TiVo Community Forum banner
281 - 300 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
So what are the monthly and/or lifetime fees paying for? Oh right to skip ads, and provide guide data. Its one ad today, two tomorrow, 20 mins of ads 3 years from now.

And you'll still be on their side. If I wanted ad's, I wouldn't have bought a TiVo.
It is a SKIPPABLE ad from all I've read. Yeah, it's new and will be an irritant but it is skippable. Just like all ads were before auto ad-skipping was added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
31 Posts
How many outlets? I switched to TiVo with FiOS about 4 years ago but we have 6 TVs to drive. The monthly equipment fees from Verizon were so high, I broke even on 2 Roamio Pros and 4 minis, all with Lifetime service, in less than 18 months.
I have 3 tvs, my fios rental bill was $50 a month. I will break even on the tivos on 3/9/21 :(

·
Registered
721 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Call Tivo and see if they really will remove the ads for your device, and see if it is done permanently.

2. If you only have one Tivo roll it back to TE3 before that becomes impossible. You will lose your recordings. Hopefully they don't add the "ads" to TE3 as they don't do much with TE3 anymore.

3. If you have 2 or more Tivos and want to keep the one on TE4 in spite of the ads put your other Tivo or Tivos on TE3 and either stream or copy the recordings from the TE4 "ad machine" to the TE3 device/devices.

I'm guessing they are "beta testing" the ads with current users. I'll bet the Edge will be released AFTER the ad thing is fully tested/becomes permanent. I doubt they want to sell an Edge to a new user without ads, then add them a short time after purchase.

I have quite a few Tivos, only one on TE4. Because I was testing TE4 and external drives. I really should roll it back to TE3 while I still can, only issue is I have about 2TB recordings on it. Will have to weigh losing the recordings vs being stuck with TE4 forever AND having to put up with ads, I might have been able to live with the TE4 since I have other Tivos with TE3 but this ad thing is just plain terrible.................................. And no, I will not be buying any new Tivos with TE4 mandatory, ads and phasing out of cable cards, while apps are important to some people for me secondary by far, I want a DVR, digital video RECORDER, not an $800 app machine.
Transfer what you need to external HD through your computer and back to the upgrade TE3.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I have no inside info, but given the path they've chosen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hydra become a mandatory upgrade for compatible devices.
Sadly, yep.
If the ad presentation and skip were more seamless, it wouldn't be as big a deal for me. But, as currently implemented, it looks real kludgey. We'll see.
To say that it seems to be an unattractive--in many ways--speedbump is to put it lightly. Even if it's skippable and it's just a matter of a few seconds, it's still a speedbump. And speedbumps impact the experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two observations:

1. I paid roughly $1100 for a bolt and two minis with lifetime. Now a software update has added a feature that may have altered my decision if it was there when I purchased it. I'm sure there are thousands of people like me. For the lawyers in the forum, what legal recourse is there??

2. While I hate this decision as much as anybody here, in the scheme of things this is equivalent to a commercial playing at the start of a recorded show and you have to hit skip. Now it looks like, you will be forced to hit skip twice. Again, I understand the anger, but is this really that much of a negative?
Whats your ad limit? You know it starts with one that's skippable. Then you cant skip. Then its two ads, then its an ad every 15 mins, then one every time you'skip' an ad.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Whats your ad limit? You know it starts with one that's skippable. Then you cant skip. Then its two ads, then its an ad every 15 mins, then one every time you'skip' an ad.
All fair questions. With TiVo's financial problems and no clear path going forward, you have to wonder what new trick after this one is coming.
Hopefully before they get too bad I'll be switching over to streaming/OTA. Already tested out what I would do now if I had to switch and it is doable. Currently not a good enough change in cost to make the switchover compelling yet.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I doubt the ability to skip the ad will be permanent. Otherwise what's the point of having them. Do they think Tivo users are going to watch them. This whole idea is odd.
Maybe their thinking goes like this:

1. CableCARD is living on borrowed time at this point, so we're not really concerned about how our CableCARD-using retail TiVo customers react to forced streaming ads. Many of those folks have already paid us for lifetime service, so what can they do? Among the rest who pay for monthly TiVo service, well, many are leaving cable TV for streaming options (YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc.) anyhow. Those defections will only increase in the next few years as QAM cable channels disappear with the transition to IPTV, led by Comcast.

2. That leaves folks who care about streaming video and free OTA TV as the focus of our retail efforts. Many of those folks are cost-conscious and like stuff that's free or cheap. What we'll do is offer a new TiVo+ app with free video content and forced ads. We'll also roll out a new $50 Android TV stick that features an enhanced version of the TiVo+ app built into the home screen UI. Lastly, we'll sell a Tablo-like OTA network DVR that can work in conjunction with that stick as well as the TiVo+ app on any device (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, iPhone, Android, etc.). We'll price the OTA DVR service two ways: free, with forced streaming ads embedded in the recordings, and paid, with no or few forced ads. Either way, viewers will have our SkipMode feature that lets them skip over the original ads recorded in the broadcast signal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't think any (real) lawyer is going to offer legal advice on a public forum (specifics always matter). But you are always free to talk to your own lawyer and ask that question where your specifics can be evaluated and you can been given advice applicable for you.
A Class Action Suit can always be filed. It's up to the judge where it leads.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
You gotta love the timing of this, too. Souring goodwill weeks before a new hardware launch.

Tivo's been tone deaf for years. If anybody cares to take a stand, the opportunity is almost immediate. Don't buy Edge. They're already going to have a problem justifying Edge's existence as it is, so give them another problem.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
While I hate this decision as much as anybody here, in the scheme of things this is equivalent to a commercial playing at the start of a recorded show and you have to hit skip. Now it looks like, you will be forced to hit skip twice. Again, I understand the anger, but is this really that much of a negative?
But the new ad is skippable too.
Yep, but the pre-roll ad is still a speedbump to my entertainment experience. (Remember "The TiVo Experience," lol?) Equally, from what I've seen and read, it's not a particularly pleasant/well-executed speedbump.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yep, but it's still a speedbump to my entertainment experience. (Remember "The TiVo Experience," lol?) Equally, from what I've seen and read, it's not a particularly pleasant/well-executed speedbump.
I agree. But then I think our entertainment experience is going to be changing regardless. In the next year or so the indications are that many of us will go to streaming either with or without OTA. And currently no streaming service is as good in operation as are our Tivos.

In fact, a growing number of ad supported streaming services are out there now and I've seen a few financial news articles talking about their future. While I was doing my cord cutting experiment I found that using the ad supported streaming services was fine during the day where I'm not actively viewing TV. That makes sense as watching TV during the day is generally reruns of reruns of reruns with lots of ads now.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Been here almost since day one, through thick and thin, highs and lows, misteps and successes. Championed TiVo for over a decade and a half.

However this is a bridge too far. Raise the rates and/or the hardware price, but if this is how Rovi management has decided to "save" TiVo it's an enormous miscalculation IMO.

It's heartbreaking to say, but if implemented without recourse, that'll do it for us. There are far too many other options now.

281 - 300 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.