TiVo Community Forum banner
801 - 820 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
That's what I would have thought. Just seemed odd that the guy said it was a 10-15 minute download...
Download is just a convenient term. I'm sure it takes some time to propagate where've lists through their servers. Probably much less than 15 minutes but they like to play it safe. Then when you communicate with the mothership, it gets its status.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
You know I still have one question about what's going on. And that is, is it ACTUALLY CONFIRMED that Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? Is that in the news somewhere, or been confirmed by Tivo Ted? Even with the ads I'd keep TE4 on the Bolt since I am using it to test external 3.5 PMR drives. Plus I like monitoring how it evolves (or devolves). And I would not mind seeing how the ads would affect me, I could always opt out. But I DON'T want to get stuck with TE4 forever, I still prefer TE3, at least for now. So is it FOR SURE confirmed Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? If so where is it confirmed and is there any possible time frame given?
Some perhaps informative dialog from here:
TiVo wasn't on the [Sept. 2019 CEDIA trade] show floor, but rather, they were tucked away in a room on the 1st floor of the Convention Center.

I met with most of those guys yesterday -- even briefly met TiVo Ted. Still not a whole bunch of news.

The Edge has a faster processor than the bolt and much better better thermal management. They were even more sketchy about the TiVo+ Service. I got the feeling that the channels they would be adding are not the normal Cable TV channels, but rather some other obscure stuff.

Perhaps I can get some more info today.
They did say that a new update is coming when I asked about the Mini and issues with Amazon Prime and the A92/A93's. They would not confirm if TE3 users would get the update. I have a feeling those days might be over.
I wonder if the Edge will be able to be rolled back to TE3?
I asked that and they said no. As a matter of fact, they said that an upcoming build (don't know when) would stop Bolts from downgrading to TE3.
Was it your impression that this was limited to the Bolt boxes, or would this change also apply to the Roamio boxes as well?
Good question. However, I don't know.
I thought that I also read something else stating that rollbacks to TE3 would be eliminated in the future, but I can't find it, now.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Please, look on bright side, Rovi/TiVo hasn't had an original great feature to introduced for anyone's must have to upgrade to get it since Rovi bought TiVo and wouldn't know an original great feature if it bit them.
TiVo AutoSkip?*

* Of course, I'm having a time in thinking of something else. ;) Although, to be fair, tech. supposedly in the pipeline: the Mini Wireless Adapter; the Roku, Apple TV, and Fire TiVo apps; and even TiVo Plus. And who woulda thunk that TiVo would be coming out with the Edge box, which seems pretty sweet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finally, almost everybody in this forum has been a customer long enough and is eligible to opt out. So quit whining about it and do it already! Your empty threats of leaving Tivo for good ("and this time I mean it") and class-action lawsuits are falling on deaf ears because it's not going to happen.
I'm not sure if I've been a customer long enough, and I'm not interested in calling Tivo to find out. This decision by Tivo makes it clear to me that they don't value the customer experience, and that's a signal for me that I should get out while the getting is good. I ordered a Tablo yesterday, and my Tivo will be on ebay next week. So yeah, my threats weren't actually empty. Tivo has lost me as a customer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In addition to the several seconds of latency from when you play a recording to when the pre-roll ad begins, if I press any of those buttons it just goes to black screen for 20-30 seconds and the Tivo is totally unresponsive until I eventually get a "recording can't be played" error message and it goes back to live TV.
That is, from a certain point of view, a feature, not a bug. If skipping the ad takes just as long as watching it, you'll watch the ad. Win-Win for TiVo.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I'm not sure if I've been a customer long enough, and I'm not interested in calling Tivo to find out. This decision by Tivo makes it clear to me that they don't value the customer experience, and that's a signal for me that I should get out while the getting is good. I ordered a Tablo yesterday, and my Tivo will be on ebay next week. So yeah, my threats weren't actually empty. Tivo has lost me as a customer.
As many an issue that I have with the on-call ads, I do think that TiVo values the customer experience. But it also values its stock price, being able to sell its constituent parts, its on-going existence, etc. It's the balance there and how best to reach it that seems in question.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As many an issue that I have with the on-call ads, I do think that TiVo values the customer experience. But it also values its stock price, being able to sell its constituent parts, its on-going existence, etc. It's the balance there and how best to reach it that seems in question.
Perhaps, but this seems like a pretty hostile way to do it. They could innovate a new feature people want, and charge a monthly fee to use it. Instead they took the lazy way out. That doesn't give me hope for the future, which is why I'm bailing now while my lifetime Bolt is still valuable.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Perhaps, but this seems like a pretty hostile way to do it. They could innovate a new feature people want, and charge a monthly fee to use it. Instead they took the lazy way out. That doesn't give me hope for the future, which is why I'm bailing now while my lifetime Bolt is still valuable.
I agree, although I would put it as, perhaps, they took the easy way out. They have the ability to inject ads easily enough (relatively speaking), including having done it before--perhaps as distinct from developing value from the consumers' perspective. Perhaps a faster and easier way for a new CEO (one of many) to try to make his mark, shore the company up, and try to position it for sale.

·
Bryan
423 Posts
Flawed logic. Roku charges less than $100 for the hardware and zero subscription fees. And Roku doesn't insert ads before every Netflix stream, only on the content they give you FOR FREE.
If even 10% of the customer base leaves, this concept will lose TiVo money in the long term. I bet at least 10% leave or forgo new purchases over this move.
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.
I haven't seen any indication from TiVo these pre-roll ads will go to MSO units. In fact I'd be very surprised if that is the plan, and obviously they would need MSO permission for that as it is disruptive to MSO customers. My impression from Ted's posts is that this is to help subsidize retail units only.

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
You know I still have one question about what's going on. And that is, is it ACTUALLY CONFIRMED that Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3?
No, I don't recall seeing TiVo officially confirming @DigitalDawn's breaking news, reposted last night ...
I wonder if the Edge will be able to be rolled back to TE3?
I asked that and they said no. As a matter of fact, they said that an upcoming build (don't know when) would stop Bolts from downgrading to TE3.
... but reviewing @TiVo_Ted's post-CEDIA/-food poisoning posts would be the first place to look.*

edit: * Update: Nope, best place to look is @TiVo_Ted's comment posted just 3 minutes later, 2 posts below, >here<.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

The MSO boxes don't have skip mode as it will violate the retransmission agreements they have with the content owners. The MSO remotes have their Ondemand button where the skip button is.
https://www.secv.com/cdocs/TiVo_Leave_Behind_4.6_DVR-Mini.pdf

·
Registered
484 Posts
You know I still have one question about what's going on. And that is, is it ACTUALLY CONFIRMED that Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? Is that in the news somewhere, or been confirmed by Tivo Ted? Even with the ads I'd keep TE4 on the Bolt since I am using it to test external 3.5 PMR drives. Plus I like monitoring how it evolves (or devolves). And I would not mind seeing how the ads would affect me, I could always opt out. But I DON'T want to get stuck with TE4 forever, I still prefer TE3, at least for now. So is it FOR SURE confirmed Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? If so where is it confirmed and is there any possible time frame given?
I'm not sure where you guys heard this, but to my knowledge we have no plans to block downgrades from TE4 to TE3. To be clear, this is only on boxes that are capable of supporting TE3. For instance, the upcoming TiVo EDGE will only support TE4 and beyond. It will never be able to be downgraded to TE3.

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
Or they simply could have been more transparent/open about their plans, rather than just turning it on. It's hard to imagine that user angst would have been greater if they'd been up-front about the coming change.

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
I haven't seen any indication from TiVo these pre-roll ads will go to MSO units. In fact I'd be very surprised if that is the plan, and obviously they would need MSO permission for that as it is disruptive to MSO customers. My impression from Ted's posts is that this is to help subsidize retail units only.
I could see TiVo offering the same "feature" to MSO's, though, to allow them to insert their own ads. The ad catalog would be the MSO's, but TiVo would still get their taste.

·
TDL shepherd
17,854 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys heard this, but to my knowledge we have no plans to block downgrades from TE4 to TE3. To be clear, this is only on boxes that are capable of supporting TE3. For instance, the upcoming TiVo EDGE will only support TE4 and beyond. It will never be able to be downgraded to TE3.
Chuckle. We heard it via a CEDIA-sourced post re-quoted 3 minutes prior to your reply, >here<.

THANK YOU for the un-confirmation.

801 - 820 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.