TiVo Community Forum banner
481 - 500 of 2517 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
With my legacy Comcast DVR that I used to have, there was an ad at the bottom of the guide... how annoying and a waste of space. With TiVo, no ad there, but then we have the Discovery Bar at the top... along with Pause ads, Delete ads, Folder ads, and TiVo Central ads sometimes showing up. I hate those.

How about offering an ad-free version? I mean completely ad-free. An ad would be something that would generate TiVo revenue, even if it's for placing a TV show up in the Discovery Bar. There is a monetary value to this. What if we, TiVo users, were willing to match that value so we don't see ads anymore? Would it matter if the revenue is coming from current sponsors or TiVo users? This would be optional on top of any monthly, annual, or lifetime subscriptions. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?

I'm basing my comment on "ok, TiVo, you want to increase revenue" mentioned.
We don't know yet but this could be a new revenue stream from TiVo owners who have lifetime, i.e. paying 4.99 per month to be ad free moving forward. It would not surprise me at all if they remove lifetime as an option when buying a new TiVo to keep folks locked in at a smaller monthly rate.

·
Registered
562 Posts
We don't know yet but this could be a new revenue stream from TiVo owners who have lifetime, i.e. paying 4.99 per month to be ad free moving forward. It would not surprise me at all if they remove lifetime as an option when buying a new TiVo to keep folks locked in at a smaller monthly rate.
How many of us would be willing to pay an additional monthly fee to switch back to Gracenote? Optional, of course.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
I don't see much reason why they couldn't do it in realtime. YouTube and Hulu do it. I'd agree that the probably are pre-downloading. All we really need is someone with TE4 who is getting these ads to go into their router and see if their TiVo uses a bunch of bandwidth when they go to start up a show.
A bit of a difference for an application that is 100% streaming and tuned for that versus a device that relies on data on the local drive. The latter takes an infrastructure and probably programming change to pull video from a central server efficiently. And we have seen how inefficient all data pulls from the TiVo servers have been.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
If I were getting these ads (I'm not), I would try going into my router and schedule (via parental control on my router) the Tivo so it is only allowed to connect to the Internet once a week between the hours of 2 AM and 6 AM. My thinking is that they cannot stream an ad when the Tivo cannot access the Internet.

Has anyone tried this? I don't see how it could cause a problem as long as you give it enough time to download the guide. The only way Tivo could counter this would be to download a lot of ads to your Tivo while it is updating the guide and then insert them into the show. I suspect they would not try this because filling up our hard drives with ads would really get lawyers involved.
If you do that, you also eliminate the streaming options from your TiVo (Amazon, Netflix) and severely hamper the graphic loads the TiVo does which could cause slowness all around. And once a week? Guide updates need to be more than that.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
How many of us would be willing to pay an additional monthly fee to switch back to Gracenote? Optional, of course.
They're not gonna give you that option. But it seems they have realized they have ~1 million subs that they have not been monetizing user data well if at all or on a very limited basis and now they want to get in on the action. Maybe its too late or maybe the user base will revolt, the folks on this forum including myself are not happy about it. But maybe the people who are not on TCF don't care that much and if this lowers the point of entry into the TiVo ecosystem, their install base could start creeping forward. Who nose?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm basing my comment on "ok, TiVo, you want to increase revenue" mentioned.
This is an amazing brain washing. Now, they got some of us slowly rationalizing that these ads are somehow acceptable with half-baked logic. Hey! Rovi, you want to increase revenue do it the right way! Improve your product!

But you can't because you have deceived us into believing you are a tech company. You are a predatory corporate raider that used the TiVo brand to hide behind. Your behavior is so obvious and disgusting to what TiVo once stood for and your failure is utterly laughable because you can't even make this disgraceful cheap money grab work because it involves some tech.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A) If you really can get your account exempted from these ads by calling Tivo, do it.
B) If the ads are streamed real time, find the site serving the ads and block it with pi-hole or something similar. Would be interesting to see if doing so causes it to immediately start the recording, or sit there with a spinner trying to contact the ad server.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They've a 0$ down OTA Bolt offer on the 'main page'. I don't know how long there but maybe 'AD INSERTION' is meant to be a portion of that package. I was told in CHAT the feature could be removed like others have mentioned BUT my Bolt being still in the 'wrapper' I'm trying to do something other than connect and do the ask. I can't use the VOX options so the Bolt I've got was a 'intended video' improvement. Having already lost Xfinity VOD there's little else the Bolt can do for me. Their 'support' case options are unusual in that you can't review a case before commenting further. The 1 thing that L3TV/T-Vision was at least very good with was 'CUSTOMER RELATIONS'! You could open a case, review it, add files/snapshots. It was an actual communications event!!

If in fact the 'AD INSERTION' can be turned off maybe I'd do something different. If my Bolt in the wrapper can still be rolled back to TE3 with ads removed and 'LOCKED' in TE3 then I'm maybe good.

Might be a BOLT CableCARD AISP available soon!

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
The 1 thing that L3TV/T-Vision was at least very good with was 'CUSTOMER RELATIONS'! You could open a case, review it, add files/snapshots. It was an actual communications event!!
If in fact the 'AD INSERTION' can be turned of maybe I'd do something different. If my Boly in the wrapper can still be rolled back to TE3 with ads removed an 'LOCKED' in TE3 then I'm maybe good.
Perhaps I don't understand your post, but if you have a case number, like you would for a lineup problem, you can add additional information. From TiVo.com, after you login, select My Support. Find your case and click on the blue part. It should show you a page where you can add data. Now, I don't know if they read it, but you can supply additional data. It sucks that the links are not underlined, so they look like normal text. The addition should generate another email.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Perhaps I don't understand your post, but if you have a case number, like you would for a lineup problem, you can add additional information. From TiVo.com, after you login, select My Support. Find your case and click on the blue part. It should show you a page where you can add data. Now, I don't know if they read it, but you can supply additional data. It sucks that the links are not underlined, so they look like normal text. The addition should generate another email.
You can't review the case before supplying additional info! If it were a 'chain' so that you could comment. Your original or the add isn't included in the return email (OR AT LEAST MINE WEREN'T). IT AIN'T A 'CONVERSATION'!!!!!!!

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
This is an amazing brain washing. Now, they got some of us slowly rationalizing that these ads are somehow acceptable with half-baked logic. Hey! Rovi, you want to increase revenue do it the right way! Improve your product!

But you can't because you have deceived us into believing you are a tech company. You are a predatory corporate raider that used the TiVo brand to hide behind. Your behavior is so obvious and disgusting to what TiVo once stood for and your failure is utterly laughable because you can't even make this disgraceful cheap money grab work because it involves some tech.
How many times you feel it is necessary to repeat the same hyperbolic vitriol? If you could remain objective and rational, your arguments might carry some weight. As is it, I find you add nothing to the conversation, and I only point this out in the hopes that it might dissuade others from following your overemotional path.

Please don't bother to respond as I have now added you to my (very, very short) ignore list.

·
Go Pats!
9,606 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this.

In principle, I am pissed. And once we know more and see what is going to be the full roll-out plan and all I will voice my feelings with them as a subscriber from back at the turn of the century.

In practice, I may be willing to live with it for now.

I have a Bolt on TE3 (downgraded from 4). Our needs are rather simple. I have mentioned to my wife that if the box stops functioning totally (it is lifetime), in that if the service ceased to exist totally, we would prob look closely at youtube TV.

In addition to our TiVo Bolt, we also have an apple TV and also have subs to Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, and use all 3 of those equally. Oh, we will also have a year free of Apple TV+ as we are buying our daughter a new phone in a few weeks.

With prime and hulu we get pre roll stuff. It's not the end of the world. So TiVo doing this is something I can get used to (process-wise) if I have to.

The things that will upset me, together, would be forcing me onto TE4 and a very poor implementation of the pre-roll ads that could cause the box to boot or lag or whatever.

TiVo has my money because I very much like the service/interface (TE3). if that stays mostly intact then I will be ok.

Again, I will still speak my voice as best as I Can, but with a LT box, there's really no way to put more weight behind my feelings as they already have my money.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this.

In principle, I am pissed. And once we know more and see what is going to be the full roll-out plan and all I will voice my feelings with them as a subscriber from back at the turn of the century.

In practice, I may be willing to live with it for now.

I have a Bolt on TE3 (downgraded from 4). Our needs are rather simple. I have mentioned to my wife that if the box stops functioning totally (it is lifetime), in that if the service ceased to exist totally, we would prob look closely at youtube TV.

In addition to our TiVo Bolt, we also have an apple TV and also have subs to Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, and use all 3 of those equally. Oh, we will also have a year free of Apple TV+ as we are buying our daughter a new phone in a few weeks.

With prime and hulu we get pre roll stuff. It's not the end of the world. So TiVo doing this is something I can get used to (process-wise) if I have to.

The things that will upset me, together, would be forcing me onto TE4 and a very poor implementation of the pre-roll ads that could cause the box to boot or lag or whatever.

TiVo has my money because I very much like the service/interface (TE3). if that stays mostly intact then I will be ok.

Again, I will still speak my voice as best as I Can, but with a LT box, there's really no way to put more weight behind my feelings as they already have my money.
You've got presently what I'm asking them to 'commit to' before removing the wrapper and connecting my less than 60 day old Bolt CableCARD VOX.

·
Go Pats!
9,606 Posts
I guess I should add that for my wife and I, there’s still a decent amount of content we do like to get from cable so I sorta want to keep things going with TiVo as long as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Noelmel and WVZR1

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wrapper, schmapper, just return the thing giving the pre-roll ads as the reason ... unless you got the unit at a discount that you feel won't be available later.
It was actually done with the 'Summer Sale'. I can't speak well enough any longer to use VOX so the roll back to TE3 as well as remove the 'pre-roll' is important.

481 - 500 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.