TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 39 of 79 Posts

· Registered
612 Posts
(Personally, I'd love to hear more about TiVo's broader initiative to modernize its consumer business model, but I understand your concern about the whale swallowing the guppy in this thread.
I see it as... I'm "mad" about "X" and they will only talk about "Y"... not exactly respecting my concerns. It's still early (in the game) however at this point I think the lack of PR has had more affect than the ads themselves. I know it currently has more influence (rightfully or wrongfully) on whether I drop TiVo or not. If it was "handled" properly sure it would still raise a stink... however not to this degree.

Their "initiative" appears to be make available as many free ad based streaming channels as they can sign-up and hope you watch enough to get a decent cut. What more do you need to know? :)

· Registered
612 Posts
Are you suggesting my post sounded like cheerleading?
Similar to inserting an ad before the actual issue... :) Note anything I post isn't referencing you rather TiVo which I presume you represent. I guess with untold questions not being addressed I found it disingenuous to go off topic.

This is part of a broader initiative to modernize TiVo's consumer business model.

We are also investing to bring more content to TiVo users. Our soon to be launched TiVo+ video service will include dozens of channels of free entertainment. We have assembled an amazing set of partners as part of this service and will be evolving it in the coming months with many more channels, on-demand movies and shows and other exciting specialty content coming as well.

· Registered
612 Posts
In addition to the several seconds of latency from when you play a recording to when the pre-roll ad begins, if I press any of those buttons it just goes to black screen for 20-30 seconds and the Tivo is totally unresponsive until I eventually get a "recording can't be played" error message and it goes back to live TV.
I guess this is why "TiVo" stated here they are continuing to work on the experience... it would appear very little coding has addressed error conditions which from experience would involve many more lines (of code) than the everything goes as desired path.

· Registered
612 Posts
There is no fundamental reason that the TiVo needs to wait for the launch of a recording to download the ad.
I agree the ad could be "served" locally. At the same time I'm guessing the management (selection/tracking/etc) of the ads would still be handled remotely requiring two way communications. Of course you could batch some of that activity and in reality almost any task can be improved as it's simply a matter of time and money. However often neither is justifiable.

· Registered
612 Posts
As refined as TE3 may be, I think TiVo would have an even bigger problem selling new units if they didn't have a UI that was in the same league as most of the other modern DVRs.
I think virtually any new user would instantly dismiss TiVo if it booted up with TE3... much like dismissing a company when their Internet presence hasn't been updated for decades...

· Registered
612 Posts
I keep a TE4 machine in the stack so I can see how they're doing, but there's so much about it I have no interest in that I have no intention to give up Live Guide and lack of preroll ads for IMNSHO a glorified cableco DVR interface.
In some (rare) cases I can see someone preferring TE3 however since pre-roll ads can be dismissed with one call it's rather difficult to believe one's (entire) justification when they are blindly overlooking that fact. Not to mention the new (improved) Live Guide... :)

· Registered
612 Posts
Visibly slower than TE3.
Been using TE4 since release date and haven't noticed such.
More clicks are required to perform certain tasks in TE4.
Which means certain tasks require fewer (or the same).
You can mock Live Guide all you want but with it I can see 8 hours out on one screen much easier.
In almost two decades of TiVo usage I have never wanted to see 8 hours out "easier" And I believe AutoSkip would trump however many seconds I might "save" with endless hours of seamless viewing via its auto advancing.

Then we have transfers. TE3 has it. TE4 does not.
An absolute that's not (entirely) true.
Thumbs up/down and recommendations. TE3 has it, TE4 does not.
Again an absolute that not entirely true.

Per my post I can see some preferring TE3 (not sure where the personal comes in) but also per my post most often the "reasons" given are not logical rather tunnel vision - such as TE4 has ads. I simply don't understand why those who prefer TE3 can't simply present their reasons without "warping" reality.

Such as I prefer to pass up on endless seamless viewing for something I might look at every so often. :) I never said one shouldn't prefer TE3... rather if you do I'd like to understand the actual reason(s). I have zero recordings on my TiVo and have been looking for (enough) reasons to switch back to TE3 (for the heck of it) and have yet to come up with any...

· Registered
612 Posts
I know that you say that you want to understand why some of us prefer TE3 over TE4, but you then seem to deny the explanations.
I don't deny them rather I find some of them disingenuousness - as covered in previous posts.

I like the Live Guide and just find the Grid Guide painful to use
I covered this in my previous post. However I find it hard to "believe" it's painful. Based on losing a few seconds (perhaps a week).

Suggestions just doesn't work on TE4...
If they don't work for you fine. Suggestions haven't worked for me during the past two decades.

I like having the ability to transfer a show to my TiVo boxes from my PC, and to easily transfer shows between my TiVo boxes using the on-box (rather than separately online via a PC and the TiVo Online webpage)
You prefer one transfer method over another... again fine for you. Again neither methods interests me.

As the original post stated I can understand some preferring TE3 and I would never question someone's preference rather I'm addressing if their reasoning is "valid" for the typical TiVo user. Especially going forward and would prefer to leave the "emotions" out of it. That's all I got so in lieu of repeating myself (endlessly) I'm out of the topic.

· Registered
612 Posts
If you read through the various threads you can see that it's not a rare case for someone here to prefer TE3.
I'm addressing features not users (per se). In the number of hours spent using TiVo I'm guessing it's very rare. What percentage of time (using TiVo monthly) is wasted not having Live Guide? I'd estimate I look at the guide well less than .003 of my TiVo usage. As such it makes up 0% of my user experience.

You'd also see that pre-roll ads are not at the top of the list of reasons many of us prefer TE3.
I'd hope not as there is no reason to avoid TE4 because of them - one call and they are gone.

Now in the scheme of things if one doesn't want to embrace another form of transfers and they are important to them I can understand them wanting to stand still. Makes sense for them even though it doesn't to me. :)

· Registered
612 Posts
Has anyone with a Roamio box received pre-roll ads yet?
I keep trying. :) I'm curious if I can block them via Pi-hole and if so how gracefully it's handled. It appears TiVo hasn't learned their lesson and remained rather cryptic versus being upfront which I'm sure many customers would appreciate. If for no other reason than they were being respected (to some degree).

· Registered
612 Posts
Do it! More stable, less advertising, and as a bonus you get Live Guide and other oldies-but-goodies.
I just downgraded for a few days... found it no more stable, no less advertising and as no bonus found it outdated, clunky and no faster. When the upgrade app finally showed up (after a few days - and a few support calls) I quickly moved on.

· Registered
612 Posts
Again, they are telling me to give them up to 72 hours to get this corrected.
At this point it's well documented as to which domains to block (without any negative impact) so there is no real reason to deal with TiVo especially if each new release brings them back (at some point)... block them and by done.

21 - 39 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.