TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Um... Amazon already does this with their streamed content. Pretty trivial for them to add it to the Recast as well.

The ads that Amazon inserts are usually 20 second promos of other Prime shows, which I actually don't mind. Also the Recast is only a fraction of the cost of a Tivo and has no monthly fees.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So we have man
Heres a way to improve the experience:

Don't play ads.

Furthermore, what benefit is their to the Tivo user. I don't care about your free entertainment. Keep your free Tivo+, and give me an ad free experience I paid for.
Yeah really. Tivo+ is a little late to the game, no? How many more of these garbage free streaming services riddled with ads do we really need? Crackle, IMDB TV, Vudu, Pluto...the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It not now then when? If they're earning ad revenue today, why aren't prices going down today? I don't see what would be different next year.
Additional ad revenue is not going to reduce prices. This is not a zero sum game we're playing. When you're a publicly traded company there is constant pressure by shareholders to increase profits each year. So you can either raise monthly subscriber fees each year or you can introduce things like advertisements.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Success! 72 hours later I tried and was still getting pre-roll ads on my Bolt (but not on the mini). Called support with my existing case number. They had me unplug and replug and then force an update. The update took a long time to load (probably 10-15 minutes), but once done, I am no longer seeing ads (or blue ring). Program loads immediately without delay. Running 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.
So it sounds like they may have downgraded you to a prior version of the software that does not support ads. My question is what is going to happen when they release the next software update to everyone. Is that going to start the cycle with the ads all over again?

·
Registered
391 Posts
No, it's a server side setting associated with each TiVo in your account, not tied to specific software version. TiVo has a bunch of such settings completely under their control now, including for example ability to toggle on/off commercial skip capability. That's why it requires you to call in and provide your TiVo TSN # to get it changed. If they really wanted to they could add a toggle once you login to their web page, but obviously for this particular setting they don't want to make it that easy to disable.
That's what I would have thought. Just seemed odd that the guy said it was a 10-15 minute download...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why does a creator/provider get to do what they want with ads, but no one else does? Who invented that rule? No one did. Those ads weren't there before, then they were introduced. People didn't like them at first but they gradually got used to them. Now every Youtube video starts with one or two pre-roll ads and this is acceptable. Youtube is now even interrupting the videos to show ads. Eventually people will get used to that and it will become acceptable.

In reality, technology is the only thing that limits where ads can be placed (with the exception of tobacco). Rovi/Tivo showed ads since day one in 1999, first non-targeted on the home screen because that's all they could do. Then they put them on the pause bar, then in between channels in the guide, etc. Now they have the ability to put them where others have and people act surprised and like it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Finally, my Moto G6 does occasionally show me notifications about other Moto products. Actually that phone is an Amazon phone so they show me ads too. Samsung phones show pop-up ads too. So this imaginary line that products can't insert their own ads has already been crossed by others.
I have never heard of these pop up ads on Samsung phones, but Samsung is notorious for loading up all their devices with bloatware, so this doesn't surprise me, and it's the main reason I don't buy Samsung devices. Regarding Youtube, there are no ads on Youtube if you subscribe to Google Play Music or Youtube Music (which I do), so at least that option is out there for people that don't want to put up with ads.

·
Registered
391 Posts
OK. So it's the same. The CW shows I watch I purchase from Amazon, Vudu, or Fandango Now. Since that is the only way for me to avoid any commercials with them. And also get decent video quality. Since DC OTA, Comcast, and FiOS video quality is so bad.
What kind of picture quality are you looking for that you would rather pay for it than receive it for free OTA? In my area the NYC OTA channels look awesome and in most cases are better than the cable companies.

·
Registered
391 Posts
but it sucks that when I want to check the channel signal strength, I now have to use my other TiVo or do one channel at a time on the bolt, but this has not been enough for us to find another alternative. Too much invested already in a bolt, a roameo, and a mini.
Just curious, why do you have a frequent need to check signal strengths? If you don't want to go to the actual signal meter screen, you can also view signal strengths by going to the Diagnostics screen. This will show you the strength for any channels that are currently tuned.

·
Registered
391 Posts
***EDIT***
Got it to work by adding all these domains(including the first one listed in the prior message) to the Block Sites of the Security section on my Netgear router. Even if it is inbound, it still stops the videos from playing.

I will monitor to see if they start up again.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there any type of lag when you start the recording or is it seamless?

·
Registered
391 Posts
At this point it's well documented as to which domains to block (without any negative impact) so there is no real reason to deal with TiVo especially if each new release brings them back (at some point)... block them and by done.
I agree. Dealing with Tivo seems like such a waste of time on this. Even if they block the ads temporarily, people have reported that they reappear in the future. Blocking the domains is one solution, although I fully expect those to change over time as well, so it will be a wild goose chase keeping up :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just as a point of reference (for anyone reading along) pi-hole doesn't block data per se. Rather it doesn't return (via DNS) the domain's address so the domain is never reached/contacted. Unlike a typical firewall where the data would be dropped once received if it meets certain criteria...
Is there any way to get Pi-hole working on a Windows machine? That's all I have available. From what I see on their site it looks like you need to have a Unix-based system.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.