TiVo Community Forum banner
561 - 580 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd feel different about the pre-roll ads if TiVo stated they were using the additional income stream to provide additional core features like IPTV.
TiVo_TED said they're looking in to adding new TiVo channels, which would pretty much have to be IPTV.

I don't have a problem if new free content includes Ads, and it would be a nice if there was an option to have the TiVo subscription fee replaced by Ads. Kind of like Ad-free Hulu .vs. Ad-based Hulu.

But there shouldn't be pre-roll Ads on subscription or lifetime boxes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
2 questions, if you might be able to respond:
1. Can a customer opt out of the pre-roll ads, as the TiVo customer service reps. have been saying and processing the past couple of days?
2. Is pre-roll also coming to TE3?
3. You may have noticed, the pre-roll transitioning can seem a bit rough--will that be smoothed out?
Yes, our customer support organization does have the ability to opt a customer out of this functionality. I believe there are a number of criteria that go into determining whether a customer is eligible for this (tenure, service plan, etc.). I don't think it's as easy as just calling us up and asking to be opted out.

TE3 was put into maintenance mode almost 2 years ago.

Yes, we are working to improve the performance of the pre-roll ads so they are hardly noticeable.

I will share my personal experience here. For the past 20+ years that I've been a TiVo customer myself, the first thing I do after hitting Play on a show is either FF over the lead-in advertising or SKIP over it on skip-enabled programs. These new pre-roll ads are really no different than that. Press Play, press SKIP. I thought it was going to be more disruptive, but have found it to be a non-issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any chance that these can be blocked by our routers by figuring out the IP address of the server feeding the ads?
I would certainly expect they will be served by a CDN, so the exact IP address(es) may/can/will vary over time (so blocking directly by IP is not likely to be entirely viable). We still have no report as to whether there is a unique DNS name that is being used that could be blocked via dnsbl technology (of course as more vendors implement DoH/DoT that may end up not being viable either).

·
Registered
644 Posts
Are you suggesting my post sounded like cheerleading?
Similar to inserting an ad before the actual issue... :) Note anything I post isn't referencing you rather TiVo which I presume you represent. I guess with untold questions not being addressed I found it disingenuous to go off topic.

This is part of a broader initiative to modernize TiVo's consumer business model.

We are also investing to bring more content to TiVo users. Our soon to be launched TiVo+ video service will include dozens of channels of free entertainment. We have assembled an amazing set of partners as part of this service and will be evolving it in the coming months with many more channels, on-demand movies and shows and other exciting specialty content coming as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, our customer support organization does have the ability to opt a customer out of this functionality. I believe there are a number of criteria that go into determining whether a customer is eligible for this (tenure, service plan, etc.). I don't think it's as easy as just calling us up and asking to be opted out.

TE3 was put into maintenance mode almost 2 years ago.

Yes, we are working to improve the performance of the pre-roll ads so they are hardly noticeable.

I will share my personal experience here. For the past 20+ years that I've been a TiVo customer myself, the first thing I do after hitting Play on a show is either FF over the lead-in advertising or SKIP over it on skip-enabled programs. These new pre-roll ads are really no different than that. Press Play, press SKIP. I thought it was going to be more disruptive, but have found it to be a non-issue.
In my 20 years of usage, this is not my experience. Furthermore, anytime Tivo "inserts" itself via a server checkin, it ads a few seconds (in my experience) that I cannot watch my show. For a service that I paid over $1000 for one box, this is simply unacceptable.

But let me ask you a serious question (that you likely will not be able to answer). I was planning to buy an Edge, a new Mini, and Lifetime service for both on day of release. Assuming that would have cost me $1200, how many ads will Tivo need to run for others to make up the lost revenue (because I obviously will no longer consider that purchase if this goes through, even if I do continue to use my Lifetime Tivo until it dies).

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,759 Posts
Are you suggesting my post sounded like cheerleading?
I'm not the OP, but I will respond to that (especially since I was the first on this thread to invoke your name in hopes of getting your input).

I just "liked" your last post above, which was clear, concise, and effectively answered the most pressing questions that have been plaguing most of us. I am hopeful that this excellent feedback will assuage a lot of bent feelings about this pre-roll ad topic to date.

However (and for the very first time, I might add), I was disappointed with your previous post and did find it self-serving in tone. I would like to write that off to lingering health issues since IMHO it was very much not the type of communication I have come to expect and appreciate from your valuable presence on this forum.

I hope that you will have a speedy recovery--in spite of the additional heartburn the current topic is bound to cause you;).

·
Registered
27,636 Posts

·
Tivo Junkie
637 Posts
So as a hypothetical, if you have a household with 4 people in it and you watch 25 recorded shows a day between them all, Tivo could be feeding in 750 ads a month to said household? Does that sound reasonable to people? How much data/bandwidth would that use? How horrible will this experience be if you're having a bad server day? I have days where my Tivo takes a good minute or more to just open a recordings folder(hey look, it's that blue spinning circle we all love so much) so I can start a show(and then be greeted with another spinning circle after pressing play) when the Tivo server is out to lunch.

My other issue with this whole thing is that sure, ads are skippable for now(with a chance of a DVR reboot according to some) but how long before that changes? If everyone skips the ad how does anyone make any money since that's been the argument for years now. If we skip ads everyone suffers. Isn't that what they say? How long before forced ads become a thing? Also, how long before the ads turn up in other areas? I know I'm in a minority but I have only ever used my Tivos for one single thing and that is to record shows. The streaming on the boxes stink compared to a dedicated streaming box like a Roku so I don't care about any of that. I only want to record shows and watch them when I have time. If I were to start seeing ads everywhere(and the lag that sometimes comes with the Tivo servers) on my Tivo when I want to use it I might as well just go strictly X1 DVR since Tivo is losing more(they already lost on having solid guide data years ago) of what made them a premium product to me. I'm sorry but this is not the Tivo Experience I'm looking for.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
It's called, obfuscatin. Rovi must have had them take a workshop on it. :)
I don't see that as much as tech-speak. As explained in earlier days by TiVo (I believe by @TiVo_Ted) vis-a-vis TE3 and TE4, TE3 gets maintenance work but not new features. I take the present comment as, pre-roll ads are not coming to TE3, as that is not maintenance but a new feature. But perhaps that assumption will be corrected, if wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a short timer compared to a lot of others, but in the last 5 years I've purchased 3 Tivos including 2 with lifetime. I ordered a Tablo today, and my lifetime Bolt will be on eBay as soon as I have it set up and running. My already canceled Roamio OTA will be be dismantled for the hard drive and recycled. I don't care that it's easy to skip the pre-roll ads, it's a principle thing for me, and I'm not going to waste my time calling customer service begging for the ads to be turned off. I already had one foot out the door in favor of something with better streaming options, and this sealed the deal.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
So as a hypothetical, if you have a household with 4 people in it and you watch 25 recorded shows a day between them all, Tivo could be feeding in 750 ads a month to said household? Does that sound reasonable to people? How much data/bandwidth would that use? How horrible will this experience be if you're having a bad server day? I have days where my Tivo takes a good minute or more to just open a recordings folder(hey look, it's that blue spinning circle we all love so much) so I can start a show(and then be greeted with another spinning circle after pressing play) when the Tivo server is out to lunch.
As a fellow DSL/data-limited user posted earlier, I'd also be interested in the answers there. If your television watching is via TiVo recordings and you watch a fair amount of television, how much of a hit are pre-roll ads going to make on your 150GB/month data limit?

561 - 580 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.