TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 78 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
... It sounds to me like they've made some poor coding choices in their implementation of this "feature". It could be very snappy if done correctly.
Why, and why consistently do they do so much incorrectly in the technology area, ahh, not a real tech company since raided by their current jailers, oh owners, fits.

·
Registered
721 Posts
How can we start a campaign against Tivo?

I pay Tivo for service every month.

But now... I am forced to watch a COMMERCIAL before I can watch the RECORDED TV SHOWS that I recorded on my TIVO???

And... I recorded those shows from my CABLE COMPANY... AND MY CABLE COMPANY ***ALSO*** FORCES ME TO WATCH COMMERCIALS EVEN THOUGH I PAY TO RECEIVE THE CABLE CHANNELS???

Jesus! Where does it end?
Know a good law firm, class action suit.
If this generates some revenue and helps to keep TiVo alive, I can deal with having to skip pre-roll ads. It's only TV, after all.
:) Let's all expect nothing better and get nothing better for our money. We all can be dragged into the Rovi loser philosophy together. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
:cool:
So what are you going to do with your $7.35?
I swear we need the equivalent to the Godwin rule that closes a thread for stupidity the minute the phrase "Class Action Suit" is uttered as a possible solution.

The one thing that has been very apparent is the behavior of TCF members, there are folks I've always respected as reasonable and level headed, and they're the same in this volatile thread, and the folks that do not have those traits have also behaved exactly as I'd expected.
Very I insulting making the $7.37 crack, so insultingly personal. Suggesting a class action suit would have no merit and would be useless and worthless, perhaps you're some kind of expert on class action law or have a real strong relationship and connection to TiVo. Perhaps you've been sued, I don't know. But expect nothing and get nothing is not how most healthy people live. This is why there are many laws that protect the average citizen, the average buyer. This why when someone asks and a large group feels they've been wronged or mislead asking what can be done, a legal solution is often looked into because it works for many people on principle.

Although, I personally believe that forcing ads down your throats is not illegal. I think a good law firm might warrant a solution if they see something of a pattern. I think for many here who not directly connected to Rovi/Tivo , who feel wronged, this maybe the best solution if they know a good law firm to have them look at it. What could it hurt, really. No need to go nuclear and for some reason :cool: :cool: Hmmm, take it personally :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes, it benefits future customers by preventing the company (and others like it) from doing that in the future. It might, for example, deter Comcast from adding pre-roll ads to their DVR or Tivo from adding ads in the middle of the recording. But you're right when you say that it won't benefit existing customers.
Class action suit over the Ads, yes, it probably won't benefit existing customers. However, there is a repeated pattern of behavior of TiVo ever since it was bought by Rovi that hasn't been typical of a tech company. Rovi/TiVo pattern of behavior has been that of predator company that raided TiVo. We did not knowingly invest in such a company.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm sorry Joe, but on what grounds do you think we have standing and what laws/regulations could they possibly be violating? Not trying to pick a fight - I am seriously interested. You've been doing battle for a few pages now and I admit I've lost track of this. My apologies for being lazy. Can you recap please?
Yes, I have been defending the class action suit as a possible solution to corporations that go too far.

Those kind of cases and the way they are put together is beyond my resumes, but not beyond my responsibility where I feel there has been wrong doing.

I think a law firm that practices and has some experience with class action law suits should take a long look at the Rovi/TiVo history. If only to see if there is a pattern of behavior that has misrepresented this new Rovi/TiVo company as being a tech company when they were never more a corporate raider who feeds on the carcasses of smaller companies. Could certain resent behavior show and intent to misrepresented themselves to consumers going back to Rovi's takeover. Is Rovi just a miserable little corporate lech, poaching the TiVo brand?

It's not entirely improbable.

Is there enough questions of behavior to prove intent to misrepresent? Possibly. They don't really act like a tech company. They act like draconian blood suckers with no technology solutions to their problems. They don't solve problems like a tech company if they wind up solving them at all. System Designers, you could have fooled me and maybe they have just fooled us. It's not impossible that a company that takes one of its strongest pillars, no ads, and Chews through it like a bunch of insect termites and acts like it's a great business plan is beyond ever lying or misrepresentation.

What's to lose as the customer here? Why not see if in a class action suit by a good law firm if they can connect some dots that could led to a Courtroom and judge seeing a pattern of misrepresentation, which I believe might lead to fraud.

Who knows, if you don't do something, you'll never really know what would happen if you ever did:)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Unless you bought stock in Rovi/TiVo, you didn't invest at all. Buying a product doesn't make you an investor, unless you want to use a very colloquial version of the word. You are a customer, a client, a patron, whatever word you want. You are not an investor.

I've been reading this thread, mainly to keep up with the logistics of this new feature. How it works, how to stop it, will it come to my Roamio, etc. But the whiners are winning. Your non-stop, incessant griping is sidetracking this thread. There will be no class action suit. TiVo hasn't committed a crime. Ninety percent of us just want to know what's going on, and keep up with news about it. And yes, perhaps voice our unhappiness about it. But there is a small handful of you completely hijacking this thread with non-stop, non-productive carping. Yes, you have that right, but all it does it drive away any of us that might have meaningful observations (or not!), just to get away from the complaining.

I agree with whoever above said lock the thread once the phrase class action suit is uttered. Better yet, ban the poster for 24 hours.
People also seek solutions here. But it takes a bully to a know and defend a bully and not hear solutions or silence them. To hide behind the tyrannical idea of low expectations and keeping people powerless and happy with just good enough.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just an intellectual exercise on a possible solution to the Rovi/TiVo bull ****.

That good law firm also will wonder, before agreeing to take the case to begin with, how it is going to get paid, in the absence of monetary damages harm to the plaintiff or plaintiff class (absent the law firm agreeing to take the case on as a pro bono matter).
No, they more than likely would get paid when they win the case that proved Rovi misrepresented their intentions from being when they purchased TiVo.

Of course, a judge and a good law firm will realize that finding in favor of the plaintiff on this question could affect virtually every single consumer product purchase.
).
Not necessarily, could be a discovery of a pattern of behavior that is unique to Rovi, before and after comparison of TiVo.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Joe, a plaintiff has to have standing to sue, generally meaning, a direct, personal harm from the challenged action; there also needs to be a legal obligation between the parties, that was breached. Thus, I can't sue as a consumer, e.g., TiVo (or Hasbro or AT&T) for the business directions they take, absent my being directly harmed by them and the companies having a legal obligation to me. I just don't see the latter here (and with the former being problematic as well), especially in the face of the user agreements and absent their somehow being held not to be enforceable.

I can guarantee you, a law firm will be concerned about how it is going to be paid. This especially is the case in non-monetary damages cases, where the law firm would have to count on the good graces of the judge in determining the social or other good that the law firm has done, assuming that the law being applied provides for the award of attorneys' fees to begin with.
That would mean in a situation where there is a proven pattern of misrepresentation by a company, the plaintiff would have no standing to sue. Doesn't really seem logically possible. That's why I say no one really knows, until you ask firms that do this legation, and even get more than one opinion.

Maybe you're thinking of Tort Law. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Fight what's wrong or bend over. I rather fight than catch a social transmitted disease of except nothing and get nothing.

On one hand a few say they are tired hearing the solutions, one the other hand they want to talk about the problem only until it is an acceptable problem, but both their hands are flat and firmly planted on the floor.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We have a new Bolt OTA, and as of yet no ads. Maybe if every time there was an ad, we all notify the advertiser, that we will be boycotting the product. They may decide to pull the ad from TIVO. It may not get rid of them all but cut down on the amount. We're still too dependent on TIVO to let this be a deal breaker for us. Plus, when you've already purchased the lifetime, there isn't much leverage to say we're leaving. Sorry if somebody suggested this already, but I didn't want to go through all the posts.
Sounds like a good project for FaceBook. Please feel free to go there and try it.
Sounds like a great idea. Sounds like you know that descent is the essence of democracy. You say right here. This is your home. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
The operative term. Some of us, in analyzing matters, just don't see it here (as a legal/contractual matter).
Fight what's wrong or bend over. I rather fight than catch a social transmitted disease of except nothing and get nothing.

On one hand a few say they are tired hearing the solutions, one the other hand they want to talk about the problem only until it is an acceptable problem, but both their hands are flat and firmly planted on the floor.
Oh, note, the use of the plural, solutions. You got me double checking.

·
Registered
721 Posts
With apologies to others for yet further discussion here (please just skip this over), but:

1. That's an unfair post: it's not a bias to express an impartial judgment based on the evaluation of the facts as they exist (the fact that you may not like that judgment does not establish bias)--it's facing reality. 2. The TiVo user agreements say that TiVo may change its service how it wants and when it wants--that seems to be a barrier to a user lawsuit over not liking how TiVo changes its service how it wants and when it wants.* But if you have a logical position and analysis otherwise, please do tell (in a separate thread).

* I can see how this barrier could be overcome in some more extreme circumstances--such as, if TiVo were to change its service simply to eliminate it, or most of its functionality. But a judge likely would find, in that circumstance, that TiVo was not acting in the spirit and intent of the user agreement, but to defeat it. Adding pre-roll ads simply is nowhere near that, as far as I can see.
Not busting chops.

You know, Mike, you say you are offering impartial judgement, and I believe you believe this. However, you also say, it's facing reality, which has a lot of judging going on in it. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
There are some free cellular data plans that have enough data to download Tivo guide information every month but not enough to stream video as well as paid broadband and cellular plans with data caps. I think Tivo should warm people about the additional data will be consumed by the pre-roll ads.
If Rovi/TiVo gave two hoots about us, Rovi/TiVo wouldn't be using us.

·
Registered
721 Posts
LOL--so that's what was being insinuated? Yes, we're part of a cabal of Alviso TiVo-ists, sitting in a circle on my living room floor with incense burning in the background, chanting the TiVo animation video song. LOL.
Sorry, not insinuating. That's the first thing you think? It's all about you? You guys ever keep those inflated ego in check, much?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I notice this has been discussed but will throw in my two cents. Class action lawsuits a waste, at least for the consumer. The lawyers will make a mint but the consumer gets next to nothing, in most cases. A stock type class action, I know someone who lost about 10K. I think they got $10 or so from the suit (for sure under $100). Plus if you want the company to stay in business (ie you still use their products or own the stock or whatever) all you do is hurt yourself (and again make some lawyers a fortune).
Yet, there are all the reports of awards." One actually that made history recently about billion dollars, I think it was against a pharmaceutical company. Mind you awards get appealed, but not down to spare change. Sorry about you knowing someone who knew someone who had a **** for a lawyer, but your generalizing and painting with a board brush.

61 - 78 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.