TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just called support to return my new Bolt. They told me they have a way to prevent ads from showing on my box forever and it will take 72 hours to implement it. Got a case number.
Success! 72 hours later I tried and was still getting pre-roll ads on my Bolt (but not on the mini). Called support with my existing case number. They had me unplug and replug and then force an update. The update took a long time to load (probably 10-15 minutes), but once done, I am no longer seeing ads (or blue ring). Program loads immediately without delay. Running 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some initial thoughts after getting rid of the pre-roll. My initial Hydra experience was only last month after using Tivo's since 2002. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I was generally fine with the experience. In fact, my original mini seemed more responsive on the new UI. I did not realize I was seeing pre-rolls on the Bolt for the past couple of weeks. Just assumed mass advertising from some sponsors. "If you see something, say something", "DignityHealth" and local Subaru dealer. Around the same time, I started seeing the blue circle MUCH more frequently. I don't think I saw it at all the first few weeks. Now that my box has been reverted to its original condition, my opinion is that there is a noticeable difference in speed/response. I was immediately struck by how quickly programs loaded compared to most recent use. YMMV based on your personal UI experience.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For those getting the pre-roll ads, has the transition into and back from the pre-roll been smoothed out into a more seamless system? The original video of the pre-roll seemed a bit, er, clunky. ;)

(I realize that it's only been around a week since pre-roll came out, affording TiVo's engineers little time to work on this, if that's even an intent of the company.)
Absolutely. I moved a Premiere Lifetime to a new Bolt during the last sale. Had several weeks of use prior to pre-rolls. Blue circle delays galore when it hit. Removing them fixed everything. Just an awful implementation of a bad idea. I would expect that anybody calling in to complain when they eventually are afflicted will be allowed to opt out. It sounds like they are doing this on an account level, not box related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.