TiVo Community Forum banner
621 - 640 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Well, at the risk of continuing to go off-topic, let me explain further. TiVo's consumer business model has not evolved much in the 20+ years we've been selling DVR's. I can go into more detail in another thread, but mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time.
Glad you're back, and in good/better health.

I would actually like to see that discussion in a new thread. In the void of information, the inmates tend to get restless and punchy around here. Nobody is going to enjoy the ads anymore because of that discussion, but you always offer a great deal of transparency that manages to lower the temperature of the discussion.

I couldn't agree more that Tivo has not evolved well on the consumer side, and my biggest personal sticking point right now is the app platform. I think a number of us are disappointed in the lack of evolution here, so I would love for you to cover this topic as well, if you decide to go ahead with a new thread. I hear a small, new upstart company called Disney is working on one, and I'd rather not have to hit my input button a bunch of times to check it out. ;)

I don't like this pre-roll idea and plan to have them shut off. However, I'm all for ad-supported free content, premium services, and the like. I think a number of us have been wondering why we never got a proper VOD platform and other stuff. I'm more than happy to be a customer more often than once every three years. Shut up and take my money -- but do it the right way. :p

Also, some of us may have heard that reverting to TE3 may not be possible at some point in the near future. Do not flip that switch while you're deploying the pre-roll ads, guide ads, and other ads that might be just around the corner. It would be highly unfair to alter our experience so much while simultaneously trapping us. Give us a shut-off date set in the reasonably timed future. Don't keep this a secret that's sprung on us after the fact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm back here for the first time in a long while to share my frustration and disappointment with this development. I find myself taking a long view. I bought my Sony-produced Series 1 in 2001, and it was wonderful. The company and its employees deserved more success than it received. I kept waiting for a TiVo tipping point (and moving into and out of $TIVO at ~$4.50 and $8 or so) that never came. I view this effort to "modernize TiVo’s consumer business model" as a clinching confirmation that their effort to build their business around an improved experience has failed. I wish I could have convinced more people to buy TiVos back when it mattered. I suppose I'll be advocating not going with a TiVo now.

Thankfully, I'm still TE3 on a Roamio. I'll call and see if my 18+ years gets me an opt-out, anyway. I hope the absence of pre-roll lasts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Isn't there a way to limit the bandwidth on some router ports via QoS? Maybe limiting your bandwidth to 500Kbps would cause ads to not show. Downside is the loading of images when viewing what to watch I imagine since guide data is usually done late at night.

Just spitballing here...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.
Perthaps you missed this post.

Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".

Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
Now since the pre roll ads are a feature and TE3 is now in maintenance mode with no further features only bug fixes it seems to me it is safe to say pre roll is not coming to TE3.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Careful. It is a Terms of Service Violation to either file a class action OR participate in one, so if Tivo has a way to find out if you participated, they''ll likely terminate your service (which yes, they can do if you violate the TOS EVEN IF YOU PAID FOR LIFETIME).
Rovi troll crawl back to your hole with you're scare tactics.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok give me a better conclusion.
There is a patern of behavior over the years by Rovi that can reveal Rovi is a corporate predator and raided TiVo and deceived us of their true intent. There is a clear pattern of behavior. There is no real evidence that Rovi was ever a tech company and there is no evidence since Rovi bought TiVo that TiVo is still a tech company since it lacks any technology advance outside that lipstick on the pig thing they pulled with Hydra, which is a cosmetic graphic design.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
There is a patern of behavior over the years by Rovi that can reveal Rovi is a corporate predator and raided TiVo and deceived us of their true intent. There is a clear pattern of behavior. There is no real evidence that Rovi was ever a tech company and there is no evidence since Rovi bought TiVo that TiVo is still a tech company since it lacks any technology advance outside that lipstick on the pig thing they pulled with Hydra, which is a cosmetic graphic design.
I've seen you post that before but I'm not sure that is gonna fly as an argument to win a court case. Really not sure what being a tech company or not has to do with it, TiVo could be a bank holding company making DVRs and it would have no effect on how they design their software.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Some attributed to Zatz that I saw on DSLReports:

I saw Dave Zatz posted that this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Also if you try to block the ad servers on your home network, it hangs indefinitely waiting to load a pre-roll add that will never load.
That's very troubling. It seems logical that it would do the exact same thing if the TiVo servers went down.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've seen you post that before but I'm not sure that is gonna fly as an argument to win a court case. Really not sure what being a tech company or not has to do with it, TiVo could be a bank holding company making DVRs and it would have no effect on how they design their software.
Well, flagrant misrepresenting their position to TiVo customers. I don't know about the bank on how it would effect how they would design their software, but I am assuming it would as soon as the teller takes a screwdriver to it :)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Perthaps you missed this post.

Now since the pre roll ads are a feature and TE3 is now in maintenance mode with no further features only bug fixes it seems to me it is safe to say pre roll is not coming to TE3.
Maybe, maybe not. We can't really know that for certain. And what happens if/when TiVo decides to push TE4 upgrades out to all TiVos capable of running it and disables the ability to downgrade to TE3?

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Well, flagrant misrepresenting their position to TiVo customers. I don't know about the bank on how it would effect how they would design their software, but I am assuming it would as soon as the teller takes a screwdriver to it :)
I understand what you're trying to say, just skeptical it has the makings of a good lawsuit. Who knows.

621 - 640 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.