TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
The silence from TiVo_Ted is deafening.

Can you say "duck and cover"?;)

FWIW, I am on TE3 and intend to stay there indefinitely or until forced to change. When/if these ads are foisted on me, I will be very displeased--but not enough to junk my Roamio Pro and Mini. HOWEVER, I imagine that will be the last of my TiVo purchases of any kind. Leave it to Rovi management to make Comcast's newest device lineup look more and more attractive. There will always be trade-offs, but I guess cloud DVR is in my future.:(

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
He hasn't been online for almost 2 weeks here.
Yes, I know (I had checked), and I don't think that's particularly unusual especially with the time commitment to CES and its follow-up.

But now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party, as I used to practice over and over in high school typing class. (Does that date me, or what?;))

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
He's not the CEO. I don't think this is really his department and he really only shows up when he's got news about something he's working on and has gotten permission to share. While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.
You are never going to hear from the CEO on this forum. Rather, it is in the domain of the customer-oriented execs to answer the mail, as Margret and Ted have done here in the past.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
What a misstep.

I've been a ticket user continuously since 2000ish. I currently have a roamio and mini. I'd already thought these might be my last since the majority of what we watch is streaming but this will likely cinch it.
That's a very funny autocorrect error. Especially now that so many users here are ready to "punch" their TiVo.:D

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
I'll SCREAM 'HARASSMENT' ALSO'!!!!! I really try to 'ignore' you but then you're with the I read or I think. I believe I've pretty much stuck to 'fact & first hand' experience. I'm sorry you can't/don't see the intended 'HUMOR/SARCASM'
Just use the Ignore feature. It's better for your blood pressure and we will all thank you for your courtesy.

Your Account > People You Ignore

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
This is an amazing brain washing. Now, they got some of us slowly rationalizing that these ads are somehow acceptable with half-baked logic. Hey! Rovi, you want to increase revenue do it the right way! Improve your product!

But you can't because you have deceived us into believing you are a tech company. You are a predatory corporate raider that used the TiVo brand to hide behind. Your behavior is so obvious and disgusting to what TiVo once stood for and your failure is utterly laughable because you can't even make this disgraceful cheap money grab work because it involves some tech.
How many times you feel it is necessary to repeat the same hyperbolic vitriol? If you could remain objective and rational, your arguments might carry some weight. As is it, I find you add nothing to the conversation, and I only point this out in the hopes that it might dissuade others from following your overemotional path.

Please don't bother to respond as I have now added you to my (very, very short) ignore list.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
Are you suggesting my post sounded like cheerleading?
I'm not the OP, but I will respond to that (especially since I was the first on this thread to invoke your name in hopes of getting your input).

I just "liked" your last post above, which was clear, concise, and effectively answered the most pressing questions that have been plaguing most of us. I am hopeful that this excellent feedback will assuage a lot of bent feelings about this pre-roll ad topic to date.

However (and for the very first time, I might add), I was disappointed with your previous post and did find it self-serving in tone. I would like to write that off to lingering health issues since IMHO it was very much not the type of communication I have come to expect and appreciate from your valuable presence on this forum.

I hope that you will have a speedy recovery--in spite of the additional heartburn the current topic is bound to cause you;).

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
I've been receiving these ads for several days now. It's random which recordings it plays on, but frequent. The same ad every time. An obnoxious car sales ad, and not in English!

So, TiVo gives us AutoSkip to skip commercials, and then runs commercials prior to our recordings!?! What are they thinking? I didn't spend $1,000 to watch ads. Yes, you can (currently) skip the ad with a FFWD but why should we have to? Not at all happy with TiVo.
You do not necessarily have to put up with the pre-roll ads. In case you have not been following this thread, you have the option of calling in to TiVo customer support and they will remove the feature from your account settings (on a case-by-case basis and subject to certain undefined preconditions).

So far to to best of my recollection no one here who has seen the ads has reported calling in and being turned down for their removal. It does reportedly take up to 72 hours to take effect, so you have to wait a bit to confirm the process.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
This is why people keep asking/digging. TiVo keeps saying "eligible boxes" but that's an undefined term to date.

If they were pushing ads to all TE4 boxes, I'd think they could just say "TE4" rather than "eligible." Bottom line, I haven't seen anyone report the ads as present, yet, on a TE4 Roamio or Mini - but that might just be because they're only pushing 'em to the more powerful BOLT platform for the first wave. As a cruel trick, maybe they'll only be pushed to the fastest, newest boxes ... BOLTs and the Edge, running TE4.
My interpretation has always been that they (including Ted) mean any TiVo device that is capable of running TE4, whether it is currently or has ever been on TE4.

I agree that the stipulation could have been more precise, but that's not necessarily something the legal department would strive for.:rolleyes:

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
Though I'll pointlessly argue that this interpretation seems over-broad, as it would seem to include boxes currently running TE3, having been rolled-back.
Yes, precisely. The operative term in question here is "eligible." Any box capable of running TE4 would be eligible to receive the pre-roll ads; those boxes (e.g., Premieres) that lack the capability of hosting TE4 can not get this ad feature. That is not to imply that any eligible box that is currently running TE3 would receive it as long as it remains on TE3. That is a separate question, which Ted has answered "for the present."

(N.B.: His exact words were "At this point, TiVo have no plans to implement pre-roll ads on TE3.")

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
Whether implied it's what I inferred from your original statement
Your inference is specious due to the fact that you are misreading my post or have failed to place it in the proper context.

To recap: I was responding to your statement "TiVo keeps saying "eligible boxes" but that's an undefined term to date."

And I declared my understanding of the term "eligible boxes" to be "any TiVo device that is capable of running TE4, whether it is currently or has ever been on TE4."

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
I was aware (from having read through this thread) and had planned to do so. Though, FWIW, since posting I've noticed only a brief spinning blue symbol and no ads, with pretty much every recent recording. I do not think my post had any impact, but I wonder if they have backed off given all the contacts. I still intend to follow up with them, though I suspect all our efforts will come to nothing on this, and they are simply getting their ducks in a row. Others still receiving pre-roll ads?
Good to hear that you were fully up to date on this. If I were in your shoes I would not delay asking for removal while TiVo seems to be responsive. You never know when the tide may turn and, unless you enjoy having these ads, you might as well have them eliminated.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
Just FYI, the new pricing scheme that Comcast has rolled out in parts of their footprint (and will almost certainly spread everywhere) is this: DVR service (whether 60 hrs cloud-only or local+cloud) costs $10/mo for the account. And then whatever model X1 boxes you rent are $5/mo each. You can go 100% IPTV and just get simple wireless X1 boxes with no tuners or hard drive and exclusively rely on cloud DVR.
One small caveat regarding the "wireless" Xi5/6 client boxes is that they can only operate wirelessly in conjunction with the Comcast rental (XB3/6) gateway. If you are using a third-party modem or set the Comcast modem to bridge mode you must use the Xi5/6's ethernet port.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,787 Posts
I finally saw my first pre-roll ad today.
Got my first pre-roll today too. I knew it was coming when I started to see the arrows screen before recordings start. Didn't get the usual "new mail" notification when new features are added, lol. Keurig Donut Shoppe coffee was the pitch for me. The second time I encountered it I just hit the skip and it was done. Not nearly as intrusive as the TiVo plus plastered in the guide and menu bar. I miss the ToDo menu item that TiVo plus booted out.
Although we must assume that you are both on TE4 (Hydra), it would be appreciated if everyone would please specify your TiVo model(s) and/or UI when posting about pre-roll ad appearance.

If you are on TE3, this would be news of primary and unsettling significance on the issue of this loathsome "feature."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.