TiVo Community Forum banner
581 - 600 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Similar to inserting an ad before the actual issue... :) Note anything I post isn't referencing you rather TiVo which I presume you represent. I guess with untold questions not being addressed I found it disingenuous to go off topic.
Well, at the risk of continuing to go off-topic, let me explain further. TiVo's consumer business model has not evolved much in the 20+ years we've been selling DVR's. I can go into more detail in another thread, but mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".

Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
Good to hear your back in good health.

A feature for who, Ted?
I am paying for this feature and it's not my feature. Rather, it is Rovi/TiVo's.
Com'on~
Do note, the term "feature" was put in quotes. ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, at the risk of continuing to go off-topic, let me explain further. TiVo's consumer business model has not evolved much in the 20+ years we've been selling DVR's. I can go into more detail in another thread, but mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time.
Hate to be the skunk at the "Rovi/TiVo feast", but did you guys ever try listening to the consumers and produce a better product, instead, just saying, you're not the iPhone, plenty of room still for real features that the customers want and is willing to pay for.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".
Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
TE3 still can not access another TE3 box if the other box is in Standby. A TE3 Mini can not access its host if that host is in Standby. I know, don't use Standby. But that bug has been around a long time.

BTW, the software release notes have fallen behind except the date, which changes for some unknown reason.

Tivo Customer Support Community

·
Registered
91 Posts
All my TIVOS still using TE3. Tried Hydra, hated it and reverted back. I am happy with it and now that Ted confirms no ads to TE3 nothing for me to worry about.

I do wonder how this will work out if mass numbers of subscribers revert back to TE3 from Hydra to avoid ads. They may find a much lower number of subscribers seeing these ads they are inserting. I hope this doesn't force Hydra on everyone at some point. Just leave my TE3 alone and I am happy until the box dies down the road.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hate to be the skunk at the "Rovi/TiVo feast", but did you guys ever try listening to the consumers and produce a better product, instead, just saying, your not the iPhone, plenty of room still for real features that the customers want and is willing to pay for.
Yep, I can think of a few things. If these new ads become onerous then my shift to streaming/OTA will happen sooner rather than later. And my Tivo will be relegated to an OTA DVR for the few channels I can get via antenna and my AppleTV will take over all the other shows I want to watch.

Tivo needs to add current versions of the streaming apps and add some new streaming apps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
141 Posts
See, and all of that is COMPLETELY fine with me. I have always had a hard time selling Tivo because of the cost, but if you offered an experience that had ads, at say $10/month, it would be easier to sell to the average consumer.

Where I have a problem is, as someone who paid full price for Tivo, and someone who still would WITHOUT ads (so in this scenario I would expect to pay more) I am being treated the same, and subject to the same ads as someone who benefited from lower up front costs. If I got in my car, but before I could put it in gear I had to listen to a 30 second ad or hit another button, that car would be sold immediately. I currently pay for Netflix, if they started putting ads for Ford or Chevy, or whatever, in front of each episode that I couldn't opt out of by paying a higher fee, I would cancel my subscription and never return.

This whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth about Tivo. Since it's not coming to TE3, I'll likely just roll back to that until this Tivo finally dies rather than buying a new Tivo. I guess the sad part for me is, I was really excited to do that before this announcement, but I guess now comes the excitement of finding a replacement.

At the very least, existing customers should be grandfathered in at the "premium" tier (the one we have now) and new customers can decide to pay less for the ad tier, or upgrade to the "premium" tier.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
All my TIVOS still using TE3. Tried Hydra, hated it and reverted back. I am happy with it and now that Ted confirms no ads to TE3 nothing for me to worry about.

I do wonder how this will work out if mass numbers of subscribers revert back to TE3 from Hydra to avoid ads. They may find a much lower number of subscribers seeing these ads they are inserting. I hope this doesn't force Hydra on everyone at some point. Just leave my TE3 alone and I am happy until the box dies down the road.
You know stuff. Will the average consumer (and then want to go through the rollback process, as part of which is the loss of AutoSkip)?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
We are not the "mass numbers". We are just a few dozen enthusiastic users with too much knowledge that we enjoy sharing. It's the TiVo's used by MSOs that never heard of TE4 that are the "masses". My company has a TE4 ad twice an hour now, and it runs on its message channel continuously. They only charge an extra $50 to install it. They use eero and don't list that imaginary Mini "wireless adapter" on their web site. It's a funny world. But I'm not laughing right now.

·
L: 37-35
13,308 Posts
This “feature” should work like Kindle Ads and only show up on subsidized devices with the option to pay and opt out. The “feature” should not roll out to existing plans.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.

If this happens and doesn't get ripped to shreds, I'm gone as a tivo customer. I see lawsuits coming.
TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.

If this happens and doesn't get ripped to shreds, I'm gone as a tivo customer. I see lawsuits coming.
Ugh.

581 - 600 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.