TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Question
10,700 Posts
Interesting that you said the Tivo Edge does not support TE3. (...) It's not like newer faster hardware can't support an older OS, so this restriction must be built into the interface.
No, it can also be a QA issue. It's much simpler to test/debug if the Edge hardware is only running one version of the software.

The point here is to *FORCE* users into the new paradigm of pre-ads, which is revenue for Tivo.
Well, seeing as how this thread is filled with people opting-out of the ads, then it's difficult for me to assume that requiring TE4 on the Edge is to support the ads...

·
The Question
10,700 Posts
(...) so my question is does anyone have a sense as to whether getting lifetime will make it more likely that I will get these ads removed, once they finally hit my account? If it is more likely that I can get these ads removed with lifetime, that would make my choice easier.
As far as I can tell, everyone who has requested for the ads to be removed --- whether they're on lifetime or month-to-month --- have had their requests honored.

If they were going to treat people with lifetime differently in the future, it seems to be the consensus of this thread that having lifetime would make it less likely that they would remove ads (since they already have your money and therefore don't need to listen to you)

·
The Question
10,700 Posts
I think the only practical way for them to do it is for the individual TiVo know that it's supposed to show an ad. Then when you try to play a recording, it right then goes out to the Internet and plays it. The "cleanup process" is to push an update to your TiVo to tell it to stop going out to the Internet for the ads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.