TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
I have and will stay on TE3 until Tivo forces it off of my Roamio box so if these ads never hit my box you won't hear me complaining that I'm missing out on this new "feature". I do find it a bit off that one of their biggest selling points is ad skipping and yet here we are with them placing ads into an ad skipping box. I know everyone has been saying the ads are skippable but I'll guess that they won't stay that way and will eventually be forced just like those on Youtube(on a Roku for example). This is the kind of nonsense I would expect from Comcast but not Tivo but here we are.

I just wonder, as others have mentioned, how long before ads turn up elsewhere because if they can make money forcing an ad in one spot they'll see the $$$ and try for even more. Everyone should know that if they can get away with one they'll go for two, etc. I can't imagine them thinking "well, we're making a bit more now with the one and only ad, let's call it a day". Soon enough we'll be watching ads before we can set One Passes or even visiting the Now Playing list if they see a profit can be made and people accept it because it helps Tivo. How much will those who support this new ad format because it helps tolerate before it's too much?

As far as pi-hole I have mine running through it now so for a TE3 box here are my recorded hits over the last 24hrs:

h1.tivoservice.com
i.tivo.com
mm1.tivoservice.com
mm1.tivoservice.com.localdomain
tivo-0.vo.llnwd.net
www.tivo.com

Tivo. TV yOUR way.

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
So as a hypothetical, if you have a household with 4 people in it and you watch 25 recorded shows a day between them all, Tivo could be feeding in 750 ads a month to said household? Does that sound reasonable to people? How much data/bandwidth would that use? How horrible will this experience be if you're having a bad server day? I have days where my Tivo takes a good minute or more to just open a recordings folder(hey look, it's that blue spinning circle we all love so much) so I can start a show(and then be greeted with another spinning circle after pressing play) when the Tivo server is out to lunch.

My other issue with this whole thing is that sure, ads are skippable for now(with a chance of a DVR reboot according to some) but how long before that changes? If everyone skips the ad how does anyone make any money since that's been the argument for years now. If we skip ads everyone suffers. Isn't that what they say? How long before forced ads become a thing? Also, how long before the ads turn up in other areas? I know I'm in a minority but I have only ever used my Tivos for one single thing and that is to record shows. The streaming on the boxes stink compared to a dedicated streaming box like a Roku so I don't care about any of that. I only want to record shows and watch them when I have time. If I were to start seeing ads everywhere(and the lag that sometimes comes with the Tivo servers) on my Tivo when I want to use it I might as well just go strictly X1 DVR since Tivo is losing more(they already lost on having solid guide data years ago) of what made them a premium product to me. I'm sorry but this is not the Tivo Experience I'm looking for.

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
They started advertising that add on package but you have to break existing contracts to get it. IE its more expensive than the $50 a month unlimited data rate it replaces. Comcast will not let you add the package to an existing 'discounted' rate plan. IE I currently pay 99 a month for Gigabit plus 13 for the modem on a 2 yr contract. Unl data is an additional 50 for a total of 162. The new add on requires taking gigabit and the current full tilt rate of 160 and add the $25 package for 185 a month....not such a great deal. Comcast seldom does anything for less money.
I may be an exception here but I just did this a few months back while still in a current discounted contract. I was paying $25.00/month for unlimited data under a promotion which was about to jump to $50.00/month because that part of my contract in the larger bundled deal was about to expire. I added/switched over to the xFi Advantage which ended up dropping off the $25.00/50.00 a month unlimited along with the original $13.00 gateway fee. Instead it changed to a total of $15.00 for the gateway and unlimited data saving me over $35.00/month in the end. Nothing about my current plan/promotion was adjusted other than that.

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
It won't end until all life as we know it is just one giant ad. I'm personally looking forward to the day we all have personal TV watching assistants who make sure we watch the ads we're supposed to. It's going to be wonderful.

And when people in the future try to learn how it got so bad they'll be shocked to see that it all started because "dude, if it helps Tivo I'm cool with it". ;)

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
Is there a phone number I can call to have all the lawsuit talk removed from my account because those posts are completely ruining my Tivo Community Experience.

Seriously though, not to be a turd in the punch bowl but could that be split off into another thread and leave this one just for the meltdown/approval of ads?

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
Ya know all this "I paid Tivo to be commercial free" . Really? We've had SKIP mode for less than a year. What did you do before that?? You pressed a button to skip commercials. Here's the kicker- those of you rolling back to not see pre rolls are doing up to 12 button pushes during breaks. You are trading skip mode for roughly 40 extra button pushes AN HOUR to skip commercials. I don't get it.
I'm confused on this one. Skip Mode is on my TE3 box so I only use maybe 4 or 5 button pushes an hour, or maybe I should say per hour program to be more precise. If it's a channel that doesn't have Skip aren't we all(both TE3 and TE4 users) hitting around the same amount of button presses or does TE4 have more than 3 FF speeds?

Reactions: Noelmel and Mikeguy

·
Tivo Junkie
400 Posts
I just can't wrap my head around the "bring on the ads, we welcome our new Tivo ad generating god!!" logic that some people have. If it was Comcast who did this stupid idea everyone would be grabbing their pitchforks but because it's Tivo it's fine and dandy. It makes no sense at all unless they're just trolling for amusement.

1 - 7 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.