TiVo Community Forum banner
321 - 340 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think we'll get much more of TiVo's overall game plan (and see just how baked it is) in October when TiVo+ is officially announced (along with the Edge likely at the same time). I'm wondering if TiVo is pushing this out now (even though their Android TV streaming stick apparently won't be ready until early 2020) in order to get out in front of some bad news that Comcast might deliver this fall with regard to TiVo. Perhaps TiVo wants to show the media and Wall Street that they do have a post-CableCARD DVR future lined up and they're already executing on it.
They've already shipped an 'EDGE' to replace a failed Bolt 're-certified' purchase experience so who knows what's up. I'm good with my TE3 hardware, CableCARD experience etc. The Bolt VOX TE4 if the 'ad feature' can't be 'opted out' for ever I doubt a keeper. No Xfinity VOD not an issue. I believe that once experienced Bolt TE4 users can comment on the daily use and 'feature' aggravation going forward on a daily experience it's not an issue! Post CableCARD ain't an issue!

It might be interesting for Edge users to mention their experience! Maybe the hardware eliminates the 'speed-bump' many seem to feel exists. A 'single ad' I doubt would be much of a nuisance before a DVR PLAY and subsequent plays BUT if an ad before each I could see that a nuisance. What would happen to the 'PLAY ALL'?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I think we'll get much more of TiVo's overall game plan (and see just how baked it is) in October when TiVo+ is officially announced (along with the Edge likely at the same time). I'm wondering if TiVo is pushing this out now (even though their Android TV streaming stick apparently won't be ready until early 2020) in order to get out in front of some bad news that Comcast might deliver this fall with regard to TiVo. Perhaps TiVo wants to show the media and Wall Street that they do have a post-CableCARD DVR future lined up and they're already executing on it.
Well, for heaven's sake, get it out in baked fashion on introduction (low resolution ads? glitchiness and blue spinning circles? is this really what TiVo wants Pres. Trump to be watching?), and actually inform the customers that this is happening and what it is, and its parameters. Don't simply have the tech. dribble out on unsuspecting customers without explanation and leave it hanging in that fashion, with customers to be guessing and information coming from 3rd-party websites and commentators.

If, in fact, the pre-rolls can be turned off through a switch or by calling TiVo, how great--think of how much angst and bad press, and tarnishing of TiVo's image, could be avoided by telling people up-front. Were the Marketing and PR departments kept out of the loop on this one?

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
If you would read this a little closer, the ad is for lower tier paying customers. So they can offer say a 8.99 a month plan. They would see the commercial. Higher paying and lifetime will not.
If they go this route they should also disable all the ads like the pause ads or other static screen stuff.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
If they go this route they should also disable all the ads like the pause ads or other static screen stuff.
Are people currently getting pause ads? I got them years ago when they first came out, and then they (blessedly) went away, and then I've seen them maybe 2 times this year, just enough for me to wonder if it was a glitch. (I'm on TE3, if that makes any difference.)

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you would read this a little closer, the ad is for lower tier paying customers. So they can offer say a 8.99 a month plan. They would see the commercial. Higher paying and lifetime will not.
I read that everyone will have it on TE4.

TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan.
TiVo confirms its customers will soon see ads before DVR recordings

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Are people currently getting pause ads? I got them years ago when they first came out, and then they (blessedly) went away, and then I've seen them maybe 2 times this year, just enough for me to wonder if it was a glitch. (I'm on TE3, if that makes any difference.)
I can't recall seeing a pause ad in quite a long time. Roamio Plus, TE3. Cable.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Well, for heaven's sake, get it out in baked fashion on introduction (low resolution ads? glitchiness and blue spinning circles? is this really what TiVo wants Pres. Trump to be watching?), and actually inform the customers that this is happening and what it is, and its parameters. Don't simply have the tech. dribble out on unsuspecting customers without explanation and leave it hanging in that fashion, with customers to be guessing and information coming from 3rd-party websites and commentators.

If, in fact, the pre-rolls can be turned off through a switch or by calling TiVo, how great--think of how much angst and bad press, and tarnishing of TiVo's image, could be avoided by telling people up-front. Were the Marketing and PR departments kept out of the loop on this one?
As someone who has worked in PR/marketing communications, yeah, I think they definitely pooped the bed on this one.

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
Pre-emptive strike comment. If we pay for an enhanced tier it means no ads anywhere!

·
tabasco rules
16,638 Posts
Had to pause and think on that one.
(in my best irish brouge)

"ahh, i was but a wee lad at the time, still i'll never forget the most infamous 79-day marketing debacle in world history."

if there's any silver lining to this mess, it's good to know it ultimately generated positive results for coke:

·
Registered
306 Posts
While I differ with your characterization of what's going on here, sadly, that's what can happen when a company doesn't communicate with and inform its customers about fundamental matters and unilaterally-imposed changes.
Just to be clear here--I'm not giving TiVo a pass about this AT ALL. I'm furious about it, to be perfectly honest. I'm just not aiming my pitchfork at Ted in particular. It's still a big company and I don't know gis level of involvement or that he'd be able to say anything to us about it.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Just to be clear here--I'm not giving TiVo a pass about this AT ALL. I'm furious about it, to be perfectly honest. I'm just not aiming my pitchfork at Ted in particular. It's still a big company and I don't know gis level of involvement or that he'd be able to say anything to us about it.
I understand. He and his info./announcements/explanations have been missed here. Assuming that he is allowed to speak out loud, I am sure that @TiVo_Ted would be welcome here and that his explanation(s) would be beneficial.

·
Banned
12,434 Posts

Yes. The response on Twitter that I got from TiVo Support was

I understand. I apologize for the inconvenience. I will request an update so your TiVo device no longer shows an advertisement before your recording begins. Please send in your email address so that we can verify your account. I will submit the request now but please note that it will take up to 72 hours to take effect.

Thank you for providing this information. If you have further questions regarding the pre-roll advertisement, you may contact our customer support at 877-367-8486 or through our email/chat support here: Contact us at TiVo | Customer Support and refer to case no. Xxxxxxxx for assistance.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
(in my best irish brouge)

"ahh, i was but a wee lad at the time, still i'll never forget the most infamous 79-day marketing debacle in world history."

if there's any silver lining to this mess, it's good to know it ultimately generated positive results for coke:

Of course, a moral there can be drawn from the fact that "Classic" Coke still is around; not so for "New Coke." ;)

321 - 340 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.