TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This could be exactly what I've been looking for. If I understand it correctly, I should be able to integrate OTA with streaming channels, actually record the streams, and skip ads on all channels. I'll wait to see exactly what "TiVo Plus" offers, but, it needs to be more or less this.

I don't suppose Channels DVR supports anything like Wishlists?

Plus $25 for the app, plus you need to have a supported device for each TV. The supported device list doesn't (yet?) include Roku, which would be helpful in my situation, but I can work around that.
I've had Channels DVR for over a month now. It's certainly worth a look with their free 30-day trial. You can integrate multiple providers with Channels DVR. I have OTA & Xfinity support set up right now. I'm still using my Tivos on TE3 while I evaluate Channels DVR. I get 120 channels from Xfinity, no locals or premium channels. OTA for locals via HDHomerun Quatro. Channels DVR picks up channels that are available through TV Everywhere support. It does not require cablecard. See thestreamable.com/tv-everywhere-apps for TV Everywhere channels with various streaming providers. Cable provider support for TV Everywhere varies.

Channels DVR records the streams to your server of which they support a wide variety of platforms and the recorded programs are available to edit. It has an option to run Comskip on recorded programs to allow automatic commercial skipping. Channels supports Advanced Passes that allow you to specify some keyword matches. Not as elegant as Tivo wishlists, but seems to work well enough for my wishlists.

Channels DVR UI is not as polished as Tivo (TE3), but the development team is active in their forums. If you're data cap limited, recorded shows will count towards your data cap. Even with the extensive recording I'm doing, I am not close to hitting my 1TB cap. I'm running 1-5-2.0 GB/hour for recorded show.

On topic: If the pre-roll ads hit my TE3 Tivos, it's a dealbreaker for me as I'm already looking for a viable option to dump Xfinity that allows me access to recordings for archival purposes.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think that BSC is a good indication that the pre-roll is from a different server. I'm still at a loss how they made this work without a software update. I'm afraid it means there is no internal TiVo time-out should that server go down. That would be serious.
It wouldn't surprise me if Tivo resurrected the Video Showcase technology that they used in the dial up days to record content (ads/promos) during overnight paid commercial blocks and save them to a small local partition. Still not sure how they could have made it work without an update unless it was already latent in the code.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Fair enough. But in order to do that and add a "feature" they would have to take TE3 out of "Maintenance mode", and I don't know if that's ever been done before.

More likely would be a forced update to TE4?
I would claim that Tivo took the Tivo HD out of maintenance mode when adding H264 support to the Tivo HD for USA when Comcast changed how they transmit programs. It helped that Tivo already had H264 support for the Tivo HD in Australia, otherwise we probably would not have gotten the feature.

Having spent my career in software/firmware engineering, here's the conditions that we would update a product that is in maintenance mode:
  • Widespread issue that would render a major portion of your user base inoperable (Like H264 on Tivo HD)
  • A security issue which allows your product to be compromised
  • A data integrity issue which compromises user data from data loss and/or data corruption

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yes, but now Tivo has bean counters that will create a powerpoint that says adding ads to TE3, will generate 1 million dollars a year, an it will cost XXXXXX less then that do implement.
As Tivo_Ted has stated here, Tivo has no plans to add this feature to TE3 at this time. The decision has been made by Tivo. The business case does not support it. Of course they could change their minds, but right now, Tivo believes they can make more money applying their limited dollars & resources to other projects which will hopefully make a greater return on investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.