TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
It's up to a judge to decide. Companies think their being clever with this boiler plate junk in these quick click it electronic documents.
Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has ruled that binding arbitration clauses in user agreements are valid and enforceable. A lower court judge isn't going to go against a clear Supreme Court precedent.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I would image TiVo has to be more worried about lawsuits from the networks and cable channels. If I owned or managed a network, and saw a service that let people watch my shows, skip my ads, but then made money off selling other adds on my content I smell television and cable lawyers getting excited about their billing hours on that.
As long as they treat all ads equally, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. But if they give their own ads preference by allowing other ads to be autoskipped but their own ads must be skipped manually, that could raise issues.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
If you look at the video, and the blue spinning circle at the start of the pre-roll ad, and then combine that with reports that skipping past the ad is sluggish (not like regular SkipMode ad skipping), all that indicates to me that TiVo is live-streaming the pre-roll ad.
That's my guess as well. It makes me wonder what effect disconnecting the internet connection to the TiVo would have.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Now I imagine it may even be worse. For some or in some set of circumstances, I can imagine you start to play a recording and get a blue circle and no response from any button, ever, with the only recourse is to pull the plug. I can even imagine this happening every time you try to play a recording, rendering the DRV function useless. I don't know this will happen, but we now know that a long delay (a minute or more) is possible before every recording. No sense worrying about this now.
I imagine the effect will be even worse on a Mini. My Minis lock up almost every time they get a spinning blue circle and the only option is to pull the plug. If that happens every time I try to watch a recording from a Mini, it effectively renders recorded playback from Minis impossible for me.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Tivo resurrected the Video Showcase technology that they used in the dial up days to record content (ads/promos) during overnight paid commercial blocks and save them to a small local partition. Still not sure how they could have made it work without an update unless it was already latent in the code.
They've probably been planning this for a while, so had already programmed it into the software and only now have decided to implement it.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Some attributed to Zatz that I saw on DSLReports:

I saw Dave Zatz posted that this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Also if you try to block the ad servers on your home network, it hangs indefinitely waiting to load a pre-roll add that will never load.
That's very troubling. It seems logical that it would do the exact same thing if the TiVo servers went down.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Perthaps you missed this post.

Now since the pre roll ads are a feature and TE3 is now in maintenance mode with no further features only bug fixes it seems to me it is safe to say pre roll is not coming to TE3.
Maybe, maybe not. We can't really know that for certain. And what happens if/when TiVo decides to push TE4 upgrades out to all TiVos capable of running it and disables the ability to downgrade to TE3?

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
How can we start a campaign against Tivo?

I pay Tivo for service every month.

But now... I am forced to watch a COMMERCIAL before I can watch the RECORDED TV SHOWS that I recorded on my TIVO???

And... I recorded those shows from my CABLE COMPANY... AND MY CABLE COMPANY ***ALSO*** FORCES ME TO WATCH COMMERCIALS EVEN THOUGH I PAY TO RECEIVE THE CABLE CHANNELS???

Jesus! Where does it end?
Oh stop being so dramatic. I don't like the pre-roll ads anymore than you do, but you're not being forced to watch them. You can skip them with a single button push or you can call TiVo and get them removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.