TiVo Community Forum banner
821 - 840 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.
I get tired of hearing how retail is worthless to Tivo and their bread and butter is MSO's. Show some facts to support this because if it was true why not just kill off retail Tivo if it's such a burden.

Also Tivo should have waited and put the pre-roll ads in their new content. That would be fair.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys heard this, but to my knowledge we have no plans to block downgrades from TE4 to TE3. To be clear, this is only on boxes that are capable of supporting TE3. For instance, the upcoming TiVo EDGE will only support TE4 and beyond. It will never be able to be downgraded to TE3.
When can we expect to get our hands on the Tivo Edge? 4-Tuner OTA and 6-Tuner Cable, please.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys heard this, but to my knowledge we have no plans to block downgrades from TE4 to TE3. To be clear, this is only on boxes that are capable of supporting TE3. For instance, the upcoming TiVo EDGE will only support TE4 and beyond. It will never be able to be downgraded to TE3.
Thanks, Ted--the danger of fractured information coming to people, from multiple sources, as well as the absence of other information. My personal consternation is with what seems to have been the original news source (apart from here ;) ) on the pre-roll rollout, routinely citing an unidentified "TiVo spokesperson." TiVo Rolling Out Skippable Pre-Roll Ads for Retail DVRs | Light Reading

Having you here is a good thing.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
I wonder if the people who get the ads turned off and have the special version update will not get other new features later on though. Essentially being in "maintenance mode" again but on TE4. Like if some new great feature is introduced you have to upgrade to get it and then the ads return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no "special version update". They just flip a switch on your account in the back end.

·
Registered
721 Posts
As many an issue that I have with the on-call ads, I do think that TiVo values the customer experience. But it also values its stock price, being able to sell its constituent parts, its on-going existence, etc. It's the balance there and how best to reach it that seems in question.
Can't serve two masters. Can't burn a candle at both ends and not get burned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.
First, you are overestimating how much money TiVo makes from cable companies. The most recent number, which is probably a bit low, was around $2 per box to MSO's. IF TiVo rolls out ads to MSO's, they would easily get80% or more of that revenue, as they would owe some of it back to the programmers. Assuming per-box revenue for MSO has increased to $5, they would still make more on retail, if the volume was the same.

Now, ads go for an average of $3 per 1000 impressions. Average sub would likely see about 2500 in a year, so $7.50 a year per box. Let's assume, again very low numbers, that the average TiVo consumer spends $750 on their TiVo over 6 years (this assumes half of the customers don't get new boxes, assumes at least some pay monthly, and some have minis or multiple boxes). Simple math says that for each lost sub it would take 100 years to make up the ad revenue. Even if you think my estimations suck and you half that, it's 50 years. Think I'm WAAAY off? 1/4 would still be 25 years.

Some will leave, some will forgo planned purchases. It's hard to come up with any number that doesn't lose them money over no ads, which is why they'll turn them off if you complain.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Really, there can't be a happy compromise for a company?
No, not a Rovi/TiVo company. Unless the Edge can produce something more than an embarrassing giggle from the tech world and prove itself as a tech company. But they have had more years to prove they are still in the technology business, more years than any other tech company and so far has failed dissapontingly to show any progress other than a willingness to pick at our bones with ads. Rather, than giving us the technology that meets the needs of their customers, instead they chose to bite the hand that feeds them. The Rovi business plan.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
That is good news, I guess it was just a rumor. Since I can roll back to TE3 anytime I will continue my "test" of TE4 on my Bolt, thanks :) Oh, you do say "to your knowledge", if that changes please post BEFORE they would do it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is good news, I guess it was just a rumor. Since I can roll back to TE3 anytime I will continue my "test" of TE4 on my Bolt, thanks :) Oh, you do say "to your knowledge", if that changes please post BEFORE they would do it.
Not saying TiVo would ever do this, but they COULD force TE 4 on you, even if you roll back (per the terms and conditions). They could also choose to outright discontinue the S3 and S4 regardless of lifetime status.

Again, not saying they would, but I also never thought they would do this, so.....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It's not lifetime, it's all-in. As in, "Tivo is awesome and can do no wrong." As per the agreement. It's perfectly fair to subject all-in customers to it, since they paid to get all of the "experience." Also, you bought all-in service because it was the cheapest plan. So technically you're already on the cheapest plan, and those plans are the ones most subject to ads.

And if you thought, "Tivo would never do something like insert pre-roll video ads," even though they have inserted ads on the home screen since day one and figured out how to put ads on the pause bar of all places, then that also should influence your next purchase and whether you should pay for all-in service or not.

Besides, we've known for a while that the retail customers are pretty much beta testers for their more prized MSO customers. So if you're all-in in being a guinea pig, that's great. If not, that should influence your next decision about all-in service.

Finally, almost everybody in this forum has been a customer long enough and is eligible to opt out. So quit whining about it and do it already! Your empty threats of leaving Tivo for good ("and this time I mean it") and class-action lawsuits are falling on deaf ears because it's not going to happen. Downgrading to TE3 will happen because some people are paranoid. But maybe you can try opting out before the ads come to your Tivos; like a horrible virus infecting your DVR that posts your playlist on the Internet for everyone to see, sends an electrical surge frying all the components in your entertainment center, then finally bursts into flames.

Tell Tivo you've changed your mind and you now want out of the all-in experience. Even though you gave up all your leverage by going all-in in the first place. But please remember this the next time you buy your next Tivo's service plan.
Huh?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm not sure if I've been a customer long enough, and I'm not interested in calling Tivo to find out. This decision by Tivo makes it clear to me that they don't value the customer experience, and that's a signal for me that I should get out while the getting is good. I ordered a Tablo yesterday, and my Tivo will be on ebay next week. So yeah, my threats weren't actually empty. Tivo has lost me as a customer.
Congratulations! I'm serious, BTW. Good luck with the Tablo -- it's not a bad DVR.

I'd also refer you to the Amazon Recast, but Amazon Prime puts NON-SKIPPABLE pre-roll ads in their streaming videos, so it's only a matter of time before they put that in the Recast. Somehow I don't think it's the right DVR for you. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The day there is a TE5, I can see it now.. I can't roll back to TE3 :eek: I can't roll back to TE4 :eek: I can't stream 8K :mad::eek::eek:. Google bought Tivo(Rovi) :eek::eek::eek: Wait wipe that last one from you mind, you did not read that..:D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Should have just made a TE5 for edge and the pre roll ads are only on that plus any other units moving forward.
Yes!!!

Putting this 'FEATURE' out there unbeknownst to users answered all of their questions. What hardware handled it seemingly well, what hardware didn't/doesn't and generated opinions . The 72 hour delay in 'removing' allowed them also addition time to analyze the same as well as the likely revolt of the current users. They had CEDIA so they needed to implement it for marketing and it's very likely that the 'EDGE' hardware handles it well. With proper hardware it's maybe NOT to be considered a feature but likely less of a nuisance - there's no public release of the EDGE yet and I've seen no pricing links so who knows?

The S'ware package on the EDGE that was put into a users hands to rectify a sales issue certainly hinted a 'Beta' build!

821 - 840 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.