TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
I wonder if doing this gives networks a new avenue to sue Tivo for autoskip functionality? It is one thing for them to give people ways to skip ads, it is quite another to give people ways to skip ads and then introduce OTHER ads.
Yeah, whether there's a legal avenue or not, it's certainly not going to make TiVo any friends with the content providers. That kills whatever slim chance they would've ever written an app for TiVo's platform. And not only are they cutting ads now, they're substituting their own in place? Ethically, that's like painting over somebody's sign on the highway to bring them to your restaurant instead. No. Just no.

Plus $25 for the app, plus you need to have a supported device for each TV. The supported device list doesn't (yet?) include Roku, which would be helpful in my situation, but I can work around that.
Don't buy the standalone apps! If you use the DVR (30 day free trial & $8/mo after) all the apps are free. Use the "ChannelsDVR" editions.

The silence from TiVo_Ted is deafening.
He's not the CEO. I don't think this is really his department and he really only shows up when he's got news about something he's working on and has gotten permission to share. While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.

· Registered
306 Posts
While I differ with your characterization of what's going on here, sadly, that's what can happen when a company doesn't communicate with and inform its customers about fundamental matters and unilaterally-imposed changes.
Just to be clear here--I'm not giving TiVo a pass about this AT ALL. I'm furious about it, to be perfectly honest. I'm just not aiming my pitchfork at Ted in particular. It's still a big company and I don't know gis level of involvement or that he'd be able to say anything to us about it.

· Registered
306 Posts
Let us all be real, no one is going back to their crappy cable DVR's so good to bellyache, but looks like we are going to be stuck with it for now. I know I am not going back to the buggy, limited space, recording problems, season pass problems of my providers DVR.
I'm not going back to cable, period. My Roamio & four minis were a great solution for OTA for a while but their app platform is a ghost town and I've given up hope that TiVo will ever be a viable one-remote solution with my streaming services all in one place. There were supposed to be apps for Roku & Fire TV by now, still nowhere in sight, and the mobile app and out of home streaming situation is still basically unusable.

Pre-roll ads are just the cherry on top. I'm done. Everything's listed on eBay, and all my TiVo hardware will be gone by the end of the week.

i'm not sure it would be a big deal for me since you can skip them from what I'm reading, they are 15 seconds long and i'm often getting settled when I start a show.
Ah yes, "it's not that bad." Yet. That's the old "boiling a frog" method of adding customer-hostile anti-features to equipment I've already paid quite a lot of money for. No thanks.

I'm also not cool with my TiVo launching some kind of ad-display app before I try to play a recording. I've had my box freeze and crash trying to launch netflix, amazon and hulu enough times to be really wary of them adding any new chores to the Roamio's underpowered SoC. It might just be a 15 second ad, but how long is that blue circle going to spin before and after it plays? The load times for the streaming apps are pretty terrible, so I'm not filled with confidence on that one. And if their stupid ad causes my box to freeze or reboot, I'm liable to rip it out of my entertainment center and smash it to bits. Needless to say, I won't be sticking around to find out.

· Registered
306 Posts
I've had ads from the beginning, and accept them as the cost of free access to the site, knowing that I could eliminate the ads via a paid subscription. Seems like most everyone would be groovy were TiVo doing the same.
Agreed. I'm selling off my existing TiVo equipment, but I had made that decision before I knew about the pre-roll ads (lots of reasons). I could buy back in to the TiVo ecosystem if they fix the issues I am tired of waiting for and at a sane price point.

I have Hulu (with ads) bundled with a Spotify subscription, and I'm totally fine with that. I'm getting a much lower rate by accepting the ads and that is my choice. If TiVo wants to subsidize the cost of their devices with extra advertising before recordings, in the guide, on the home screen, whatever, fine. But that needs to be limited to devices and service plans that reflect that in the pricing. I'd pay Roku money for that--$50 sticks, $100 boxes--maybe $200 if the tuner and hard drive are included--and no ongoing service fees. Buying back in with new TiVo hardware & lifetime service right now would cost around $1,000 and I absolutely will not accept additional advertising for those prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.