT' and you're use of the I THINK is maybe an abuse of your mind!! Give it a break!!
So unless someone specifically says "SOME," you understand it to mean "ALL"? Got it. Excellent reading comprehension skills there, bud.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm wondering if the next step is to roll out a product with free OTA DVR service (perhaps their upcoming $50 TiVo Android TV Stick in conjunction with a Tablo-style network tuner+hard drive). They'll use their existing AutoSkip technology (supplemented by AI-based ad marking for non-primetime shows) in order to automatically skip over all the original ads embedded in the broadcast recording. But instead, they'll force you to watch, let's say, one or two 30-second targeted streaming ads during each ad break.

Lots of cord-cutters would accept that kind of trade-off for free DVR service. Not sure if such a scheme might violate copyright, fair-use, etc. though. Broadcasters would, of course, be up in arms.
Before it goes to Court where TiVo will lose and most likely lose the tiny string holding up legality of skip. We need to find better solutions outside of TiVo if TiVo is selling us out. I don't care who in this Community has a connection or relationships with TiVo.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So unless someone specifically says "SOME," you understand it to mean "ALL"? Got it. Excellent reading comprehension skills there, bud.
Excellent grammar on yours.. Your Post clearly leads that all users using TE4 are seeing this.. When there has been a confirmed 3

This would make more sense

Here are the facts: Several (Three so far) owners running TE4 (Hydra) are seeing streaming pre-roll video ads that TiVo is inserting before they begin playback of their regular TV recordings.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ALL ? Got it. I get the sarcasm

- I doubt there's much wrong with my reading comprehension!! I seem to have sorted your 'SPECULATION' and WAG on more/less a daily basis! To your credit you didn't deny the 'I heard it from this guy, who heard it from this guy over here that this was fact. I've learned to ignore much from @NashGuy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will say this, regardless of how many people have seen it so far, the moment I see an ad before a show I recorded plays is the moment I immediately stop using and recommending Tivo. The service has already gone downhill enough, and at the point they put ads in the beginning, that's the tipping point for me to switch to X1.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Does anyone seeing the ads have the ability to see where they are coming from (via your router, firewall, etc)? It would be interesting to know the servers (presuming they are streamed not local).

Just switched TiVo to my pi-hole (DNS service) and it's using the following during a connection.

sls.tivoservice.com
h1.tivoservice.com
mm1.tivoservice.com

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I was told in a CHAT to set up my Bolt and if the function was there to call back and it could be deactivated!

From the CHAT:

"Okay, I think you are referring to the pre-roll add which shows in Live TV and recordings. Please, setup your box first and check if you have it activated in your new DVR, if so you may reach us back to remove that feature."

I did NOT ask if the deactivation/removal was a once and done for 'Lifetime'.

I couldn't call - I don't speak well enough to use most phones.

81 - 100 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.