TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 2517 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,537 Posts
Nice discovery! But unfortunate!

I did mention the other day pre-rolls have been tested but not clear how and when they'd be utilized. I imagine this would be more a MSO solution or a subsidized retail offering, rather than something we'll see on existing hardware/service.

May I publish the video? Any pics of ads in guide? Thanks!
I just tweeted Zatz's article to TiVo support on Twitter. Will see if they respond.
Zatz article...

TiVo Sullies DVR Recordings with Video Ads

·
Registered
8 Posts
I knew that auto skip was too good to be true and that there would be a catch.

This is so wrong Tivo! Like others have said, I don't mind if you offer it in a new cheaper plan but those of us already paying 14.99 a month shouldn't have to deal with this.

Please make the right choice here, we love our Tivos but if push comes to shove, there are MANY options out there.

EDIT - wow ok so i saw the post above mine, guess this is here to stay

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just got a new Bolt and I thought I was going crazy. When I play a recording the screen goes black with the spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds, then an advertisement plays for about 15 secs, then the recording starts. If you go back and play from the beginning you'll see a different ad. The ones I remember seeing are for Toyota, Keurig and Amazon.

It seems you can skip the ad by pressing fast forward but it's not that seamless.

Anyone else?
Are you a beta tester by agreement?

Never mind, asked already.

·
imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox
4,570 Posts
the irony in the same company delivering auto commercial skip while also getting into the ad business by introducing it's own 15 second pre-roll ads.

You could see this coming. They said they were going to monetize their UI.

Funny thing for me is I read this thread yesterday and sign up for a (2nd) free trial of YTTV and what do I see there? 15 second even 30 second (and unskippable) pre-roll ads from Google. (at least on some content.)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
the irony in the same company giving the customer both auto commercial skip and new 15 second streaming ads.
Yeah. The difference is that TiVo isn't getting paid a dime for those ads they're helping you to skip over in the actual broadcast. But they're getting all the ad revenue for those pre-roll ads that customers view.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I'm wondering if the next step is to roll out a product with free OTA DVR service (perhaps their upcoming $50 TiVo Android TV Stick in conjunction with a Tablo-style network tuner+hard drive). They'll use their existing AutoSkip technology (supplemented by AI-based ad marking for non-primetime shows) in order to automatically skip over all the original ads embedded in the broadcast recording. But instead, they'll force you to watch, let's say, one or two 30-second targeted streaming ads during each ad break.

Lots of cord-cutters would accept that kind of trade-off for free DVR service. Not sure if such a scheme might violate copyright, fair-use, etc. though. Broadcasters would, of course, be up in arms.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Perhaps this was an 'intended beta' for their Edge plans - now that it's leaked and further leaked that even TE3 users have been asked to do testing maybe there actually is reason for concern. Maybe an 'opt-out' w/fee or no commercial skip until you agree! I've a new Bolt that's not even out of the wrap so I may look into a return. These leaks could be enough of an argument I'd think to justify!

·
TDL shepherd
17,537 Posts
Does anyone else make a CableCARD DVR? Does Silicone Dust still make one?
Windows Media Center still hobbles along for some; otherwise, I believe that SD's DVR software does support their CableCARD network tuner *aside* from protected content.* (No clue if it supports SDV and the associated Tuning Adapter technology, though I'd think they would need to.)

* DRM protected Cable TV channels in the USA are available to be viewed Live via Windows 10, Android and Apple iOS devices. Record, playback and other platforms coming soon. (link)​

edit: Quick check of SD's website highlights a new(?) product of which I was unaware... the SERVIO, their physical DVR offering. Zats review article here.

61 - 80 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.