TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
What’s the going CPM rate nowadays for preroll?

Did TiVo hire an army of sales reps to sell directly to advertisers in various markets?

Or are they just leveraging a back-fill ad network? (Substantially less revenue there)

how much revenue do we actually think this will bring in? They have less than 1M retail customers as of now. (Not all of which are eligible for ads)

if they’re using an ad network I can’t see them making a ton of money.

If they hired sales staff, that’s a large cost and investment that they’d need to ensure they cover with generated sales.

Is there anything in their recent investor reports to give an idea of their anticipated revenue?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I wonder if the people who get the ads turned off and have the special version update will not get other new features later on though. Essentially being in "maintenance mode" again but on TE4. Like if some new great feature is introduced you have to upgrade to get it and then the ads return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no "special version update". They just flip a switch on your account in the back end.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
If this article is correct, then downgrading is a temporary fix.

TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

"The company intends to roll out the commercials to users still on TiVo Experience 3 at a later date. So not updating to the latest software is not a way to avoid the ads."

Don't know much about the integrity of Techspot, and the article doesn't quote who exactly gave them this information. This may be a little worrisome for those running to TE3 though.
Believe TiVo Ted, not a site which you do not know the integrity of.

All these various tech sites picked up the story and started to rewrite (ie: copy) the original to get their own page views.

They scoured sources (probably such as this forum) to get new details which may or not have been validated.

This isn't "reporting" it's regurgitation.

Tivo Ted works for TiVo. He has said TE3 won't get ads. He said it plainly. End of speculation.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Can confirm pre-roll ads have been removed from my system after calling Tivo on Sunday.. HOWEVER, the guide ads are stil there. Will call them today. These are extremely annoying, i have memory of where specific channels are, now everything is all dorked up.
Can you post a photo of the guide ads?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
This was done pre-Roamio days. Some members would post seeing a red LED for no reason. I think the Discovery channel was used. There are no guide updates from 6pm to 2am, so that's a big hole to use.
Tivo would record content of 10ish minutes in length that would be accessible via the "Yellow start ads".

Things like "Get a preview of this fall's new shows on CBS".

This was way before Roamio when high speed connections were t the norm and TiVo's were connected by phone lines, not Ethernet/WiFi.

Doing that in today's environment for some 30-sec ads would be overkill.

Plus, not feasible in terms of when advertisers what to swap out ad content quickly and to deliver new ad campaigns quickly.

I'm also not sure if current models have reserved space on the HDs to store these. Even a few 30sec ads taking up HD space would have users screaming ;)

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I have the video window turned on and I see it when going to Tivo Central. After the hiccup where there is no picture ...just a blank square. You mean to tell me you think the progress bar is equally accurate in both systems? Whatever time you spent with Hydra you obviously have forgotten this aspect of it.
I have used TiVo for close to 20 years and I've never once thought my progress bar was inaccurate nor have I heard anyone else ever say so. On any version of software.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Just wait until they insert them during the commercial breaks. DirecTV and Verizon already do this. And I'm pretty sure auto-skip won't skip Rovi's ads.

I'm just putting that out there because despite Amazon and Youtube already having pre-roll ads, and the fact that Rovi/Tivo has always managed to squeeze in ads anywhere they can, people are somehow shocked that Rovi would put pre-roll ads into their DVR.
DirecTV and Verizon do what?

Their DVRs insert commercials on top of broadcast commercials within recordings?

Or they insert their own commercials into broadcasts?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
What DirecTV and Verizon do, and for that matter ALL cable companies do is insert ads in spots called local avails. These are spots where a local commercial can be substituted for the national one. Cable has done this forever, the only thing unique is what DirecTV developed to store local spots on the DVR hard drive (in reserved space so it does NOT affect your available space) and play them during that spot. Non DVR customers still see the national commercial
Thanks. I'm aware of local avails but didn't know DTV stored them locally.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
You know that is very interesting. If it is at an account level not box related then you could opt out. But if you sell/transfer the box to someone else they might not be able to opt out when they transfer to their account. If that is true forget about selling/transferring any TE4 Tivos, whomever ends up with them might be stuck with pre-rolls. Which would not make for happy campers, as in returns etc etc.
How did you jump to that conclusion?

If it's account level, anyone could opt out, regardless of box.

If you sell a device, it's no longer associated with your account, would then get ads, until the new owner opted out.

There's nothing to suggest a device sold to a secondary user would prohibit opting out.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
That's not what I've been reading, supposedly the ability to "opt out" depends on your account, how long you've been a customer, type of service you have (lifetime, monthly, promo, whatever). Until Tivo comes out and states "ANYONE CAN OPT OUT AT ANY TIME" I have to figure they are making choices on who can and who cannot opt out, for now probably most, in the future maybe not so. They want the ads, letting some "opt out" for now does not mean they will in the future, probably not. Especially new customers who know nothing else. Maybe old customers can have a yearly get together, talk about "the good old days" of Tivo, live guide, transfers, NO PRE-ROLL ADS ;)
Oh yes, that I agree with. It seems not ALL customers can opt out.

Doesn't have anything to do with a device being secondhand or anything, just the account itself.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Also...I dont think the Roamio line is ready for this. The ads came on nice and smooth on my Bolt. My Roamio Plus however seems to be fighting it all the way to the point of restarting.
Are you having problems with the actual ads or just the arrow screen?

I'm only seeing the arrows, no ads yet, but my Roamio handles it fine.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Has anyone successfully blocked the ads using a firewall or blocking addresses some other way?

My BF has had the arrow screen on his Bolt for months but has never seen an an and he runs a fairly complex server/router/firewall setup.

He installed a similar setup at my house just before I started getting the arrow screen so I’m wondering if he somehow found the magic formula to avoid the ads?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.