TiVo Community Forum banner
241 - 260 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
As someone who just switched over from fios, the tivo experience isn't better than what fios offers now. Maybe I should try to watch all my recordings and downgrade to TE3 or something. (I've only seen TE4, never used TE3)

Autoskip is VERY VERY nice, but there are bad things about tivo that fios did better. I was ok with that prior to these ads, because tivo was good enough and I'd eventually save money on the box rentals.

But now that tivo is altering my recordings to stick their own commercials in, that tips the scale heavily in favor of fios.

And you mention dumping tivo for an alternative, thats kind of what pisses me off. I signed up just 2 months ago. I'm stuck now with an inferior dvr that I now feel I wouldn't have bought/paid too much for.

So now I'm going to stew, and hope that there is an opt out that becomes available. I kind of expect ebay values to stagnate or go down (who is going to spend $$ for a dvr that inserts ads?) . But in a month or so if the ads are still there I'll have to see how much its going to cost me to switch back.
How many outlets? I switched to TiVo with FiOS about 4 years ago but we have 6 TVs to drive. The monthly equipment fees from Verizon were so high, I broke even on 2 Roamio Pros and 4 minis, all with Lifetime service, in less than 18 months.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This is the 'quoted' section in the mentioned 'EDITORIAL' By who?

"We're dedicated to innovation that helps our customers stay in control of how, when, and what they watch. Advertising is an important part of every media business and TiVo is investing in new advertising experiences. We have designed our new DVR advertising units with the ability to 'skip' ads anytime a customer hits 'skip.' This is part of our ongoing commitment to bring our users the best media discovery experience possible."

The quoted text mentions 'our new DVR advertising units' and then in the EDITORIAL most if not all is just from other editorials. NO WHERE IS A TiVo EXECUTIVE mentioned by name. The devices in use now are 'speculative' - several including myself have been told the 'FEATURE' can be removed! FACT or FICTION? Who knows.

The TE3 mentioned in the EDITORIALS looks maybe to have come from maybe a source here on the TCF who heard it from someone! Again 'no first hand'

@NashGuy - I ain't harassing you It's my interpretation of the maybe 5 or 6 editorials floating around from the USUAL SOURCES.

I mentioned NOT being bothered by it YET and I'm NOT. My Bolt is still in the wrapper and I've asked for a 'return' because of the commentary that's out there. My CreditCard Financial Unit does very well for their consumer and after an exchange of conversation with TiVo I'd expect a favorable resolution with them. It appears that a 'NEW OUT OF BOX' Bolt w/TE4 would automatically get the 'feature'. That was never advertised! A quick conversation with a representative that anything involving ads requires likely an 'opt in'!

A couple days into this and there's been no visit from any 'known TiVo representatives' hints that they've heard ........ I would think there's internal conversation.

DVR advertising units Soon to be released or what? What is a DVR 'advertising unit'?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't feel 'trapped' at all. For all its warts I believe Tivo is still the best option out there for cable users. Auto ad skipping, great DVR, excellent video and audio. As to TE3 vs TE4, I prefer TE4 but have no problems with those that don't. And you can keep your Tivo gear, I have plenty of it now.

Now about that streaming and on demand. You mean the on demand that more often than not has no ad skipping? And in many cases no trick play of any sort.

I'm on Mediacom with a $198/month bill for 200/20 internet service and nearly all channels, including all the premiums. If I dropped the premiums and extra packs it would be about $150. Considering that the 200/20 service alone is $100, I'm getting a good deal. Could go all streaming and save a little while giving up a lot of things I like to watch.

If I were to go streaming and OTA, it would be with my Bolt for locals and AppleTV w/Sling among others. No need to buy yet another box to replace the Bolt. BTW, does the HDHomerun and apps allow for auto ad-skipping? I didn't see anything on that when I looked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
man stockholm syndrome sure is really with some TiVo fan boys.

people defending this, should ask themselves a simple question, what benefit, as a costumer of Tivo are getting for these ads?

And like someone else pointed out, I'm wondering how long until a network sues Tivo for replacing the network ads.

·
Registered
822 Posts
man stockholm syndrome sure is really with some TiVo fan boys.

people defending this, should ask themselves a simple question, what benefit, as a costumer of Tivo are getting for these ads?

And like someone else pointed out, I'm wondering how long until a network sues Tivo for replacing the network ads.
And some have reading comprehension issues, who knew?
Note I didn't say I liked it, just that I won't be dropping Tivo. Why would I want to drop a product that is fully paid for to pick up yet another lesser product? All over an irritating ad?

·
Registered
19 Posts
And some have reading comprehension issues, who knew?
Note I didn't say I liked it, just that I won't be dropping Tivo. Why would I want to drop a product that is fully paid for to pick up yet another lesser product? All over an irritating ad?

Maybe you should stop defending Tivo so much, so people aren't confused.

PS.

The point of paying Tivo was to skip ads. Now I'm paying them to see ads?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Maybe you should stop defending Tivo so much, so people aren't confused.

PS.

The point of paying Tivo was to skip ads. Now I'm paying them to see ads?
How do you read "I don't like it" to mean defending Tivo? And if you'll look at other posts I've made I don't think you'll find me a fan boy. I just like it better than the other solutions.

I'm not paying Tivo any more so it isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We're getting complaints about how some of you are reacting to this topic. Some are getting far too emotional & personal to to the point of not being able to have a conversation with others. Don't get your posting privileges revoked over something like this.
Yes, but you are looking at not only the end of TiVo, but also the TiVo Community I'll really miss it when its gone :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you read "I don't like it" to mean defending Tivo? And if you'll look at other posts I've made I don't think you'll find me a fan boy. I just like it better than the other solutions.

I'm not paying Tivo any more so it isn't an issue for me.

all/almost all of your posts on this topic seem to be making excuses for Tivo. Zero posts criticizing the move.

Did you pay Tivo to show you ad's? Was that part of the lifetime agreement as commonly understood? Was there some line saying 'We will add ad's to your product in the future?'

·
Registered
822 Posts
all/almost all of your posts on this topic seem to be making excuses for Tivo. Zero posts criticizing the move.

Did you pay Tivo to show you ad's? Was that part of the lifetime agreement as commonly understood? Was there some line saying 'We will add ad's to your product in the future?'
Do I need to jump up and stomp my feet? I said I don't like it and will find it irritating. I suppose I could have said that in ALL CAPS or something. But somehow I think unless I went full negative on Tivo, you wouldn't be satisfied.
I wonder which is more irritating, the ad they're gonna stick us with or your incessant *****ing about me not being irate? :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say that I will have to look at keeping the service really hard now.. however @tivo I would be fine in seeing ads if there is no monthly subscription or paying monthly for no ads.. I always wondered why they ever charged for monthly
At least in the US, guide data is a for fee service (it costs money to negotiate with the content providers to get the schedules, and aggregate it, etc.). So it always made some sense there would be a charge for that. And there are various licensing costs for some other tech in the box. However, the TiVo service change always exceeded what was that estimated cost (and unlike some others, they did not have ways to collect those fees via alternative mechanisms), so presumable was used for R&D and shareholder return.
as the money for them is definitely in the data profiles on what shows we watch, how long we watch them, apps we use and shows, videos and topics we view.. this is where the money is to the content providers and networks..
That is definitely what they are selling to their MSO customers (part of the TiVo Insight offering). However, for the consumer products, there has not been a way to monetize that data.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Did it? I haven't used it for quite some time. News to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm quite sure and I thought an 'alternative' for me on my 1080P displays would be to use a 4Tuner Elite and a A9300 Mini if 'preplay-ads' got pushed to Roamio w/TE3. I'm content just to wait. I and others have been told different than what's mentioned in all of the 'editorial' pieces. Who knows - I'm sure it will get interesting. He!! TiVo might just figure the 'editorials' have done their 'nasties' and if the flack seems worth it - just leave it as is regardless whether it was the plan or NOT!!!!!

The router tweaks look interesting but that seems like quite a management effort - if it would even work.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).

·
Registered
721 Posts
They're coming, obviously, why wouldn't broadcast networks sue. But wouldn't it be great for Rovi/TiVo if they do??

They want to sell adso_Oo_Oo_O

They could sell us out and blame it on the Court rulings, thinking we are too stupid to realize that this is what they planned all along. Oh, I hope not.

·
Registered
822 Posts
They're coming, obviously, why wouldn't broadcast networks sue. But wouldn't it be great for Rovi/TiVo if the would?

They could sell us out and blame it on the Court rulings, thinking we are too stupid to realize that this is what they planned all along. Oh, I hope not.
I'm not sure they are coming. The suits that the networks did with Dish were because of the contracts Dish had with them. Tivo has no such contracts as they have no business relationship with them.
But who knows, when lawyers get involved they will argue black is white with not even a nod to how ridiculous it might be.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).
Please, Charlie, it's what these companies like Rovi do. Eat the animal. Bleed it dry. Then their investors move like the predictors they are to the next victims.

241 - 260 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.