TiVo Community Forum banner
381 - 400 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I do wish someone with ads would see what servers TiVo is hitting. I'm not on that release and during the last 24 hours TiVo has hit...

sls.tivoservice.com
h1.tivoservice.com
i.tivo.com
log.core.cloud.vewd.com

Hopefully the ad server isn't one of the above.
i.tivo.com is for images and uses Akamai. That would make the most sense but we'll need someone to report back.

Scott

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
Tivo provides no content. We pay Tivo for guide and software use. Pre roll ads from a non content provider is an insult. How about Sony adding ads to their TV every time you turn it on. Same thing.
This, 1000%. I don't have an issue with Amazon, Netflix, YouTube doing this. I have a major problem with Tivo doing this, and for them to compare themselves to any content provider/streamer doing pre-rolls is ridiculous.

When the inevitable class-action for lifetime subs is started, I'll be joining. Don't care what the TOS says about them being able to do whatever they want, there will be legal action on this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would image TiVo has to be more worried about lawsuits from the networks and cable channels. If I owned or managed a network, and saw a service that let people watch my shows, skip my ads, but then made money off selling other adds on my content I smell television and cable lawyers getting excited about their billing hours on that.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Just stumbled upon this very long thread. Can someone please give me the CliffsNotes version. Is this indeed happening, and exactly which boxes will be affected? Thanks!
Yes. TE4 and maybe TE3 boxes. No official word from TiVo to customers, just TiVo spokespeople commenting to reporters.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Just stumbled upon this very long thread. Can someone please give me the CliffsNotes version. Is this indeed happening, and exactly which boxes will be affected? Thanks!
So far this has only been on some folks with TE4 boxes but according to some folks this "feature" is coming to all TE4 and likely TE3 boxes. The initial retail customer response is outrage especially for folks on lifetime plans. No official word from Tivo to retail folks and some CSR's have allegedly reported these ads can be skipped/bypassed manually at this time.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What is the 'software version' on those that are receiving the latest TE4 'revenue generating' ad package?

This link should cover the how to if you don't know.

Tivo Customer Support Community

My Bolt is still in the wrapper but the last I've seen mentioned is maybe 9/10 and

21.9.1.V14 for TiVo Experience 4

·
Registered
721 Posts
While during early phases things may be different, I would be surprised if the TiVo engineers are so stupid as to make it easy to use dnsbl or firewall blocks (or something equivalent) to block the ads if the intent is to deliver them.
I think we can question the assumption that TiVo, since it was bought by Rovi even has software engineers. Rovi descriptions have always been questioned. Guide data was assumed to be their strong point. Nothing of the sort has proven to true. No changes to their databases distribution. Expect that lipstick on a pig called, TE4, and I have said before, competent software engineers don't do computer design graphics, and UI pretty stuff is usually contracted out side a company once every few years. The same has been true with the TiVo itself. No evidence of technology improvements. Therefore, no evidence of software engineers being present who would be making those technical improvements if TiVo ever had made any over the years. There is evidence over the years that ever since Rovi bought TiVo that TiVo/Rovi has no computer engineers or we would have seen it first with databases description distribution and then with the TiVo itself. Real software engineering has never happen with TiVo since it was last bought

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Yes. TE4 and maybe TE3 boxes. No official word from TiVo to customers, just TiVo spokespeople commenting to reporters.
So far this has only been on some folks with TE4 boxes but according to some folks this "feature" is coming to all TE4 and likely TE3 boxes. The initial retail customer response is outrage especially for folks on lifetime plans. No official word from Tivo to retail folks and some CSR's have allegedly reported these ads can be skipped/bypassed manually at this time.
Thanks! All my boxes are on TE3, so fingers crossed that it only affects the TE4 boxes. This really sucks, though. I hope they at least offer people on lifetime the ability to disable the feature.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think we can question the assumption that TiVo, since it was bought my Rovi even has software engineers. Rovi descriptions have always been questioned. Guide data was assumed to be their strong point. Nothing of the sort has proven to true. No changes to their databases distribution. Expect that lipstick on a pig called, TE4, and I have said before, competent computer engineers don't do computer design graphics, and UI pretty stuff is usually contracted out side a company once every few years. The same has been true with the TiVo itself. No evidence of technology improvements. Therefore, no evidence of computer engineers being present who would be making those technical improvements if TiVo ever had made any over the years. There is evidence over the years that ever since Rovi bought TiVo that TiVo/Rovi has no computer engineers or we would have seen it first with databases description distribution and then with the TiVo itself.
Look no further than the new CEO they hired as proof that they are hell bent on making this an advertising and data mining (sell your data) play.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As to TE3 their is no confirmation nor hint from Tivo it will have it. Read the articles, it's the authors opinion only.

I bet it will not. More likely you would get a forced upgrade instead.
Agreed. They will force us to upgrade from TE3 at some point and claim they can no longer maintain that code base, limited resources need to be focused on the future, customers will love the new experience, blah blah blah. All short for - "upgrade to our advertising and data mining platform or enjoy your Tivo-bricks."

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would image TiVo has to be more worried about lawsuits from the networks and cable channels. If I owned or managed a network, and saw a service that let people watch my shows, skip my ads, but then made money off selling other adds on my content I smell television and cable lawyers getting excited about their billing hours on that.
Who's to say they won't pacify the cable cos and networks with significantly discounted analytics about Tivo customer viewing habits?

·
TDL shepherd
17,853 Posts
As to TE3 their is no confirmation nor hint from Tivo it will have it. Read the articles, it's the authors opinion only.

I bet it will not. More likely you would get a forced upgrade instead.
There haven't been any reports (at least that I've seen) that the ads are appearing on Roamios running TE4, which, when combined with the CEDIA comment that BOLTs may lose the ability to rollback to TE3, makes me wonder if the ads will be limited to BOLT, EDGE and Mini VOX boxes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There haven't been any reports (at least that I've seen) that the ads are appearing on Roamios running TE4, which, when combined with the CEDIA comment that BOLTs may lose the ability to rollback to TE3, makes me wonder if the ads will be limited to BOLT, EDGE and Mini VOX boxes.
Tivo did say it would go to all eligible devices and that eligible devices were those running TE4.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tivo did say it would go to all eligible devices and that eligible devices were those running TE4.
A 'comment' directly by a TiVo representative or from one of the 'EDITORIALIZED' pushes from the 'usual sources'? I hadn't seen anything that appeared to be a TiVo release. I've had a conversation with TiVo as have others that the 'FEATURE' can be removed/deactivated. I certainly don't know ........

**What might be an interesting argument for Xfinity customers is well TiVo VOD is gone, How about a little consideration and remove the feature or maybe at least make it an opt-in.

If there were reduced prices for monthly subscribers or the Opt-in/out for AISP/PLS users it might be a considered 'feature'. Pay full retail monthly and be able to SKIP, reduced fee 'it stays', AISP/PLS goes away!

381 - 400 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.