TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not just rural areas, I'm in the 4th largest city and 2nd largest metro area and all I can get is 3Mb Windstream DSL or Data capped 300Mb Cox. I actually only pay for the $80 150Mb tier.
Mediacom has data caps that vary depending on speed you sub to.
100/10 = 1TB
200/20 = 2TB

I'm on the 200 because I was going over 1TB a fair amount of time. Cost differential is about $10/bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
YOU'VE READ!!!!!! - AGAIN - YOU're stressing the 'brain' STOP IT

I'll wait for some 'first hand' responses!!! The mentions of 'HERE TO STAY - NO ALTERNATIVE' seem to all be from so called sources via another guy who told my cousin who told her sister but swears it to be correct because she heard it on the Internet!!!
Verizon Fios is Raising Its DVR & Set-Top Box Fees to $24 Per Box - Cord Cutters News

Also, if you keep up your behavior, I will report you to the forum moderators for harassment.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I fear the market is about to be flooded with used TiVo gear :-(
Well, sure, if you watch it directly, but you can also use a DVR and do whatever you want. Channels lists most of the streaming providers including YouTube TV (which seems to have the largest channel list, last I checked)

Around here GB fiber is $50-$80 depending on provider and I already not getting my internet from Comcast - so Comcast bill is insane and the only reason I keep them is because of cablecard TiVo which is a brick without Comcast :-(

Fair question. Having not yet tried them yet, so I had to Google it. Channels DVR does full AutoSkip, similar to TiVo, but Plex DVR does one better by removing the ads completely from the stored file after recording, so no need to skip anything. Channels also will work with Comcast over the internet without a need for a set top box of any sort- which means I can try this out now, to hedge in hope that TiVo comes to their senses before it's too late (not holding my breath)...:)
I've been twiddling with streaming/OTA this month. Subbed to Sling Blue+DVR. Trick play with DVR was hit or miss, some programs you could, others you couldn't.

Looking forward to see what you find on ad skipping with Channels.

For me I'll stick with Tivo until something more unified comes along for streaming/OTA. Apple's TV app is a step in the right direction, just need to bring more streaming services into the fold.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I too dislike the concept and perhaps reality of the "pre-roll" ads. But I have to say I'm more amused by the bizarre behavior here of so many with all the anger of the world showing up. Cripes, TiVo saves you 20 minutes an hour of viewing time with the ability to skip or even auto-skip commercials. Commercials pay for a good part of your "free" entertainment. TiVo also still allows you to watch TV on your time/terms. I agree, I don't want that 20 second ad, but if it helps support the company that allows me to watch TV on my time/terms I'll bite. I am not about to blow my own gasket over this. I'll protest, I'll email, but I won't start screaming that I'm dumping TiVo for an alternative, when in reality, no better alternative has shown up over 20 years.

Don't you people understand how much TV production costs? Someone has to pay for those show to be produced, and you're the ones watching them. Someone has to pay for hardware and software to be developed to allow TiVo or other DVRs to function, and you're the ones using them.

I'll just sit here and watch the heads of some of you folks explode.
Yea, you go sit back and pull the the sheet over your head. Because it worked so well for your generation

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I've been twiddling with streaming/OTA this month. Subbed to Sling Blue+DVR. Trick play with DVR was hit or miss, some programs you could, others you couldn't.

Looking forward to see what you find on ad skipping with Channels.

For me I'll stick with Tivo until something more unified comes along for streaming/OTA. Apple's TV app is a step in the right direction, just need to bring more streaming services into the fold.
If you want to stick with Sling TV for streaming cable channels, and combine that with free OTA TV, the most unified solution would be the new AirTV Mini for your TV streaming device, with an AirTV black box network tuner to bring in your OTA. You would connect your OTA antenna and a USB hard drive to the tuner and then you'd have streaming and OTA live channels, with cloud and local DVR, all integrated into the same native UI of the AirTV Mini. [EDIT: But be aware that they're due to roll out an updated version of the AirTV tuner any time now.]

Actually, you wouldn't even need the AirTV Mini, necessarily. You could instead use the Sling app on other streaming devices. The AirTV Mini is a customized Google Android TV streamer with Sling taking over the home-screen UI. And the remote control is custom-built for Sling.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Well here is what I think. Almost any corporation will do anything they can to get more money. Especially if they have a product where there is not a good alternative. Tivo no different. As for ads, you know Tivo has a generous return/replacement policy for boxes that go "bad". Wondered why they do it, have to be losing a lot on hardware/shipping. So I am thinking they must make a lot, even the majority of profit on the ads and selling your history?..........................

Supposedly they will be eliminating roll backs to TE3 soon. And the new Edge will not be able to use TE3 at all. All this going on including these pre-roll ads, going to cause a LOT of problems with current subscribers. But long run anyone buying a Tivo for the first time will know nothing different. All they will know is TE4 and these new ads. So in the long run that is what we can expect I guess, whatever makes Tivo the most money. Perhaps they do have a way to shut down these ads for current subscribers, the 72 hour thing. But I think in the long run it will be here to stay as all new customers will know nothing different. Goodbye to DVRs as we know them, the cable card thing and possibly ATSC 3 bad enough, now ADS before playing a recording............................

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last straw.

I switched to @getchannels and @HDHomeRun_US because of this. It's a much better experience. Simple UI, better remote viewing experience, fast apps (I use Apple TV), and keeps the parts of DVR I love. TiVo stopped being a better experience many years ago but I refused to notice. Channels rocks!

So sad to leave but also relieved to know my thought that there was no viable options for me was not true.
Do they have 30-second skip and something similar to OnePass? If so, I have to give this alternative a serious look. I don't care about auto-skip. Shoot me a link or PM me with it to any good forums and optimal setups if you don't mind. I'm totally down with throwing in a NAS and two 6-tuner HDHomeruns. I've got Apple TVs, Rokus, smart TVs all over the house. If I can program a Logitech remote to control things similar to the Tivo peanut, I'm good there too.

I've had enough of this **** with this company. Weather-boy clearly thinks the best way to drive up the valuation for the product business to sell it off is to create an advertising and data mining platform.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
We're getting complaints about how some of you are reacting to this topic. Some are getting far too emotional & personal to to the point of not being able to have a conversation with others. Don't get your posting privileges revoked over something like this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do they have 30-second skip and something similar to OnePass? If so, I have to give this alternative a serious look. I don't care about auto-skip. Shoot me a link or PM me with it to any good forums and optimal setups if you don't mind. I'm totally down with throwing in a NAS and two 6-tuner HDHomeruns. I've got Apple TVs, Rokus, smart TVs all over the house. If I can program a Logitech remote to control things similar to the Tivo peanut, I'm good there too.

I've had enough of this **** with this company. Weather-boy clearly thinks the best way to drive up the valuation for the product business to sell it off is to create an advertising and data mining platform.
Channels has 30 second skip (and 7 second skip back) and has recording passes (I haven't tried wishlist type recordings yet).

The best place to find out is at their website getchannels.com - they have an active community forum there with interaction with the developers from the company.

As for two 6-tuner HDHomeruns, unfortunately the 6 tuner model hasn't been released yet - and is in serious question of being permanent vaporware in my mind. It was announced in January 2018 and has continued to slip.

Older 3 tuner HDHomeruns for cablecard are only available used, but there are 2 or 4 tuner OTA boxes available and they work well from what I can tell.

For me, I decided that with the support for TVEverywhere and tuner sharing - where if multiple devices are watching the same thing it only takes up one tuner, I can make do with one 3-tuner cablecard box. If necessary, I might supplement with a dual tuner OTA box as well.

I'm using my Logitech harmony with the AppleTV client and it works well so far.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too dislike the concept and perhaps reality of the "pre-roll" ads. But I have to say I'm more amused by the bizarre behavior here of so many with all the anger of the world showing up. Cripes, TiVo saves you 20 minutes an hour of viewing time with the ability to skip or even auto-skip commercials. Commercials pay for a good part of your "free" entertainment. TiVo also still allows you to watch TV on your time/terms. I agree, I don't want that 20 second ad, but if it helps support the company that allows me to watch TV on my time/terms I'll bite. I am not about to blow my own gasket over this. I'll protest, I'll email, but I won't start screaming that I'm dumping TiVo for an alternative, when in reality, no better alternative has shown up over 20 years.

Don't you people understand how much TV production costs? Someone has to pay for those show to be produced, and you're the ones watching them. Someone has to pay for hardware and software to be developed to allow TiVo or other DVRs to function, and you're the ones using them.

I'll just sit here and watch the heads of some of you folks explode.
Here's the thing. Tivo doesn't pay for the production, and nowhere does it say that Tivo will send this money to the networks, who DO pay for the production.

We have been told that our $15 per month or $600 for lifetime fee is what pays for the Tivo "service". Bandwidth costs to deliver the data have gone down (substantially) and they now own the company providing the guide data, so they should be getting a good "deal" on that now too. As for the cost of software, they haven't updated it THAT much in a year-over-year basis, but I agree, that costs money. Again, that's what I am paying for.

If my cable company can cover the cost of the hardware AND software for $10 a month, why can't Tivo at least cover the cost of software for $15?

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
I'll SCREAM 'HARASSMENT' ALSO'!!!!! I really try to 'ignore' you but then you're with the I read or I think. I believe I've pretty much stuck to 'fact & first hand' experience. I'm sorry you can't/don't see the intended 'HUMOR/SARCASM'
Just use the Ignore feature. It's better for your blood pressure and we will all thank you for your courtesy.

Your Account > People You Ignore

·
Registered
721 Posts
might as well be proactive about it so it doesn't look, well, kinda sneaky and callous.
Well, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, it's not a squirrel :) If it looks sneaky and callous, yea, it's sneaky and callous. It says to their loyal base of customers, here's some mud in your eyes to go with our shoveling ads down your dumb throats because your so stupid, you'll swallow anything. This behavior is unacceptable and needs to be sent strong messages that says, not in my home, not on my family's TiVo your not. This is the kind of behavior that is unacceptable and Tivo must be severely financially punished for it. The Courts should kill the company because stupidity, their continued stupidity cannot repeatedly be rewarded.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say that I will have to look at keeping the service really hard now.. however @tivo I would be fine in seeing ads if there is no monthly subscription or paying monthly for no ads.. I always wondered why they ever charged for monthly as the money for them is definitely in the data profiles on what shows we watch, how long we watch them, apps we use and shows, videos and topics we view.. this is where the money is to the content providers and networks..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you want to stick with Sling TV for streaming cable channels, and combine that with free OTA TV, the most unified solution would be the new AirTV Mini for your TV streaming device, with an AirTV black box network tuner to bring in your OTA. You would connect your OTA antenna and a USB hard drive to the tuner and then you'd have streaming and OTA live channels, with cloud and local DVR, all integrated into the same native UI of the AirTV Mini. [EDIT: But be aware that they're due to roll out an updated version of the AirTV tuner any time now.]

Actually, you wouldn't even need the AirTV Mini, necessarily. You could instead use the Sling app on other streaming devices. The AirTV Mini is a customized Google Android TV streamer with Sling taking over the home-screen UI. And the remote control is custom-built for Sling.
Thanks for the suggestions. With my indoor antenna I can get ABC, Fox and their subchannels. With Sling Blue I get NBC on demand and I sub to CBS All Access. Given that I could use my Bolt for the locals it can get OTA and AppleTV for everything else.

That said, the difference between streaming/OTA and my current cable bill isn't enough to want to lose the convenience that cable brings to the table. In the future when the 'deal' I'm on expires and it goes full retail, I'll make some changes. Most likely not including new boxes.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Channels app. Use it with an HDHomeRun OTA tuner for live TV on my Apple TV 4K. I don't subscribe to their DVR service but it looks very nice.

But I wonder about this new feature that they recently rolled out that lets you locally record streaming content from cable channels' TV Everywhere apps/websites using your cable provider log-in credentials. Is there a simple way for those cable channels to block that practice? It's not like Channels DVR has a ton of users, so maybe they're flying below the radar and the cable networks don't even know about it. Or if they do know, they don't care since it's being used by so few folks.

That said, Channels doesn't sell lifetime subscriptions to their DVR service, so if that feature got removed at some point, it's not like you're locked in.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Lead para:

So much for it being an early, experimental test. TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan. "DVR advertising is going to be a permanent part of the service," a company spokesperson flatly told Light Reading. "We expect to be fully rolled out to all eligible retail devices within 90 days."

221 - 240 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.