TiVo Community Forum banner
781 - 800 of 2517 Posts

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Maybe. I'm not using max power saving, I just manually put the boxes into standby. Maybe worth an experiment?
Edit: have you tried it recently? Maybe they've fixed it...
If they think its fixed it was done without a software change. That said. I powered up a TE3 Roamio and placed it into Standby. After an hour I could access My Shows on my TE4 Roamio (it is in Standby) but received the BSC and NPL when trying to access the TE3 Roamio. I also tested my 500GB Premiere and did not have a problem.

One reason I have a TE4 Roamio is that its 3TB drive is used for storage, mostly movies. I have run into the bug of playing for 10 minutes then locking, but that seems to only happen when SM is applied to a program. Luckily that's a small percentage. Now I only move non-SM movies or programs to that drive.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No, it's a server side setting associated with each TiVo in your account, not tied to specific software version. TiVo has a bunch of such settings completely under their control now, including for example ability to toggle on/off commercial skip capability. That's why it requires you to call in and provide your TiVo TSN # to get it changed. If they really wanted to they could add a toggle once you login to their web page, but obviously for this particular setting they don't want to make it that easy to disable.
That's what I would have thought. Just seemed odd that the guy said it was a 10-15 minute download...

·
Registered
141 Posts
When TiVO splits into two companies in 2020 the Patents Inc side will no longer contribute to TiVO Inc. bottom line. Something has to replace this revenue stream! TiVO is adding a profitable recurring revenue stream so lowering prices would just offset this. That obviously makes zero business sense.

TiVO is just copying the current business model of Roku a company that was written off only a few years ago. Roku when faced with competition from Amazon, Apple, and Google changed its business model from hardware sales to ads+Video rental platform. TiVo's competition is just as daunting in Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon.

You don't have to like it but at least understand the reasoning.
Flawed logic. Roku charges less than $100 for the hardware and zero subscription fees. And Roku doesn't insert ads before every Netflix stream, only on the content they give you FOR FREE.

If even 10% of the customer base leaves, this concept will lose TiVo money in the long term. I bet at least 10% leave or forgo new purchases over this move.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Well, luckily you can now get Unlimited Data for $25 a month (xFi Gateway + Unlimited data) if you have a Blast Pro speed tier or higher.
They started advertising that add on package but you have to break existing contracts to get it. IE its more expensive than the $50 a month unlimited data rate it replaces. Comcast will not let you add the package to an existing 'discounted' rate plan. IE I currently pay 99 a month for Gigabit plus 13 for the modem on a 2 yr contract. Unl data is an additional 50 for a total of 162. The new add on requires taking gigabit and the current full tilt rate of 160 and add the $25 package for 185 a month....not such a great deal. Comcast seldom does anything for less money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
And via their UI.
Right, something TiVo has actually done since day 1 to varying degrees (and it will come back, they have already stated as such). Pre-roll ads are another thing entirely.

One is looking at a billboard at a stop light, the other is being forced to watch an ad to get the light to turn green.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Get off of it, the guy is implying that there will be consequences for standing up to this BS ad money grab. Also, implying, we better watch out.
I don't know: after posting in this thread the past few days, my Bolt box went totally black screen on me yesterday during the evening news and would not respond--I had to watch on the television's tuner. (The TiVo came back 5+ minutes later.) It's never done that before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They started advertising that add on package but you have to break existing contracts to get it. IE its more expensive than the $50 a month unlimited data rate it replaces. Comcast will not let you add the package to an existing 'discounted' rate plan. IE I currently pay 99 a month for Gigabit plus 13 for the modem on a 2 yr contract. Unl data is an additional 50 for a total of 162. The new add on requires taking gigabit and the current full tilt rate of 160 and add the $25 package for 185 a month....not such a great deal. Comcast seldom does anything for less money.
This is not entirely true. I just added xFi advantage and while it did require me to upgrade to a 250 MB internet plan, and change my TV package, it was significantly cheaper than adding unlimited data. My bill went from $106 after taxes and fees to $136 after taxes and fees vs $156 for what it would have been just adding unlimited data. If you are interested, I would suggest going into a local xfinity store and have someone work with you. It was a surprisingly good customer service experience.

·
Tivo Junkie
637 Posts
I may be an exception here but I just did this a few months back while still in a current discounted contract. I was paying $25.00/month for unlimited data under a promotion which was about to jump to $50.00/month because that part of my contract in the larger bundled deal was about to expire. I added/switched over to the xFi Advantage which ended up dropping off the $25.00/50.00 a month unlimited along with the original $13.00 gateway fee. Instead it changed to a total of $15.00 for the gateway and unlimited data saving me over $35.00/month in the end. Nothing about my current plan/promotion was adjusted other than that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I wonder if the people who get the ads turned off and have the special version update will not get other new features later on though. Essentially being in “maintenance mode” again but on TE4. Like if some new great feature is introduced you have to upgrade to get it and then the ads return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You know I still have one question about what's going on. And that is, is it ACTUALLY CONFIRMED that Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? Is that in the news somewhere, or been confirmed by Tivo Ted? Even with the ads I'd keep TE4 on the Bolt since I am using it to test external 3.5 PMR drives. Plus I like monitoring how it evolves (or devolves). And I would not mind seeing how the ads would affect me, I could always opt out. But I DON'T want to get stuck with TE4 forever, I still prefer TE3, at least for now. So is it FOR SURE confirmed Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? If so where is it confirmed and is there any possible time frame given?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wonder if the people who get the ads turned off and have the special version update will not get other new features later on though. Essentially being in "maintenance mode" again but on TE4. Like if some new great feature is introduced you have to upgrade to get it and then the ads return?

Please, look on bright side, Rovi/TiVo hasn't had an original great feature to introduced for anyone's must have to upgrade to get it since Rovi bought TiVo and wouldn't know an original great feature if it bit them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Success! 72 hours later I tried and was still getting pre-roll ads on my Bolt (but not on the mini). Called support with my existing case number. They had me unplug and replug and then force an update. The update took a long time to load (probably 10-15 minutes), but once done, I am no longer seeing ads (or blue ring). Program loads immediately without delay. Running 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.
Congrats! As you are the first person I've seen confirmed to get the ads removed. Are you on lifetime or month to month and how long have you been a customer. Trying to figure out their criteria for allowing to have them removed. Thanks

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I still submit suggestions for TE3 through the site on how to improve. Are these ignored, or will they possibly add features in the future?

Some things I'd like to see, to name just a few...
1. An automated way to mark which channels I receive. Starting from channel 1, going up to a user-defined limit, would mark which ones are received and which ones aren't along with HD status. Three to five second delay between channeling up.
Then the user would have five choices in which channels are checked in the Channel List: HD only, SD only, HD Preferred, SD Preferred, and All.
SD Preferred: If there is an HD and SD channel, same timezone, then it would remove the HD channel and list SD. SD takes up less space, and space may matter to some. Or they have it hooked up to an old TV.
2. A way to mark favorite shows or PIN them to the top.
3. A mono setting for audio. Oh how I miss this. My legacy DVR from Comcast had so many audio options.
Anyone here watch South Park with headphones? The music is heavy on the right audio channel and it's immensely annoying.

Anyone, good luck. I imagine customer service is going to have an awful time regarding this pre-roll ad issue.
Ooh!! Standard definition mono!! Why spend big money on "the Cadillac of DVRs" if you're gonna use it like a 1979 cable box.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You know I still have one question about what's going on. And that is, is it ACTUALLY CONFIRMED that Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? Is that in the news somewhere, or been confirmed by Tivo Ted? Even with the ads I'd keep TE4 on the Bolt since I am using it to test external 3.5 PMR drives. Plus I like monitoring how it evolves (or devolves). And I would not mind seeing how the ads would affect me, I could always opt out. But I DON'T want to get stuck with TE4 forever, I still prefer TE3, at least for now. So is it FOR SURE confirmed Tivo will be eliminating roll backs to TE3? If so where is it confirmed and is there any possible time frame given?
Perhaps, the question you should ask yourself is why would Rovi/TiVo let me roll back if they can make more money off me?

781 - 800 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.