TiVo Community Forum banner
721 - 740 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Do you pay a fee to be here?
I'm going to intrude and say that unlike with TiVo, we have a choice here on TCF. We can either pay to get rid of ads, or we can enjoy the site filled with ads.

If the subscription rates aren't sustainable, TiVo should raise the rates. Offer a cheaper subscription plan that involves ads, but not necessarily pre-roll ads. (For those who paid for lifetime subscriptions already, no more ads than before.)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yes, but now Tivo has bean counters that will create a powerpoint that says adding ads to TE3, will generate 1 million dollars a year, an it will cost XXXXXX less then that do implement.
As Tivo_Ted has stated here, Tivo has no plans to add this feature to TE3 at this time. The decision has been made by Tivo. The business case does not support it. Of course they could change their minds, but right now, Tivo believes they can make more money applying their limited dollars & resources to other projects which will hopefully make a greater return on investment.

·
TDL shepherd
17,843 Posts
When TiVo_Ted says "mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time", what evidence is there for that statement? Is the Edge notably less expensive than the Bolt and Roamio? Did I miss an announcement regarding price reductions for the cost of lifetime or monthly TiVo subscriptions?
Dunno, but you seem to be ignoring "over time."

·
TDL shepherd
17,843 Posts
Actually, that's not what he said. All he said was there are no current plans to bring pre-roll ads to TE3. Those plans could change next year, next month, or tomorrow.
It was implied by Ted's statement that TE3 is in maintenance mode (bug fixes only), and that the ads were a "feature." But I still wouldn't say ever.

·
TDL shepherd
17,843 Posts
Ironic all the ads we see here on this site, some right alongside these words while we complain about ads.
Eh, not all that ironic, since the situations aren't the same.

I've had ads from the beginning, and accept them as the cost of free access to the site, knowing that I could eliminate the ads via a paid subscription. Seems like most everyone would be groovy were TiVo doing the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The pure irony of implementing "AUTO SKIP" just months before implementing "FORCED PRE-ROLL ADS" leaves me with the impression that Tivo has no clear concept of where their success lies in the marketplace. I came to Tivo after having my ReplayTV (with lifetime service) killed off in the early 2000s (the switch to all digital cable killed it) and then recently my Moxi (with lifetime service) was killed by Arris (and/or the folks Arris sold Moxi to) when they arbitrarily decided that the lifetime channel guide interval for all owners had simply expired.

Tivo was known me as a promising, stable alternative for many years and I didn't hesitate to buy a Tivo Bolt Vox and contract for the lifetime service.

I was inspired by Tivo's daring implementation of the "AUTO SKIP" feature in the face of potential legal challenges. But now with the new "PRE-ROLL ADS" being forced on Tivo owners - especially those of us with lifetime subscriptions - doesn't this put Tivo on much shakier ground from a legal standpoint? Stripping out commercials from content and then essentially replacing it with a different ad scheme of your own sounds a bit iffy to me. Sure could make the legal arguments tougher in court.

FWIW, I have no issue at all with Tivo offering the "PRE-ADS" with a discounted service plan. But to retroactively invoke these unwanted ads on Tivo owners who contracted lifetime services prior to this "feature" is morally and probably legally wrong.

·
UHD Addict
23,267 Posts
Assuming it's necessary, wouldn't it make more sense to just raise the monthly and annual rates instead?
They are already way too high.

I had not been seeing any pre-roll ads from my TiVo Minis. So I checked my Bolts and Roamio directly. I didn't see any ads on them yet either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
721 - 740 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.