TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 91 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
Nice discovery! But unfortunate!

I did mention the other day pre-rolls have been tested but not clear how and when they'd be utilized. I imagine this would be more a MSO solution or a subsidized retail offering, rather than something we'll see on existing hardware/service.

May I publish the video? Any pics of ads in guide? Thanks!
I just tweeted Zatz's article to TiVo support on Twitter. Will see if they respond.
Zatz article...

TiVo Sullies DVR Recordings with Video Ads

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
Does anyone else make a CableCARD DVR? Does Silicone Dust still make one?
Windows Media Center still hobbles along for some; otherwise, I believe that SD's DVR software does support their CableCARD network tuner *aside* from protected content.* (No clue if it supports SDV and the associated Tuning Adapter technology, though I'd think they would need to.)

* DRM protected Cable TV channels in the USA are available to be viewed Live via Windows 10, Android and Apple iOS devices. Record, playback and other platforms coming soon. (link)​

edit: Quick check of SD's website highlights a new(?) product of which I was unaware... the SERVIO, their physical DVR offering. Zats review article here.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
I have a Roamio OTA with TE4 and have not seen any ads yet either.
So is it only people with a Bolt that are seeing the ads? Maybe that's one reason Tivo had that big trade-in deal recently.
Heh, I was wondering if older boxes won't see the ads if TiVo found them too unresponsive, causing more instability. Have there been any reports of the ads displaying on any Minis, v1/v2 or VOX?

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
That is certainly an issue. Tivo is not in any kind of good shape going forward. People are dropping cable to go to streaming and Tivo has no solution for them. And even if the Tivo boxes could get the apps to make them a better streamer, the price is too high for any of them.

For example, you could get a Roku for $40 or so, add the HD Homerun for about $75 and have all the streaming and OTA you could stand. Using other streaming boxes ranges from that $40 to about $200.
Meh, I don't really agree with this as a blanket assessment, since needs differ person-to-person, aside from TiVo not really being a "streamer," even if it can satisfy that need for basic users.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
I have a Roamio Plus lifetime and 6 minis. I bought into Tivo in 2015 to avoid the onerous TWC rental fees. I just checked the Spectrum website and to replicate what I have now would be approx $80 per month in just rental/dvr fees. $960 per year. Commercial skip is just gravy, and auto commercial skip is gravy on gravy.
Given your reasonable response you seem to have missed the point of this thread. Surely this is an existential threat to your way of life, yes?

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
I’ll have to experience of few of these ads to decide how I feel about them, but were I someone who’d freshly adopted the TiVo platform owing to the AutoSkip feature I wouldn’t have to wait.

Besides, if AutoSkip is enabled, shouldn’t the pre-roll ads be skipped, as well? Treating their own ads differently as it relates to AutoSkip than those in the broadcasts would seem problematic.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
As to TE3 their is no confirmation nor hint from Tivo it will have it. Read the articles, it's the authors opinion only.

I bet it will not. More likely you would get a forced upgrade instead.
There haven't been any reports (at least that I've seen) that the ads are appearing on Roamios running TE4, which, when combined with the CEDIA comment that BOLTs may lose the ability to rollback to TE3, makes me wonder if the ads will be limited to BOLT, EDGE and Mini VOX boxes.

1 - 19 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.