TiVo Community Forum banner
961 - 980 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Class action suit over the Ads, yes, it probably won't benefit existing customers. However, there is a repeated pattern of behavior of TiVo ever since it was bought by Rovi that hasn't been typical of a tech company. Rovi/TiVo pattern of behavior has been that of predator company that raided TiVo. We did not knowingly invest in such a company.
I'm sorry Joe, but on what grounds do you think we have standing and what laws/regulations could they possibly be violating? Not trying to pick a fight - I am seriously interested. You've been doing battle for a few pages now and I admit I've lost track of this. My apologies for being lazy. Can you recap please?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,391 Posts
Rovi/TiVo pattern of behavior has been that of predator company that raided TiVo. We did not knowingly invest in such a company.
Unless you bought stock in Rovi/TiVo, you didn't invest at all. Buying a product doesn't make you an investor, unless you want to use a very colloquial version of the word. You are a customer, a client, a patron, whatever word you want. You are not an investor.

I've been reading this thread, mainly to keep up with the logistics of this new feature. How it works, how to stop it, will it come to my Roamio, etc. But the whiners are winning. Your non-stop, incessant griping is sidetracking this thread. There will be no class action suit. TiVo hasn't committed a crime. Ninety percent of us just want to know what's going on, and keep up with news about it. And yes, perhaps voice our unhappiness about it. But there is a small handful of you completely hijacking this thread with non-stop, non-productive carping. Yes, you have that right, but all it does it drive away any of us that might have meaningful observations (or not!), just to get away from the complaining.

I agree with whoever above said lock the thread once the phrase class action suit is uttered. Better yet, ban the poster for 24 hours.

·
Registered
601 Posts
So here is what I found out during a long chat with Tivo.

If you are on TE3 (rep called it classic TE3 software) you will not have ads so no need to call.

If you are on TE3 and go to TE4 do not call until you start seeing ads as they can not put in an opt out request until you are seeing ads.

If you are already on TE4 do not call until you start seeing ads as once again they can do nothing until you are actually seeing the ads.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm sorry Joe, but on what grounds do you think we have standing and what laws/regulations could they possibly be violating? Not trying to pick a fight - I am seriously interested. You've been doing battle for a few pages now and I admit I've lost track of this. My apologies for being lazy. Can you recap please?
Yes, I have been defending the class action suit as a possible solution to corporations that go too far.

Those kind of cases and the way they are put together is beyond my resumes, but not beyond my responsibility where I feel there has been wrong doing.

I think a law firm that practices and has some experience with class action law suits should take a long look at the Rovi/TiVo history. If only to see if there is a pattern of behavior that has misrepresented this new Rovi/TiVo company as being a tech company when they were never more a corporate raider who feeds on the carcasses of smaller companies. Could certain resent behavior show and intent to misrepresented themselves to consumers going back to Rovi's takeover. Is Rovi just a miserable little corporate lech, poaching the TiVo brand?

It's not entirely improbable.

Is there enough questions of behavior to prove intent to misrepresent? Possibly. They don't really act like a tech company. They act like draconian blood suckers with no technology solutions to their problems. They don't solve problems like a tech company if they wind up solving them at all. System Designers, you could have fooled me and maybe they have just fooled us. It's not impossible that a company that takes one of its strongest pillars, no ads, and Chews through it like a bunch of insect termites and acts like it's a great business plan is beyond ever lying or misrepresentation.

What's to lose as the customer here? Why not see if in a class action suit by a good law firm if they can connect some dots that could led to a Courtroom and judge seeing a pattern of misrepresentation, which I believe might lead to fraud.

Who knows, if you don't do something, you'll never really know what would happen if you ever did:)

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Yes, I have been defending the class action suit as a possible solution to corporations that go too far.

Those kind of cases and the way they are put together is beyond my resumes, but not beyond my responsibility where I feel there has been wrong doing.

I think a law firm that practices and has some experience with class action law suits should take a long look at the Rovi/TiVo history. If only to see if there is a pattern of behavior that has misrepresented this new Rovi/TiVo company as being a tech company when they were never more a corporate raider who feeds on the carcasses of smaller companies. Could certain resent behavior show and intent to misrepresented themselves to consumers going back to Rovi's takeover. Is Rovi just a miserable little corporate lech, poaching the TiVo brand?

Is there enough questions of behavior to prove intent to misrepresent? Possibly. They don't really act like a tech company. They act like draconian blood suckers with no technology solutions to their problems. They don't solve problems like a tech company if they wind up solving them at all. System Designers, you could have fooled me and maybe they have just fooled us. It's not impossible that a company that takes one of its strongest pillars, no ads, and Chews through it like a bunch of insect termites and acts like it's a great business plan is beyond ever lying or misrepresentation.

What's to lose as the customer here? Why not see if in a class action suit by a good law firm if they can connect some dots that could led to a Courtroom and judge seeing a pattern of misrepresentation, which I believe might lead to fraud.

Who knows, if you don't do something, you'll never really know what would happen if you ever did:)
A good law firm will ask, as a threshold matter, what legal rights has TiVo breached, including not to put ads in. That, then, will lead to the various TiVo user agreements, in which TiVo asserts the right to make unilateral changes. And then that will lead, assuming that the various agreements are deemed facially applicable between TiVo and the consumer, to (from what you've said earlier) whether those agreements are unenforceable for some reason. Find legal support for that question and you start to convince me of even a chance of a possibility (simply as a legal exercise). Of course, a judge and a good law firm will realize that finding in favor of the plaintiff on this question could affect virtually every single consumer product purchase.

That good law firm also will wonder, before agreeing to take the case to begin with, how it is going to get paid, in the absence of monetary damages harm to the plaintiff or plaintiff class (absent the law firm agreeing to take the case on as a pro bono matter).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Unless you bought stock in Rovi/TiVo, you didn't invest at all. Buying a product doesn't make you an investor, unless you want to use a very colloquial version of the word. You are a customer, a client, a patron, whatever word you want. You are not an investor.

I've been reading this thread, mainly to keep up with the logistics of this new feature. How it works, how to stop it, will it come to my Roamio, etc. But the whiners are winning. Your non-stop, incessant griping is sidetracking this thread. There will be no class action suit. TiVo hasn't committed a crime. Ninety percent of us just want to know what's going on, and keep up with news about it. And yes, perhaps voice our unhappiness about it. But there is a small handful of you completely hijacking this thread with non-stop, non-productive carping. Yes, you have that right, but all it does it drive away any of us that might have meaningful observations (or not!), just to get away from the complaining.

I agree with whoever above said lock the thread once the phrase class action suit is uttered. Better yet, ban the poster for 24 hours.
People also seek solutions here. But it takes a bully to a know and defend a bully and not hear solutions or silence them. To hide behind the tyrannical idea of low expectations and keeping people powerless and happy with just good enough.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Every TiVo post on Facebook this week is filled with comments about preroll ads. If I weren't already a customer it'd definitely give me pause.
I see what you did there..... well played! Oh shoot I just did it too... LOLO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
New Custom Title
83,122 Posts
I rolled back and lasted less than a day. The smaller, less accurate progress bar, the loss of video when watching a recording and going to Tivo Central, and no skip mode were some of the reasons. I honestly enjoy TE4 more.
Me too. I found TE3 so ugly and clunky, and the fact that it still has SDUI elements was kind of pathetic. And TE4 feels more streamlined and elegant. Auto com skip is great but the new feature I really wouldn't be able to give up is CEC remote control. At least with my setup, that made things a lot easier and more straightforward.

When and if I see one of these new pre-roll ads on my lifetime Roamio or my Minis, I will be calling TiVo to have them turn them off. I, too, have had TiVo in my home since their beginning, and we always used to argue about "the slippery slope" of them inserting ads, like on the pause screen. Adding a video commercial to the front of recorded shows strikes me as vastly worse than that, whether we can skip them or not. Because it's only a matter of time then before they insert more of these video ads, or make the unskippable.

It's just a tacky, sleazy move on their part, I'm kind of disgusted by it, even just in principle.

·
Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
I could see TiVo offering the same "feature" to MSO's, though, to allow them to insert their own ads. The ad catalog would be the MSO's, but TiVo would still get their taste.
Or TiVo does the ads and the MSO gets a cut of the action.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just an intellectual exercise on a possible solution to the Rovi/TiVo bull ****.

That good law firm also will wonder, before agreeing to take the case to begin with, how it is going to get paid, in the absence of monetary damages harm to the plaintiff or plaintiff class (absent the law firm agreeing to take the case on as a pro bono matter).
No, they more than likely would get paid when they win the case that proved Rovi misrepresented their intentions from being when they purchased TiVo.

Of course, a judge and a good law firm will realize that finding in favor of the plaintiff on this question could affect virtually every single consumer product purchase.
).
Not necessarily, could be a discovery of a pattern of behavior that is unique to Rovi, before and after comparison of TiVo.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Joe, a plaintiff has to have standing to sue, generally meaning, a direct, personal harm from the challenged action; there also needs to be a legal obligation between the parties, that was breached. Thus, I can't sue as a consumer, e.g., TiVo (or Hasbro or AT&T) for the business directions they take, absent my being directly harmed by them and the companies having a legal obligation to me. I just don't see the latter here (and with the former being problematic as well), especially in the face of the user agreements and absent their somehow being held not to be enforceable.

I can guarantee you, a law firm will be concerned about how it is going to be paid. This especially is the case in non-monetary damages cases, where the law firm would have to count on the good graces of the judge in determining the social or other good that the law firm has done, assuming that the law being applied provides for the award of attorneys' fees to begin with.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Joe, a plaintiff has to have standing to sue, generally meaning, a direct, personal harm from the challenged action; there also needs to be a legal obligation between the parties, that was breached. Thus, I can't sue as a consumer, e.g., TiVo (or Hasbro or AT&T) for the business directions they take, absent my being directly harmed by them and the companies having a legal obligation to me. I just don't see the latter here (and with the former being problematic as well), especially in the face of the user agreements and absent their somehow being held not to be enforceable.

I can guarantee you, a law firm will be concerned about how it is going to be paid. This especially is the case in non-monetary damages cases, where the law firm would have to count on the good graces of the judge in determining the social or other good that the law firm has done, assuming that the law being applied provides for the award of attorneys' fees to begin with.
That would mean in a situation where there is a proven pattern of misrepresentation by a company, the plaintiff would have no standing to sue. Doesn't really seem logically possible. That's why I say no one really knows, until you ask firms that do this legation, and even get more than one opinion.

Maybe you're thinking of Tort Law. :)

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts

Really not sure what kind of company Rovi is matters, they could just be a corporate raider and it wouldn't change anything. Or they could be a massive conglomerate. Moot point. Why don't you call a law firm and see? If your case has merit they'll take it. I'm dead serious.

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
Is there a phone number I can call to have all the lawsuit talk removed from my account because those posts are completely ruining my Tivo Community Experience.

Seriously though, not to be a turd in the punch bowl but could that be split off into another thread and leave this one just for the meltdown/approval of ads?

961 - 980 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.