TiVo Community Forum banner
921 - 940 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh stop being so dramatic. I don't like the pre-roll ads anymore than you do, but you're not being forced to watch them. You can skip them with a single button push or you can call TiVo and get them removed.
Huh? You're 100% being forced to see an ad. You might have not have fully watched it, but you did indeed get disrupted with an advertisement to the point of where you had to intervene with a button to no longer keep watching it.

Really they should have an option to disable them in the settings, much like FiOS had on their DVRs. Most "normal" users will never figure it out and they'll profit, but those that are power users will know how to turn them off. No need to involve customer support or any of that jazz. Perhaps they leave them disabled for lifetime customers, etc. There are lots of A/B test permutations they should've run before pushing this into production.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How can we start a campaign against Tivo?

I pay Tivo for service every month.

But now... I am forced to watch a COMMERCIAL before I can watch the RECORDED TV SHOWS that I recorded on my TIVO???

And... I recorded those shows from my CABLE COMPANY... AND MY CABLE COMPANY ***ALSO*** FORCES ME TO WATCH COMMERCIALS EVEN THOUGH I PAY TO RECEIVE THE CABLE CHANNELS???

Jesus! Where does it end?
Well, you can cancel your Tivo and cable service. Because voting with your wallet is the only sure fire way to get their attention.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Well, you can cancel your Tivo and cable service. Because voting with your wallet is the only sure fire way to get their attention.
Bad press seems to get a company's attention as well, at times (although it doesn't guarantee anything, of course), and Twitter (and sometimes Facebook) seem to get responses at times when a personal request hasn't--the PR factor as well?

·
Registered
59 Posts
If this keeps TIVO alive for many more years, ok. It is what it is.

Here's my main problem with all of this. I pay for service which supposedly includes support.
I have 5 TIVO minis, not one of them have EVER worked properly for streaming.

So where is the support / development to fix these issues? What prevents fixing these issues?

And now, more revenue for TIVO. Will any of that be devoted to improved support?

Now, I've moved on and simply purchased other streaming devices, but that shouldn't have been necessary.

So, if TIVO is not going to properly support their streaming services, then shut them down. Take them off the boxes and save some money that way, before sticking on those darn commercials.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There is an irony for advertisers here. TiVo makes it possible for viewers to skip advertisers' regular broadcast commercials, thru ff, 30-second skip, SkipMode, and now AutoSkip. To try to get viewers to watch their commercials, the advertisers then have to pay TiVo separately to run the ads as pre-rolls (which, although they can be ff'ed or skipped thru, can't be AutoSkipped through). Kinda genius.
Just wait until they insert them during the commercial breaks. DirecTV and Verizon already do this. And I'm pretty sure auto-skip won't skip Rovi's ads.

I'm just putting that out there because despite Amazon and Youtube already having pre-roll ads, and the fact that Rovi/Tivo has always managed to squeeze in ads anywhere they can, people are somehow shocked that Rovi would put pre-roll ads into their DVR.

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys heard this, but to my knowledge we have no plans to block downgrades from TE4 to TE3. To be clear, this is only on boxes that are capable of supporting TE3. For instance, the upcoming TiVo EDGE will only support TE4 and beyond. It will never be able to be downgraded to TE3.
Maybe because it would've been the next logical dumb move to force ads? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I'm just putting that out there because despite Amazon and Youtube already having pre-roll ads, and the fact that Rovi/Tivo has always managed to squeeze in ads anywhere they can, people are somehow shocked that Rovi would put pre-roll ads into their DVR.
Personally, I was, because it just seems like such an interruption (even though I never liked the pause ads, at least they were static and did not assault me with audio and moving video). So very un-TiVo Experience-like, especially as currently implemented technologically (with glitches and the like--not smooth).

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Just wait until they insert them during the commercial breaks. DirecTV and Verizon already do this. And I'm pretty sure auto-skip won't skip Rovi's ads.

DirecTV and Verizon do what?

Their DVRs insert commercials on top of broadcast commercials within recordings?

Or they insert their own commercials into broadcasts?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,893 Posts
Just wait until they insert them during the commercial breaks. DirecTV and Verizon already do this.
I am almost certain what DirecTV does is insert their own ads in spots where the local broadcaster gets an ad spot. So where Comcast might insert a local ad during a (for example) USA broadcast, DirecTV does the same thing. They never insert a new ad, or create an ad break, where one didn't already exist.

I think most people understand that a content creator/provider (Amazon, YouTube) has the right to do what they want. TiVo is simply a transmission medium/recorder, so inserting ads seems offensive to some. If someone takes a picture and shares it, they can watermark it. If Apple started watermarking pictures you take on an iPhone, you would be offended.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
DirecTV and Verizon do what?

Their DVRs insert commercials on top of broadcast commercials within recordings?

Or they insert their own commercials into broadcasts?
What DirecTV and Verizon do, and for that matter ALL cable companies do is insert ads in spots called local avails. These are spots where a local commercial can be substituted for the national one. Cable has done this forever, the only thing unique is what DirecTV developed to store local spots on the DVR hard drive (in reserved space so it does NOT affect your available space) and play them during that spot. Non DVR customers still see the national commercial

·
Registered
721 Posts

I pay Tivo for service every month.

But now... I am forced to watch a COMMERCIAL before I can watch the RECORDED TV SHOWS that I recorded on my TIVO???

And... I recorded those shows from my CABLE COMPANY... AND MY CABLE COMPANY ***ALSO*** FORCES ME TO WATCH COMMERCIALS EVEN THOUGH I PAY TO RECEIVE THE CABLE CHANNELS???

Know a good law firm, class action suit.
If this generates some revenue and helps to keep TiVo alive, I can deal with having to skip pre-roll ads. It's only TV, after all.
:) Let's all expect nothing better and get nothing better for our money. We all can be dragged into the Rovi loser philosophy together. :)

·
wait.. I did what?
15,133 Posts
Know a good law firm, class action suit.
So what are you going to do with your $7.35?
I swear we need the equivalent to the Godwin rule that closes a thread for stupidity the minute the phrase "Class Action Suit" is uttered as a possible solution.

The one thing that has been very apparent is the behavior of TCF members, there are folks I've always respected as reasonable and level headed, and they're the same in this volatile thread, and the folks that do not have those traits have also behaved exactly as I'd expected.

921 - 940 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.