TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Looking at my TiVo account online, there's an option to 'Change Privacy Status'.
You can "Opt Out" to turn off 'Advertising in the TiVo experience'.
If you use that option, please post if it takes effect. It used to indicate a desire to stop collecting use data. My status is still "Beta".

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
It just brings in consistent subscription fees month after month and year after year. ;)
Are you stating that the advertisers pay fees? I ask because I had TVGOS and never paid anything, nor did my hardware manufacturer (Sony). But with TiVo, we can mostly skip the network ads and the TiVo ads. This is confusing.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I'm glad I don't have a Bolt.
If you downgrade one of the Roamios to TE3 wouldn't that mean it could no longer share shows with the other Roamios that are on TE4? Or does that just apply to Minis?
A TE3 box can access and transfer from TE4 TiVo boxes. No Online needed. You lose auto-skip but gain a font that can be seen from a longer distance. A Mini must match its host and but can access programs on either experience.

I don't have a Bolt either.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
The Roamio Basic has lesser hardware specs than the Plus or Pro. Over the years I have read many complaints that say the cheapie Basic model doesn't run TE4 as well as the more expensive models.
Yes but it can't stream natively and everyone says it sucks on TE4.
My Roamio Plus runs fine on TE4, and has streaming built into it.
My basic Roamio on TE4 doesn't suck, but it's not as quick as the Mini VOX slave using it. When problems are posted about a Roamio, seldom is it a Roamio basic. That could be because most members don't add three or four Mini slaves to it. I just read a post asking if it was worth upgrading, due to the sale, a 6-year old basic Roamio to a Bolt. Too many Bolts appear to have an 18 month lifespan. TiVo isn't offering free replacement Roamio hard drives. I don't own a Bolt. I make do with four basic Roamio units, a Premiere and three Mini. The TE4 Roamio is slower that the TE3 Roamio but not as slow as a TE3 Premiere. My cable company rents the Arris/TiVo box. I don't think they are flying off the shelf. I'm just glad to not have a guide with ads and pre-roll ads. I have a Roku, so that's one more thing I can't complain about.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Have they really tried to compete? When's the last time you saw any sort of commercial campaign for tivo? When has there been any push? I imagine many don't even know they still exist. Post a deal on SD and half the posts are people not knowing tivo is still a thing.
Today on two different billboards. Incessant commercials on my cable. I'd estimate there are a dozen different commercials.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I have to agree consumer TiVos are approaching the end so enjoy it while is lasts. I have been contemplating not watching live or recorded TV anymore and just have internet and phone and then watch movies on BD and use some streaming services like Vudu and Amazon Prime which I already have. Although I may mess around with and antenna since I have some time on my hands right now.
If you get it working, can you run a cable down the hill? :) But seriously, I'm testing all my "Favorites" for streaming ability. So far, MSNBC looks the best for real time viewing.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
That is how Service Electric got its start.:)
To go into details, it would be OT. But I remember my first experience with SE was in 1957 when I visited my grandparents in Girardville. Every time a car drove by the distribution box you could see the noise caused by the spark plugs. This was before resistor plugs. I'm old. :(

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I asked just because I was curious. If I quit using a given product I generally don't spend times in their forums discussing it. So, I was wondering why others did.
Here's a tip. Click on the post count under a person's name. It displays the forums they visit. There's a lot more to TCF than just TiVo users.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I updated to TE4 a couple of weeks ago and no ads before shows or TiVo Plus in the guide-does it take a while before this happens?
No, but they come and go. Recently there have been non-TiVo+ ads being place both in the guide and on the suggestion bar. I noticed that the gold star ads that at the bottom of TiVo Central with TE3 are the same as the ads on TE4. Both are missing at times. At least their marketing people keep busy.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.