TiVo Community Forum banner
641 - 660 of 2517 Posts

· Registered
27,658 Posts
TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.

If this happens and doesn't get ripped to shreds, I'm gone as a tivo customer. I see lawsuits coming.
"The company intends to roll out the commercials to users still on TiVo Experience 3 at a later date." (Said by the article's author, not directly attributed to TiVo.)

There seems to be a difference of opinion, from what was said by @TiVo_Ted here earlier today . . . .

· Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
If you look at the video, and the blue spinning circle at the start of the pre-roll ad, and then combine that with reports that skipping past the ad is sluggish (not like regular SkipMode ad skipping), all that indicates to me that TiVo is live-streaming the pre-roll ad.
If they haven't already, someone with TE4 will watch their router's traffic monitor and see. But it sounds like streaming.

· Registered
27,658 Posts
Also, I think some of us have heard that reverting to TE3 may not be possible at some point in the near future. Do not flip that switch while you're deploying the pre-roll ads, guide ads, and other ads that might be just around the corner. It would be highly unfair to alter our experience so much while simultaneously trapping us. Give us a shut-off date set in the reasonably timed future. Don't keep this a secret that's sprung on us after the fact.
Personally, I think that 14 years notice would be fair. (But ask me again in 13.)

· Registered
27,658 Posts
Well, flagrant misrepresenting their position to TiVo customers. I don't know about the bank on how it would effect how they would design their software, but I am assuming it would as soon as the teller takes a screwdriver to it :)
I'm really trying to credit your views. But I keep on coming up with the wall in the TiVo user's agreement, etc., and for which there has not been a response: "Features and functionality are subject to change. We reserve the right to determine the timing and content of software updates, which may be automatically downloaded and installed by TiVo products without prior notice to you." (TiVo User Agreement.)

· Cord Cutter
6,089 Posts
Attributed to Zatz that I saw on DSLReports:

I saw Dave Zatz posted that this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Also if you try to block the ad servers on your home network, it hangs indefinitely waiting to load a pre-roll add that will never load.
What if you cut it off completely, and only manually update guide data, or only let it update in the off hours when you don't use it? Does this mean that if Comcast (or whoever your ISP is) flakes out you can't watch recordings on your TiVo?

Reactions: tarheelblue32

· Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".

Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
Thank you for the clarification Ted. Again, given how you must be feeling your participation today is very much appreciated.

I'd like to follow up your response with another question. Do you have any knowledge at this point if TE3 users will be forced to upgrade any time soon?

It's great that maintenance mode means no ads for TE3 but how long will TE3 be kept alive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
That's very troubling. It seems logical that it would do the exact same thing if the TiVo servers went down.
I hope that this is not the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Noelmel

· Registered
1,630 Posts
You do realize the grid guide has ALWAYS been an option, right? It isn't as though using TE3 means you must use the Live Guide.

Also, the app uses the same guide format regardless of whether your Tivo is set to use Live Guide or grid guide...
Grid was not a good option with older (smaller Tv's) a big flat screen changes everything. TE3 always felt like the old Tivo SD being dragged kicking and streaming.

· Funkadelic
3,527 Posts
What if you cut it off completely, and only manually update guide data, or only let it update in the off hours when you don't use it? Does this mean that if Comcast (or whoever your ISP is) flakes out you can't watch recordings on your TiVo?
Attributed to Zatz that I saw on DSLReports:

I saw Dave Zatz posted that this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Also if you try to block the ad servers on your home network, it hangs indefinitely waiting to load a pre-roll add that will never load.
Well. It was one early test with one specific technique. We'll see what happens as the "feature" evolves and under additional scenarios with differing variables. So, yeah, I won't be having mine turned off. :)

· Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the delay in joining the conversation. I came back from CEDIA with a nasty case of food poisoning that ended up with me in the ER on a drip line for dehydration. No fun.

As you have noticed, we have started to rollout DVR pre-roll ads. This is part of a broader initiative to modernize TiVo's consumer business model.

The ads are served dynamically when playback starts at the beginning of a recording playback. Recordings from certain ad-free networks will not get pre-roll ads and resuming playback on a recording also does not get an ad. Lastly since these are dynamic ads, there are times when ad slots are not purchased in which case ad may not see an ad playback. To ensure the experience remains consistent these ads are skippable using the same buttons you would use for ad-skip (Chan Up, D, SKIP and FF). As part of our commitment to improve the experience, we are measuring each step in the process and will be continually optimizing the ads to reduce latency and improve performance.

We are also investing to bring more content to TiVo users. Our soon to be launched TiVo+ video service will include dozens of channels of free entertainment. We have assembled an amazing set of partners as part of this service and will be evolving it in the coming months with many more channels, on-demand movies and shows and other exciting specialty content coming as well.
Heres a way to improve the experience:

Don't play ads.

Furthermore, what benefit is their to the Tivo user. I don't care about your free entertainment. Keep your free Tivo+, and give me an ad free experience I paid for.

· Registered
721 Posts
I'm really trying to credit your views. But I keep on coming up with the wall in the TiVo user's agreement, etc., and for which there has not been a response: "Features and functionality are subject to change. We reserve the right to determine the timing and content of software updates, which may be automatically downloaded and installed by TiVo products without prior notice to you." (TiVo User Agreement.)
These click e-agreements have been challenged in the Court and are not held to the same standard as a binding contract and for good reason. The click e-agreement can say anything it wants, but you as an individual having certain protections under law, you can not be taken advantage of. The judge has the authority, not a click it e-document to determine if the class action suit has merit. In case, is there a pattern of behavior that shows Rovi misrepresented themselves when they bought TiVo by not revealing they are a predatory company to TiVo customers as Rovi's behavior suggests. The idea that they misrepresented themselves to us is the only explanation that fits as an answer to their questionable behaviors, but makes perfect sense if they are a predatory corporation that raided TiVo for what they could squeeze out its good name. It's clear that TiVo questionable behavior as of late and since Rovi took control strongly suggests they are not acting as tech company, but like a bunch of vultures picking off what's left of the old TiVo bones and doing nothing else, but hiding this behind the TiVo's brand.

· Registered
27,658 Posts
These click e-agreements have been challenged in the Court and are not held to the same standard as a binding contract and for good reason. The click e-agreement can say anything it wants, but you as an individual having certain protections under law, you can not be taken advantage of. The judge has the authority, not a click it e-document to determine if the class action suit has merit. In case, is there a pattern of behavior that shows Rovi misrepresented themselves when they bought TiVo by not revealing they are a predatory company to TiVo customers as Rovi's behavior suggests. It's clear that TiVo questionable behavior as of late and since Rovi took control strongly suggests they are not acting as tech company, but like a bunch of vultures picking off what's left of the old TiVo bones and doing nothing else, but hiding this behind the TiVo's brand.
Ah, so attacking the user, etc. agreements as a whole. Got it--thanks.

· Registered
110 Posts
Isn't there a way to limit the bandwidth on some router ports via QoS? Maybe limiting your bandwidth to 500Kbps would cause ads to not show. Downside is the loading of images when viewing what to watch I imagine since guide data is usually done late at night.
Depending on the router/switch, there may be options to control bandwidth usage by port or by source/destination, but typically for consumer routers (the netgears, asus', etc.) turning on various QoS features can turn a high performance router into something that runs at substantially reduced speeds due to no longer using the hardware assisted forwarding paths in the SoC, so it is not always a good approach (those running advanced networking have many more options).

641 - 660 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.