TiVo Community Forum banner
761 - 780 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding TiVo being a publicly-traded company, yes, constant quarterly pressure by shareholders to increase the profits each quarter.
1) A publicly-traded company, can either sell more hardware and grow TiVo the subscribers base. Which has NOT been happening for many years.
2) Raise the monthly subscriber fees, to $20 a month this year, then $25 a month next year.
3) Introduce these TiVo advertisements, before our recorded TV programs. Which is so backwards and defeats the whole reason to purchase the TiVo solutions.

The other fourth option, 4) take TiVo private. With the TiVo with lifetime subscription not providing enough margin. Just as Dell Computer did back in Oct. 29, 2013 because of razor thin PC margins.
Can a hedge fund or group of TiVo founders raise the cash and take the company private? Otherwise, it is going to be livid customers, viewing ads. While TiVo declines rapidly becoming a worthless penny stock, publicly traded company.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Success! 72 hours later I tried and was still getting pre-roll ads on my Bolt (but not on the mini). Called support with my existing case number. They had me unplug and replug and then force an update. The update took a long time to load (probably 10-15 minutes), but once done, I am no longer seeing ads (or blue ring). Program loads immediately without delay. Running 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.
:clapping::clapping::clapping: And thanks for the optimistic update. :)

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Regarding TiVo being a publicly-traded company, yes, constant quarterly pressure by shareholders to increase the profits each quarter.
1) A publicly-traded company, can either sell more hardware and grow TiVo the subscribers base. Which has NOT been happening for many years.
2) Raise the monthly subscriber fees, to $20 a month this year, then $25 a month next year.
3) Introduce these TiVo advertisements, before our recorded TV programs. Which is so backwards and defeats the whole reason to purchase the TiVo solutions.

The other fourth option, 4) take TiVo private. With the TiVo with lifetime subscription not providing enough margin. Just as Dell Computer did back in Oct. 29, 2013 because of razor thin PC margins.
Can a hedge fund or group of TiVo founders raise the cash and take the company private? Otherwise, it is going to be livid customers, viewing ads. While TiVo declines rapidly becoming a worthless penny stock, publicly traded company.
TiVo does that, and people leave. $240-$300 per year, where Netfix is half that and provides actual content?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
According to TiVoTed these are things needed to keep out of pocket cost down going forward as the consumer side has not changed much in the past 20 years:
TiVo inserting short advert before playing a recording
If to many of us retail owners either opt out of these ads or roll back to TE3 then there will be consequences for all retail owners going forward.

·
TDL shepherd
17,857 Posts
I don't have the pre-roll ads, so I can't test it, nor has anyone explicitly reported the behavior, but my inference was that a single press of any of the listed buttons would have the same effect on the pre-roll ad.
This isn't quite correct. In addition to the several seconds of latency from when you play a recording to when the pre-roll ad begins, if I press any of those buttons it just goes to black screen for 20-30 seconds and ...
Then it was entirely correct for the context; that is, all the buttons produce the same behavior, so the SKIP button isn't required on the TiVo remote.

That the ads are a user experience fustercluck is another matter.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Additional ad revenue is not going to reduce prices. This is not a zero sum game we're playing. When you're a publicly traded company there is constant pressure by shareholders to increase profits each year. So you can either raise monthly subscriber fees each year or you can introduce things like advertisements.
Or you could make a product people will want to buy, like any other tech company.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Success! 72 hours later I tried and was still getting pre-roll ads on my Bolt (but not on the mini). Called support with my existing case number. They had me unplug and replug and then force an update. The update took a long time to load (probably 10-15 minutes), but once done, I am no longer seeing ads (or blue ring). Program loads immediately without delay. Running 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.
So it sounds like they may have downgraded you to a prior version of the software that does not support ads. My question is what is going to happen when they release the next software update to everyone. Is that going to start the cycle with the ads all over again?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some initial thoughts after getting rid of the pre-roll. My initial Hydra experience was only last month after using Tivo's since 2002. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I was generally fine with the experience. In fact, my original mini seemed more responsive on the new UI. I did not realize I was seeing pre-rolls on the Bolt for the past couple of weeks. Just assumed mass advertising from some sponsors. "If you see something, say something", "DignityHealth" and local Subaru dealer. Around the same time, I started seeing the blue circle MUCH more frequently. I don't think I saw it at all the first few weeks. Now that my box has been reverted to its original condition, my opinion is that there is a noticeable difference in speed/response. I was immediately struck by how quickly programs loaded compared to most recent use. YMMV based on your personal UI experience.

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
So it sounds like they may have downgraded you to a prior version of the software that does not support ads. My question is what is going to happen when they release the next software update to everyone. Is that going to start the cycle with the ads all over again?
No, it's a server side setting associated with each TiVo in your account, not tied to specific software version. TiVo has a bunch of such settings completely under their control now, including for example ability to toggle on/off commercial skip capability. That's why it requires you to call in and provide your TiVo TSN # to get it changed. If they really wanted to they could add a toggle once you login to their web page, but obviously for this particular setting they don't want to make it that easy to disable.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,739 Posts
It occurs to me that this experience may be a bit different on the forthcoming TiVo app for Fire/Roku/Android. I was just getting comfortable with the idea of staying with TE3 on my Roamio Pro and v2 Minis, and giving up my buzzing low-quality Bolt in case it forces TE4. I'd probably repair and sell that one, and upgrade the HD in the Roamio.

But the TiVo app would be a good solution for one room here, and I assume it has only one UI in the form of some version of TE4. So, I'd have to opt-out with the help of customer service and see what happens. (On the topic of TiVo apps, seems to me it would be a good idea to have the pre-rolls pulled directly from the servers rather than through the local TiVo box, as that may reduce the likelihood of seeing the BSC. But what do I know. And I won't be watching the ads to test that if I can help it.)

Next to the TiVo app I will also be experimenting with HD HomeRun and Channels apps among others. But TiVo remains the easiest solution.

Reactions: compuguy

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
That is a very good question. If getting rid of the ads, FOR NOW, keeps someone from rolling back to TE3 then if the ads "come back" later with a software update TE4 may be locked in at that time, cannot revert to TE3. I'd say the SAFEST thing to do is revert to TE3 now and see how things develop over time, monitor the groups here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Some initial thoughts after getting rid of the pre-roll. My initial Hydra experience was only last month after using Tivo's since 2002. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I was generally fine with the experience. In fact, my original mini seemed more responsive on the new UI. I did not realize I was seeing pre-rolls on the Bolt for the past couple of weeks. Just assumed mass advertising from some sponsors. "If you see something, say something", "DignityHealth" and local Subaru dealer. Around the same time, I started seeing the blue circle MUCH more frequently. I don't think I saw it at all the first few weeks. Now that my box has been reverted to its original condition, my opinion is that there is a noticeable difference in speed/response. I was immediately struck by how quickly programs loaded compared to most recent use. YMMV based on your personal UI experience.
This just re-affirms my decision to stick with TE3. I would love to have auto-skip and even though we now have some confirmation you can opt out of pre roll ads on TE4, the other potential drawbacks are just too big.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Finally, almost everybody in this forum has been a customer long enough and is eligible to opt out. So quit whining about it and do it already! Your empty threats of leaving Tivo for good ("and this time I mean it") and class-action lawsuits are falling on deaf ears because it's not going to happen. Downgrading to TE3 will happen because some people are paranoid. But maybe you can try opting out before the ads come to your Tivos; like a horrible virus infecting your DVR that posts your playlist on the Internet for everyone to see, sends an electrical surge frying all the components in your entertainment center, then finally bursts into flames.
Wow, see the above for an example of the foreign philosophy of low expectations that's killing the country by making surrender and cowardice in the face of deception, the truth, but failing, thank God, always failing with a laugh.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
No, it's a server side setting associated with each TiVo in your account, not tied to specific software version. TiVo has a bunch of such settings completely under their control now, including for example ability to toggle on/off commercial skip capability. That's why it requires you to call in and provide your TiVo TSN # to get it changed. If they really wanted to they could add a toggle once you login to their web page, but obviously for this particular setting they don't want to make it that easy to disable.
Ah, that is good to know. Still would scare me that they could turn the ads back on at any time. And if TE4 is locked by then in nothing you could do about it. I wonder if the privacy/ads settings on your Tivo account could affect these pre-rolls. You can "opt out" one setting, limit ad tracking on another and reset your advertising ID on another.

·
Registered
721 Posts
According to TiVoTed these are things needed to keep out of pocket cost down going forward as the consumer side has not changed much in the past 20 years:
TiVo inserting short advert before playing a recording
If to many of us retail owners either opt out of these ads or roll back to TE3 then there will be consequences for all retail owners going forward.
oh my! You go first and save us from the consequences of the Rovi marauders.

"Where are those stinking little TiVo rebels, quick, quick, under the bed fellow Rovi marauders."

·
TDL shepherd
17,857 Posts
Wow, see the above for an example of the foreign philosophy of low expectations that's killing the country by making surrender and cowardice in the face of deception, the truth, but failing, thank God, always failing with a laugh.
I've tried a few generic brands but always come home to Reynolds; just can't beat them for reflectivity.

761 - 780 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.