TiVo Community Forum banner
201 - 220 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
This could be exactly what I've been looking for. If I understand it correctly, I should be able to integrate OTA with streaming channels, actually record the streams, and skip ads on all channels. I'll wait to see exactly what "TiVo Plus" offers, but, it needs to be more or less this.

I don't suppose Channels DVR supports anything like Wishlists?

Plus $25 for the app, plus you need to have a supported device for each TV. The supported device list doesn't (yet?) include Roku, which would be helpful in my situation, but I can work around that.
no, the apps on the streamers are free if you pay for the DVR. It's $25 per device if you dont have a DVR sub. They tried with roku but couldn't do it because roku apparently doesn't support the way the mpeg streams come from the HDHomerun. It wasn't stable or something like that. It's on their forums.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is INSANE. I'll be calling to complain, and if they don't offer a solution, then I'll just switch to an Xfinity DVR or switch providers altogether. I've had TiVo for years, but this truly is a dealbreaker. If they stop allowing downgrades to TE3, that's also a dealbreaker. The sad thing is, they have no one to blame but themselves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This could be exactly what I've been looking for. If I understand it correctly, I should be able to integrate OTA with streaming channels, actually record the streams, and skip ads on all channels. I'll wait to see exactly what "TiVo Plus" offers, but, it needs to be more or less this.

Plus $25 for the app, plus you need to have a supported device for each TV. The supported device list doesn't (yet?) include Roku, which would be helpful in my situation, but I can work around that.
I haven't seen anything like wishlists yet, but I haven't gone digging very deep.

As for the price of the app... if you are paying for the DVR service, they have a free version of the app instead of needing to pay $25 for it.

As for me, I just put a bid in for an HDHomerun Prime on eBay. The one thing that my previous analysis didn't take into account was NBC Sports Net... not sure if I can get that through TVEverywhere and if I can get the locals via cablecard, the combination of the two features is enough for me to keep the Cablecard rental from Verizon.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nope. Well we do have Frontier DSL with a ripping 3Mbps or Wisper with 25Mbps. Wisper is the same $100 and a bit more weather affected. Frontier claims that 3Mbps offering, but in the subdivision I'm in the reality is 1Mbps.

It's the travails of living in rural America! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Not just rural areas, I'm in the 4th largest city and 2nd largest metro area and all I can get is 3Mb Windstream DSL or Data capped 300Mb Cox. I actually only pay for the $80 150Mb tier.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
The silence from TiVo_Ted is deafening.

Can you say "duck and cover"?;)

FWIW, I am on TE3 and intend to stay there indefinitely or until forced to change. When/if these ads are foisted on me, I will be very displeased--but not enough to junk my Roamio Pro and Mini. HOWEVER, I imagine that will be the last of my TiVo purchases of any kind. Leave it to Rovi management to make Comcast's newest device lineup look more and more attractive. There will always be trade-offs, but I guess cloud DVR is in my future.:(

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Note I did say I wasn't thrilled with it. But feel free to offer something better. If there is something better I haven't found it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I understand, but for me I won't pay them to give me ads and I would use a lesser service not to be screwed over. I'm on TE3 still so I have hope their will be no ads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I understand, but for me I won't pay them to give me ads and I would use a lesser service not to be screwed over. I'm on TE3 still so I have hope their will be no ads.
Exactly! I bet they're going to introduce a new tiered subscription similar to Hulu; a cheaper option with ads, and a more expensive option without ads. Either way, if they force me to upgrade to TE4 or stop allowing downgrades, I'm out.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Can you say "duck and cover"?;)

FWIW, I am on TE3 and intend to stay there indefinitely or until forced to change. When/if these ads are foisted on me, I will be very displeased--but not enough to junk my Roamio Pro and Mini. HOWEVER, I imagine that will be the last of my TiVo purchases of any kind. Leave it to Rovi management to make Comcast's newest device lineup look more and more attractive. There will always be trade-offs, but I guess cloud DVR is in my future.:(
He hasn't been online for almost 2 weeks here.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wonder if doing this gives networks a new avenue to sue Tivo for autoskip functionality? It is one thing for them to give people ways to skip ads, it is quite another to give people ways to skip ads and then introduce OTHER ads.
Yeah, whether there's a legal avenue or not, it's certainly not going to make TiVo any friends with the content providers. That kills whatever slim chance they would've ever written an app for TiVo's platform. And not only are they cutting ads now, they're substituting their own in place? Ethically, that's like painting over somebody's sign on the highway to bring them to your restaurant instead. No. Just no.

Don't buy the standalone apps! If you use the DVR (30 day free trial & $8/mo after) all the apps are free. Use the "ChannelsDVR" editions.

He's not the CEO. I don't think this is really his department and he really only shows up when he's got news about something he's working on and has gotten permission to share. While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
He hasn't been online for almost 2 weeks here.
Yes, I know (I had checked), and I don't think that's particularly unusual especially with the time commitment to CES and its follow-up.

But now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party, as I used to practice over and over in high school typing class. (Does that date me, or what?;))

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
He's not the CEO. I don't think this is really his department and he really only shows up when he's got news about something he's working on and has gotten permission to share. While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.
You are never going to hear from the CEO on this forum. Rather, it is in the domain of the customer-oriented execs to answer the mail, as Margret and Ted have done here in the past.

·
Just me.
532 Posts
and you can keep your Tivo gear, I have plenty of it now.
I fear the market is about to be flooded with used TiVo gear :-(

Now about that streaming and on demand. You mean the on demand that more often than not has no ad skipping? And in many cases no trick play of any sort.
Well, sure, if you watch it directly, but you can also use a DVR and do whatever you want. Channels lists most of the streaming providers including YouTube TV (which seems to have the largest channel list, last I checked)

I'm on Mediacom with a $198/month bill for 200/20 internet service and nearly all channels, including all the premiums. If I dropped the premiums and extra packs it would be about $150. Considering that the 200/20 service alone is $100, I'm getting a good deal. Could go all streaming and save a little while giving up a lot of things I like to watch.
Around here GB fiber is $50-$80 depending on provider and I already not getting my internet from Comcast - so Comcast bill is insane and the only reason I keep them is because of cablecard TiVo which is a brick without Comcast :-(

If I were to go streaming and OTA, it would be with my Bolt for locals and AppleTV w/Sling among others. No need to buy yet another box to replace the Bolt. BTW, does the HDHomerun and apps allow for auto ad-skipping? I didn't see anything on that when I looked.
Fair question. Having not yet tried them yet, so I had to Google it. Channels DVR does full AutoSkip, similar to TiVo, but Plex DVR does one better by removing the ads completely from the stored file after recording, so no need to skip anything. Channels also will work with Comcast over the internet without a need for a set top box of any sort- which means I can try this out now, to hedge in hope that TiVo comes to their senses before it's too late (not holding my breath)...:)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
As someone who just switched over from fios, the tivo experience isn't better than what fios offers now. Maybe I should try to watch all my recordings and downgrade to TE3 or something. (I've only seen TE4, never used TE3)

Autoskip is VERY VERY nice, but there are bad things about tivo that fios did better. I was ok with that prior to these ads, because tivo was good enough and I'd eventually save money on the box rentals.

But now that tivo is altering my recordings to stick their own commercials in, that tips the scale heavily in favor of fios.

And you mention dumping tivo for an alternative, thats kind of what pisses me off. I signed up just 2 months ago. I'm stuck now with an inferior dvr that I now feel I wouldn't have bought/paid too much for.

So now I'm going to stew, and hope that there is an opt out that becomes available. I kind of expect ebay values to stagnate or go down (who is going to spend $$ for a dvr that inserts ads?) . But in a month or so if the ads are still there I'll have to see how much its going to cost me to switch back.
I've read that Verizon FiOS recently increased the price for their DVR service and/or equipment rental.

And while you're trying to weigh your options, be aware that Verizon now sells YouTube TV, letting you pay through your Verizon bill. Earlier this summer, they were giving new FiOS internet subscribers one free month of YouTube TV to start rather than the standard 1-week free trial. Also, Verizon has submitted to the FCC a new streaming device called "Stream TV". The speculation is that it will run a version of Google Android TV with a UI and remote control that are customized specifically for YouTube TV. Then Verizon will have their own custom hardware to give to their YouTube TV subscribers, making it easier for traditional cable TV subscribers to switch over to streaming cable TV.

Sure Looks Like Verizon has a Streaming TV Box on the Way

YouTube TV (and all the streaming cable TV services, really) have their own set of trade-offs versus using traditional cable TV with a TiVo. But with TiVo now streaming ads to their users, it might tip the scales in favor of another option...

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
What a misstep.

I've been a ticket user continuously since 2000ish. I currently have a roamio and mini. I'd already thought these might be my last since the majority of what we watch is streaming but this will likely cinch it.
That's a very funny autocorrect error. Especially now that so many users here are ready to "punch" their TiVo.:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Exactly! I bet they're going to introduce a new tiered subscription similar to Hulu; a cheaper option with ads, and a more expensive option without ads. Either way, if they force me to upgrade to TE4 or stop allowing downgrades, I'm out.
Willl be rolled out to all even lifetime subs but hopefully only on TE4.

TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I fear the market is about to be flooded with used TiVo gear :-(
There will be some folks who sell their TiVo over this but I really do think that the TiVo users who post on this forum are probably more pissed off about the pre-roll video ad than is the average TiVo user. Not that I'm defending what TiVo is doing here. Especially for DVRs with paid lifetime service, they should never implement this program in the first place, even if it can be removed after making a phone call.

If you want to talk about when eBay will be flooded with used TiVos, that'll be if/when a significant number of Comcast cable channels are no longer compatible with CableCARD...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've read that Verizon FiOS recently increased the price for their DVR service and/or equipment rental.

And while you're trying to weigh your options, be aware that Verizon now sells YouTube TV, letting you pay through your Verizon bill. Earlier this summer, they were giving new FiOS internet subscribers one free month of YouTube TV to start rather than the standard 1-week free trial. Also, Verizon has submitted to the FCC a new streaming device called "Stream TV". The speculation is that it will run a version of Google Android TV with a UI and remote control that are customized specifically for YouTube TV. Then Verizon will have their own custom hardware to give to their YouTube TV subscribers, making it easier for traditional cable TV subscribers to switch over to streaming cable TV.

Sure Looks Like Verizon has a Streaming TV Box on the Way

YouTube TV (and all the streaming cable TV services, really) have their own set of trade-offs versus using traditional cable TV with a TiVo. But with TiVo now streaming ads to their users, it might tip the scales in favor of another option...
YOU'VE READ!!!!!! - AGAIN - YOU're stressing the 'brain' STOP IT

I'll wait for some 'first hand' responses!!! The mentions of 'HERE TO STAY - NO ALTERNATIVE' seem to all be from so called sources via another guy who told my cousin who told her sister but swears it to be correct because she heard it on the Internet!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

I've had Channels DVR for over a month now. It's certainly worth a look with their free 30-day trial. You can integrate multiple providers with Channels DVR. I have OTA & Xfinity support set up right now. I'm still using my Tivos on TE3 while I evaluate Channels DVR. I get 120 channels from Xfinity, no locals or premium channels. OTA for locals via HDHomerun Quatro. Channels DVR picks up channels that are available through TV Everywhere support. It does not require cablecard. See thestreamable.com/tv-everywhere-apps for TV Everywhere channels with various streaming providers. Cable provider support for TV Everywhere varies.

Channels DVR records the streams to your server of which they support a wide variety of platforms and the recorded programs are available to edit. It has an option to run Comskip on recorded programs to allow automatic commercial skipping. Channels supports Advanced Passes that allow you to specify some keyword matches. Not as elegant as Tivo wishlists, but seems to work well enough for my wishlists.

Channels DVR UI is not as polished as Tivo (TE3), but the development team is active in their forums. If you're data cap limited, recorded shows will count towards your data cap. Even with the extensive recording I'm doing, I am not close to hitting my 1TB cap. I'm running 1-5-2.0 GB/hour for recorded show.

On topic: If the pre-roll ads hit my TE3 Tivos, it's a dealbreaker for me as I'm already looking for a viable option to dump Xfinity that allows me access to recordings for archival purposes.

201 - 220 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.