TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't feel 'trapped' at all. For all its warts I believe Tivo is still the best option out there for cable users. Auto ad skipping, great DVR, excellent video and audio. As to TE3 vs TE4, I prefer TE4 but have no problems with those that don't. And you can keep your Tivo gear, I have plenty of it now.

Now about that streaming and on demand. You mean the on demand that more often than not has no ad skipping? And in many cases no trick play of any sort.

I'm on Mediacom with a $198/month bill for 200/20 internet service and nearly all channels, including all the premiums. If I dropped the premiums and extra packs it would be about $150. Considering that the 200/20 service alone is $100, I'm getting a good deal. Could go all streaming and save a little while giving up a lot of things I like to watch.

If I were to go streaming and OTA, it would be with my Bolt for locals and AppleTV w/Sling among others. No need to buy yet another box to replace the Bolt. BTW, does the HDHomerun and apps allow for auto ad-skipping? I didn't see anything on that when I looked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
man stockholm syndrome sure is really with some TiVo fan boys.

people defending this, should ask themselves a simple question, what benefit, as a costumer of Tivo are getting for these ads?

And like someone else pointed out, I'm wondering how long until a network sues Tivo for replacing the network ads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And some have reading comprehension issues, who knew?
Note I didn't say I liked it, just that I won't be dropping Tivo. Why would I want to drop a product that is fully paid for to pick up yet another lesser product? All over an irritating ad?

Maybe you should stop defending Tivo so much, so people aren't confused.

PS.

The point of paying Tivo was to skip ads. Now I'm paying them to see ads?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you read "I don't like it" to mean defending Tivo? And if you'll look at other posts I've made I don't think you'll find me a fan boy. I just like it better than the other solutions.

I'm not paying Tivo any more so it isn't an issue for me.

all/almost all of your posts on this topic seem to be making excuses for Tivo. Zero posts criticizing the move.

Did you pay Tivo to show you ad's? Was that part of the lifetime agreement as commonly understood? Was there some line saying 'We will add ad's to your product in the future?'

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).
So what are the monthly and/or lifetime fees paying for? Oh right to skip ads, and provide guide data. Its one ad today, two tomorrow, 20 mins of ads 3 years from now.

And you'll still be on their side. If I wanted ad's, I wouldn't have bought a TiVo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two observations:

1. I paid roughly $1100 for a bolt and two minis with lifetime. Now a software update has added a feature that may have altered my decision if it was there when I purchased it. I'm sure there are thousands of people like me. For the lawyers in the forum, what legal recourse is there??

2. While I hate this decision as much as anybody here, in the scheme of things this is equivalent to a commercial playing at the start of a recorded show and you have to hit skip. Now it looks like, you will be forced to hit skip twice. Again, I understand the anger, but is this really that much of a negative?
Whats your ad limit? You know it starts with one that's skippable. Then you cant skip. Then its two ads, then its an ad every 15 mins, then one every time you'skip' an ad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the delay in joining the conversation. I came back from CEDIA with a nasty case of food poisoning that ended up with me in the ER on a drip line for dehydration. No fun.

As you have noticed, we have started to rollout DVR pre-roll ads. This is part of a broader initiative to modernize TiVo's consumer business model.

The ads are served dynamically when playback starts at the beginning of a recording playback. Recordings from certain ad-free networks will not get pre-roll ads and resuming playback on a recording also does not get an ad. Lastly since these are dynamic ads, there are times when ad slots are not purchased in which case ad may not see an ad playback. To ensure the experience remains consistent these ads are skippable using the same buttons you would use for ad-skip (Chan Up, D, SKIP and FF). As part of our commitment to improve the experience, we are measuring each step in the process and will be continually optimizing the ads to reduce latency and improve performance.

We are also investing to bring more content to TiVo users. Our soon to be launched TiVo+ video service will include dozens of channels of free entertainment. We have assembled an amazing set of partners as part of this service and will be evolving it in the coming months with many more channels, on-demand movies and shows and other exciting specialty content coming as well.
Heres a way to improve the experience:

Don't play ads.

Furthermore, what benefit is their to the Tivo user. I don't care about your free entertainment. Keep your free Tivo+, and give me an ad free experience I paid for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would claim that Tivo took the Tivo HD out of maintenance mode when adding H264 support to the Tivo HD for USA when Comcast changed how they transmit programs. It helped that Tivo already had H264 support for the Tivo HD in Australia, otherwise we probably would not have gotten the feature.

Having spent my career in software/firmware engineering, here's the conditions that we would update a product that is in maintenance mode:
  • Widespread issue that would render a major portion of your user base inoperable (Like H264 on Tivo HD)
  • A security issue which allows your product to be compromised
  • A data integrity issue which compromises user data from data loss and/or data corruption
Yes, but now Tivo has bean counters that will create a powerpoint that says adding ads to TE3, will generate 1 million dollars a year, an it will cost XXXXXX less then that do implement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with you 100%. I also would prefer no ads, but for me, having TiVo is the most important part of the equation. And one more button press is not that big a deal to me. Heck, I don't even care that I don't have auto-skip. And there are even times where I use the FF method to advance even though I know I have the Skip button.

Every person is different. What is important to each of us may be different. But I wholeheartedly agree that perhaps the situation could have been handled differently.
maybe they should innovate to get more consumers and make the product more appealing. Instead they'd rather piss off current consumers to make an quick buck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually I probably stoked this back up because I was too lazy to read through all the post about class action lawsuits. Joe, sorry dude - I am upset too but there are really no grounds for a lawsuit here. Nada. Even ambulance chasers don't take ALL cases - they only take the ones they know they'll win. I can't imagine any credible law firm engaging in a lawsuit and wasting time and money on this. There is nothing to sue over. I'm pissed that I have spent nothing short of $8k+ over 18+ years buying Tivo gear - always with Lifetime subscriptions - but the EULAs are clear. We have no standing as customers - heck, even if you're a shareholder you probably won't have standing.

Back to the pre-roll ads. I would love to hear more success stories from those that called customer service to opt out. Is it back to the way it performed pre pre-roll....or shall we not call it, PPR? :)
So you and the other Pro-Tivo Pro-Ad crowd are all lawyers that are 100% sure theres nothing to sue for?
Is there a Tivo check in your inbox to pay for all the cover you are giving them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
1/2 hour, still spinning. Hit Tivo button, tried different shows, either spinning circles or black screens. Have not even seen an ad yet............................. If they put this on TE3 might as well toss my Tivos in the trash, don't think I would even sell them, just sticking someone else with this cr*p.
Its for your own good. Without these forced Tivo ad's your TiVo will stop function. ;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The analogy breaks down at the point where you didn't close the door (hang up the phone, etc) after "I'm like no dude," since you can skip the pre-roll ads.
You kind of can skip the ad's. You still have to wait for the spinning circle to stop spinning and the ad to stop playing. Its like letting the guy in the door and then kicking them out. Its annoying.

Why do you choose to defend the annoyance? What benefit did you get from this ad?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any way to get TiVo off life support I'm all for. So I say, bring on the ads.:)
YES!, what they should really do is allow you to skip all those TV ads, but insert their own ads after every skip.

Or maybe they skip the TV ads, play their own ads, and then skip the TV ads again. Then all we see are Tivo ads. Brilliant. They can even enable auto tv ad skip on by default, so all you see is TiVo ads

As long as that helps them get off life support its all good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.