TiVo Community Forum banner
941 - 960 of 2517 Posts

· Registered
1,969 Posts
I think most people understand that a content creator/provider (Amazon, YouTube) has the right to do what they want. TiVo is simply a transmission medium/recorder, so inserting ads seems offensive to some. If someone takes a picture and shares it, they can watermark it. If Apple started watermarking pictures you take on an iPhone, you would be offended.
Why does a creator/provider get to do what they want with ads, but no one else does? Who invented that rule? No one did. Those ads weren't there before, then they were introduced. People didn't like them at first but they gradually got used to them. Now every Youtube video starts with one or two pre-roll ads and this is acceptable. Youtube is now even interrupting the videos to show ads. Eventually people will get used to that and it will become acceptable.

In reality, technology is the only thing that limits where ads can be placed (with the exception of tobacco). Rovi/Tivo showed ads since day one in 1999, first non-targeted on the home screen because that's all they could do. Then they put them on the pause bar, then in between channels in the guide, etc. Now they have the ability to put them where others have and people act surprised and like it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Finally, my Moto G6 does occasionally show me notifications about other Moto products. Actually that phone is an Amazon phone so they show me ads too. Samsung phones show pop-up ads too. So this imaginary line that products can't insert their own ads has already been crossed by others.

· Registered
391 Posts
Why does a creator/provider get to do what they want with ads, but no one else does? Who invented that rule? No one did. Those ads weren't there before, then they were introduced. People didn't like them at first but they gradually got used to them. Now every Youtube video starts with one or two pre-roll ads and this is acceptable. Youtube is now even interrupting the videos to show ads. Eventually people will get used to that and it will become acceptable.

In reality, technology is the only thing that limits where ads can be placed (with the exception of tobacco). Rovi/Tivo showed ads since day one in 1999, first non-targeted on the home screen because that's all they could do. Then they put them on the pause bar, then in between channels in the guide, etc. Now they have the ability to put them where others have and people act surprised and like it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Finally, my Moto G6 does occasionally show me notifications about other Moto products. Actually that phone is an Amazon phone so they show me ads too. Samsung phones show pop-up ads too. So this imaginary line that products can't insert their own ads has already been crossed by others.
I have never heard of these pop up ads on Samsung phones, but Samsung is notorious for loading up all their devices with bloatware, so this doesn't surprise me, and it's the main reason I don't buy Samsung devices. Regarding Youtube, there are no ads on Youtube if you subscribe to Google Play Music or Youtube Music (which I do), so at least that option is out there for people that don't want to put up with ads.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
For me a Tivo is a DVR. I use it to record and watch TV shows/movies. Anything else, features, apps, streaming is a bonus. I am not getting the ads yet but for me they will most likely be terrible. And I wonder being on very slow DSL how long they will take to load.............

But Tivo is probably in trouble. Thinking of the DVR part of the Tivo (which for me is what a Tivo IS), between the phasing out of cable cards and possible ATSC 3 the DVR part is becoming obsolete. So they are probably trying to figure out how to survive. Corporations are in it for the money, of course. But there is some difference between trying to survive and r*ping customers for every penny like the cable cos and many other companies. IMO at least. So will see what happens here.

Tivo actually has a billion dollar market cap. Though there are a lot of members here at TC I'm guessing the majority of their customers are not TC members. Allowing current customers to stop the ads is good. But going forward new customers will know nothing else, just TE4 and ads. They are probably counting on that. They want to keep TC members happy I think. And other non TC members who start getting ads and either call Tivo or start researching the net. But long run they want to try to stay in business, doing whatever it takes to survive. Will lose some customers, others will put up with it, counting a lot on new customers who will know nothing different. Will see how it develops.......................

· Registered
8,335 Posts
What DirecTV and Verizon do, and for that matter ALL cable companies do is insert ads in spots called local avails. These are spots where a local commercial can be substituted for the national one. Cable has done this forever, the only thing unique is what DirecTV developed to store local spots on the DVR hard drive (in reserved space so it does NOT affect your available space) and play them during that spot. Non DVR customers still see the national commercial
Thanks. I'm aware of local avails but didn't know DTV stored them locally.

· Registered
112 Posts
I have never heard of these pop up ads on Samsung phones, but Samsung is notorious for loading up all their devices with bloatware, so this doesn't surprise me, and it's the main reason I don't buy Samsung devices. Regarding Youtube, there are no ads on Youtube if you subscribe to Google Play Music or Youtube Music (which I do), so at least that option is out there for people that don't want to put up with ads.
I never see ads on Youtube on my PC, probably because I run Linux. I guess the 1-2% of who do are too small of an audience to bother "supporting". I do see them sometimes watching Youtube videos (via Safari) on my iPhone, so I know they exist but I'm blissfully unaware of them on my PC :)

· Registered
721 Posts
:cool:
So what are you going to do with your $7.35?
I swear we need the equivalent to the Godwin rule that closes a thread for stupidity the minute the phrase "Class Action Suit" is uttered as a possible solution.

The one thing that has been very apparent is the behavior of TCF members, there are folks I've always respected as reasonable and level headed, and they're the same in this volatile thread, and the folks that do not have those traits have also behaved exactly as I'd expected.
Very I insulting making the $7.37 crack, so insultingly personal. Suggesting a class action suit would have no merit and would be useless and worthless, perhaps you're some kind of expert on class action law or have a real strong relationship and connection to TiVo. Perhaps you've been sued, I don't know. But expect nothing and get nothing is not how most healthy people live. This is why there are many laws that protect the average citizen, the average buyer. This why when someone asks and a large group feels they've been wronged or mislead asking what can be done, a legal solution is often looked into because it works for many people on principle.

Although, I personally believe that forcing ads down your throats is not illegal. I think a good law firm might warrant a solution if they see something of a pattern. I think for many here who not directly connected to Rovi/Tivo , who feel wronged, this maybe the best solution if they know a good law firm to have them look at it. What could it hurt, really. No need to go nuclear and for some reason :cool: :cool: Hmmm, take it personally :)

· Registered
27,658 Posts
Eventually people will get used to that and it will become acceptable.
For me, I'm not sure it's "acceptable," it's simply the reality and I don't have a choice. Although I guess I may be finding it acceptable, as it's the tradeoff for having free content (e.g. the bonanza of free OTA television--quite amazing, when you think of it). Likewise for TiVo, if it's needed for survival and thriving; but for heaven's sake, get rid of the current kerchung and disfunctional aspects--I don't mean to be flip, but it just interferes with the TiVo Experience.

· Registered
276 Posts
OK So TE3 wont get pre-roll ads and those with TE4 can get rid of em with a phone call. Case closed. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over nothing.
Did anyone get "rid of em" yet by calling? I am curious to know what that means once the opt-out takes affect? Do we still see blue spinning wheels or any delay to start playback? Or do they push a firmware drop to us that has pre-roll gutted from it?

· wait.. I did what?
15,508 Posts
:cool:

Very I insulting making the $7.37 crack, so insultingly personal. Suggesting a class action suit would have no merit and would be useless and worthless, perhaps you're some kind of expert on class action law or have a real strong relationship and connection to TiVo. Perhaps you've been sued, I don't know. But expect nothing and get nothing is not how most healthy people live. This is why there are many laws that protect the average citizen, the average buyer. This why when someone asks and a large group feels they've been wronged or mislead asking what can be done, a legal solution is often looked into because it works for many people on principle.
Do you really think a Class Action Suit benefits anyone other than the lawyers? and ok, maybe I got $13 from the Sony PS3 class action, and think of all the people who amusingly thought they could get money from the Equifax class action only to find out they'll get nothing.

Be as personally insulted as you want, but class action suits in easily 98% of all cases result in mere pennies to those affected and Tivos actions are nowhere near damaging to anyone fiscally, please go on, show me actual damage.

· Registered
123 Posts
Did anyone get "rid of em" yet by calling?
Tivo Ted stated that it depends upon your years of service and payment status.

I've read at least two people here who've been customers since 2002 (explicitly stated) and sometime earlier than 2007 (earliest posting in this forum) who've had the ads removed upon request.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
276 Posts
Tivo Ted stated that it depends upon your years of service and payment status.

I've read at least two people here who've been customers since 2002 (explicitly stated) and sometime earlier than 2007 (earliest posting in this forum) who've had the ads removed upon request.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yup, got that part. I called and they told me they'd remove me (but I already back-rev that unit to TE3). I'm just wondering if anyone has had it successfully removed and if they still see blue spinning wheels, etc.

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Likewise for TiVo, if it's needed for survival and thriving; but for heaven's sake, get rid of the current kerchung and disfunctional aspects--I don't mean to be flip, but it just interferes with the TiVo Experience.
Well, like all new Tivo features, it's initially dysfunctional and very rough around the edges. So that's already consistent with the Tivo experience.

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you really think a Class Action Suit benefits anyone other than the lawyers?
Yes, it benefits future customers by preventing the company (and others like it) from doing that in the future. It might, for example, deter Comcast from adding pre-roll ads to their DVR or Tivo from adding ads in the middle of the recording. But you're right when you say that it won't benefit existing customers.

· Bored
4,333 Posts
Just got an ad for the first time on my OTA Bolt Vox 500GB. I was wondering if they would hit all devices, cable and OTA.
Sent an e-mail to support asking them to remove the ads.
And got a reply back just 2 hours later apologizing, and to give them 72 hours for the removal of the advertisements to take effect.

· Registered
721 Posts
Yes, it benefits future customers by preventing the company (and others like it) from doing that in the future. It might, for example, deter Comcast from adding pre-roll ads to their DVR or Tivo from adding ads in the middle of the recording. But you're right when you say that it won't benefit existing customers.
Class action suit over the Ads, yes, it probably won't benefit existing customers. However, there is a repeated pattern of behavior of TiVo ever since it was bought by Rovi that hasn't been typical of a tech company. Rovi/TiVo pattern of behavior has been that of predator company that raided TiVo. We did not knowingly invest in such a company.

941 - 960 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.