TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 280 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not sure they are coming. The suits that the networks did with Dish were because of the contracts Dish had with them. Tivo has no such contracts as they have no business relationship with them.
But who knows, when lawyers get involved they will argue black is white with not even a nod to how ridiculous it might be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, but Rovi/TiVo skips the big advertisers network ads and replaces them with theirs. Not how the ball rolls for big Advertising companies.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Has anyone who has seen the ads tried rolling back to TE3?

Has anyone on TE4 noticed if the software version is different when the ads show vs version without the ads?

Those who have seen the ads can you end the show then play it again, is the ad still gone on re showing the same show? real world results.

Are any ads added to premium channels like HBO?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Call Tivo and see if they really will remove the ads for your device, and see if it is done permanently.

2. If you only have one Tivo roll it back to TE3 before that becomes impossible. You will lose your recordings. Hopefully they don't add the "ads" to TE3 as they don't do much with TE3 anymore.

3. If you have 2 or more Tivos and want to keep the one on TE4 in spite of the ads put your other Tivo or Tivos on TE3 and either stream or copy the recordings from the TE4 "ad machine" to the TE3 device/devices.

I'm guessing they are "beta testing" the ads with current users. I'll bet the Edge will be released AFTER the ad thing is fully tested/becomes permanent. I doubt they want to sell an Edge to a new user without ads, then add them a short time after purchase.

I have quite a few Tivos, only one on TE4. Because I was testing TE4 and external drives. I really should roll it back to TE3 while I still can, only issue is I have about 2TB recordings on it. Will have to weigh losing the recordings vs being stuck with TE4 forever AND having to put up with ads, I might have been able to live with the TE4 since I have other Tivos with TE3 but this ad thing is just plain terrible.................................. And no, I will not be buying any new Tivos with TE4 mandatory, ads and phasing out of cable cards, while apps are important to some people for me secondary by far, I want a DVR, digital video RECORDER, not an $800 app machine.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't do cosplay, but one benefit would be the company not going bankrupt, or at least not as quickly?
That is certainly an issue. Tivo is not in any kind of good shape going forward. People are dropping cable to go to streaming and Tivo has no solution for them. And even if the Tivo boxes could get the apps to make them a better streamer, the price is too high for any of them.

For example, you could get a Roku for $40 or so, add the HD Homerun for about $75 and have all the streaming and OTA you could stand. Using other streaming boxes ranges from that $40 to about $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Someone has to pay for hardware and software to be developed to allow TiVo or other DVRs to function, and you're the ones using them.
Isn't that what the TiVo subscription fee is for, in part (and totally ignoring the charge for the hardware)?

Yes, I know that TiVo needs further revenue. But why not do something, I don't know, positive. Unilaterally shoving an ad in my face, every time I want to watch a recorded show, seems a bridge too far. (Now, if this "feature" really can be turned off, that helps--but, of course, the TiVo mothership hasn't said anything about this, we only have what some TiVo customer service reps. have said. Time will tell.)
There will be some folks who sell their TiVo over this but I really do think that the TiVo users who post on this forum are probably more pissed off about the pre-roll video ad than is the average TiVo user. Not that I'm defending what TiVo is doing here. Especially for DVRs with paid lifetime service, they should never implement this program in the first place, even if it can be removed after making a phone call.
Very likely the case. But the "feature" also tarnishes the brand and product. "Hey, Bob, you gonna buy a TiVO?" "Isn't that the one that forces you to watch ads to watch your shows? Nah." That's how sales and market share erode.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Two observations:

1. I paid roughly $1100 for a bolt and two minis with lifetime. Now a software update has added a feature that may have altered my decision if it was there when I purchased it. I’m sure there are thousands of people like me. For the lawyers in the forum, what legal recourse is there??

2. While I hate this decision as much as anybody here, in the scheme of things this is equivalent to a commercial playing at the start of a recorded show and you have to hit skip. Now it looks like, you will be forced to hit skip twice. Again, I understand the anger, but is this really that much of a negative?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I am not getting the ads yet myself, if/when I do I will test if I can stream shows from my TE3 devices through the TE4 Bolt without getting the ads. Terrible if not as the only reason I have a Bolt is to stream shows from the TE3 Roamios to get the 4K upconversion. I think I will put a fresh drive in one of my TE3 Roamios and start transferring shows from the Bolt, nice thing about Roamio is I can keep the drive currently in there intact, can have two (or more) drives, all with different recordings and swap them anytime ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him [TiVo_Ted] for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.
While I differ with your characterization of what's going on here, sadly, that's what can happen when a company doesn't communicate with and inform its customers about fundamental matters and unilaterally-imposed changes.

Thus far, as far as I can tell, the new "feature" has been left for customers to discover at random, totally surprisingly; for 3rd-party reporters and commentators to report on, including based on an unidentified TiVo spokesperson; and for TiVo customer service reps. (not known for their reliability) to give info. on, some of which has been contradictory. As far as I am aware, TiVo has not yet said anything officially. (And yet, my TiVo box seems fully capable of informing me every time a TV station that I don't receive changes.)

Customer and public relations can be a good thing.

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
I don't think any (real) lawyer is going to offer legal advice on a public forum (specifics always matter). But you are always free to talk to your own lawyer and ask that question where your specifics can be evaluated and you can been given advice applicable for you.
Remember what happened to Apple when they implemented battery throttling without notifying consumers at the time of purchase? Class action. They've set aside millions for the litigation. Watch out TiVo.
Unlikely there'd be a class action as nearly all of us agreed to arbitration. And "us" isn't a very big number. Hoping they rethink this all.

Opt Out Of TiVo Arbitration

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).
So what are the monthly and/or lifetime fees paying for? Oh right to skip ads, and provide guide data. Its one ad today, two tomorrow, 20 mins of ads 3 years from now.

And you'll still be on their side. If I wanted ad's, I wouldn't have bought a TiVo.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Very likely the case. But the "feature" also tarnishes the brand and product. "Hey, Bob, you gonna buy a TiVO?" "Isn't that the one that forces you to watch ads to watch your shows? Nah." That's how sales and market share erode.
Yeah, I agree. I just think this shows, frankly, TiVo's desperation. I think that they know the path they're on isn't sustainable, especially on the retail side. The number of retail TiVo users slipped below 1 million several years ago. And I think TiVo knows it's inevitable that Comcast, and eventually other cable TV providers, will migrate most or all of their cable channels over from QAM to IPTV in the next few years. At that point, TCF will become somewhat of a ghost town, don't you think?

IMO, TiVo has no great options to pursue. Their original business model -- being a provider of premium DVR hardware and service to be used in conjunction with cable TV -- is pretty much exhausted. They know that they have to embrace streaming somehow, and incorporate ad revenue into their mix in order to bring down prices and bring in new types of users who don't care anything at all about DVRs.

In retrospect, I think we'll look back on fall 2019 as the turning point when TiVo began pivoting away from the traditional DVR to ad-supported streaming.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I feel there should just be an option in your account or on the Tivo itself to disable the ads.
I certainly do not know TiVo's plans, but I would be surprised if that was not to be part of the longer term approach ($x/mo for service, +$n/mo for service without ads) as the current monthly service charge certainly frightens away a segment of the potential user base (and while lifetime may pay for itself over time, lots of people don't know what their future is for that investment to be worthwhile), so getting the device in the home in order to show the user that a TiVo is valuable by reducing the base cost might make sense (and once you love it, you add in no ads?). If (and it is a big if) that is the plan, the monthly charges for service and ad-free service are going to be critical for success (and trying to guess how they would treat lifetime is a different barrel of yawn).

261 - 280 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.