TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My Tivo is heading for the trash heap if I start getting these ads. Right on queue, the Recast is back on sale today for Prime members.
Um... Amazon already does this with their streamed content. Pretty trivial for them to add it to the Recast as well.

As somebody else said, everyone else it doing it because that's where the money is made. At least you can skip it (for now).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Lifetime is lifetime. It doesn't matter how many years. They got all the money up front. Under no situation would it be fair to subject lifetime subscribers to pre-roll ads. We can't vote with our wallets and walk away like monthly or annual subscribers can.
It's not lifetime, it's all-in. As in, "Tivo is awesome and can do no wrong." As per the agreement. It's perfectly fair to subject all-in customers to it, since they paid to get all of the "experience." Also, you bought all-in service because it was the cheapest plan. So technically you're already on the cheapest plan, and those plans are the ones most subject to ads.

And if you thought, "Tivo would never do something like insert pre-roll video ads," even though they have inserted ads on the home screen since day one and figured out how to put ads on the pause bar of all places, then that also should influence your next purchase and whether you should pay for all-in service or not.

Besides, we've known for a while that the retail customers are pretty much beta testers for their more prized MSO customers. So if you're all-in in being a guinea pig, that's great. If not, that should influence your next decision about all-in service.

Finally, almost everybody in this forum has been a customer long enough and is eligible to opt out. So quit whining about it and do it already! Your empty threats of leaving Tivo for good ("and this time I mean it") and class-action lawsuits are falling on deaf ears because it's not going to happen. Downgrading to TE3 will happen because some people are paranoid. But maybe you can try opting out before the ads come to your Tivos; like a horrible virus infecting your DVR that posts your playlist on the Internet for everyone to see, sends an electrical surge frying all the components in your entertainment center, then finally bursts into flames.

Tell Tivo you've changed your mind and you now want out of the all-in experience. Even though you gave up all your leverage by going all-in in the first place. But please remember this the next time you buy your next Tivo's service plan.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm not sure if I've been a customer long enough, and I'm not interested in calling Tivo to find out. This decision by Tivo makes it clear to me that they don't value the customer experience, and that's a signal for me that I should get out while the getting is good. I ordered a Tablo yesterday, and my Tivo will be on ebay next week. So yeah, my threats weren't actually empty. Tivo has lost me as a customer.
Congratulations! I'm serious, BTW. Good luck with the Tablo -- it's not a bad DVR.

I'd also refer you to the Amazon Recast, but Amazon Prime puts NON-SKIPPABLE pre-roll ads in their streaming videos, so it's only a matter of time before they put that in the Recast. Somehow I don't think it's the right DVR for you. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Not saying TiVo would ever do this, but they COULD force TE 4 on you, even if you roll back (per the terms and conditions). They could also choose to outright discontinue the S3 and S4 regardless of lifetime status.

Again, not saying they would, but I also never thought they would do this, so.....
I think "forcing customers to TE4" and "canceling/refusing the ad opt out" have the same (low) chance of happening for older customers. I wouldn't downgrade to TE3 just to avoid the small possibility of not being able to opt out of the ads in the future.

If you are a new customer, and you can't opt out, and you can't stand the ads, then I would recommend downgrading to TE3. Otherwise call Tivo up and opt out.

FYI, I knew they would do this because everybody else is doing it, even for paid services like Amazon Prime. Rovi has the ability to generate targeted ads which is where a lot of the money is made these days.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I think that the situation only has been exacerbated by the current glitchy-like implementation of the pre-roll ads pass-off and back, which turns a speedbump into something of a pothole. :( Hopefully, that can be improved, but the fact of the involvement of TiVo's servers conceivably will place limits on what can be done. That will get old very fast.
Also it didn't help that they released the new functionality to beta testers who didn't know they were beta testers. Therefore, they posted here panicked and it got off to a really bad start.

They may want to reset that list and ask the real beta testers to reapply.

The only thing worse than bad news is finding out about it second-hand.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
How can we start a campaign against Tivo?

I pay Tivo for service every month.

But now... I am forced to watch a COMMERCIAL before I can watch the RECORDED TV SHOWS that I recorded on my TIVO???

And... I recorded those shows from my CABLE COMPANY... AND MY CABLE COMPANY ***ALSO*** FORCES ME TO WATCH COMMERCIALS EVEN THOUGH I PAY TO RECEIVE THE CABLE CHANNELS???

Jesus! Where does it end?
Well, you can cancel your Tivo and cable service. Because voting with your wallet is the only sure fire way to get their attention.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There is an irony for advertisers here. TiVo makes it possible for viewers to skip advertisers' regular broadcast commercials, thru ff, 30-second skip, SkipMode, and now AutoSkip. To try to get viewers to watch their commercials, the advertisers then have to pay TiVo separately to run the ads as pre-rolls (which, although they can be ff'ed or skipped thru, can't be AutoSkipped through). Kinda genius.
Just wait until they insert them during the commercial breaks. DirecTV and Verizon already do this. And I'm pretty sure auto-skip won't skip Rovi's ads.

I'm just putting that out there because despite Amazon and Youtube already having pre-roll ads, and the fact that Rovi/Tivo has always managed to squeeze in ads anywhere they can, people are somehow shocked that Rovi would put pre-roll ads into their DVR.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I think most people understand that a content creator/provider (Amazon, YouTube) has the right to do what they want. TiVo is simply a transmission medium/recorder, so inserting ads seems offensive to some. If someone takes a picture and shares it, they can watermark it. If Apple started watermarking pictures you take on an iPhone, you would be offended.
Why does a creator/provider get to do what they want with ads, but no one else does? Who invented that rule? No one did. Those ads weren't there before, then they were introduced. People didn't like them at first but they gradually got used to them. Now every Youtube video starts with one or two pre-roll ads and this is acceptable. Youtube is now even interrupting the videos to show ads. Eventually people will get used to that and it will become acceptable.

In reality, technology is the only thing that limits where ads can be placed (with the exception of tobacco). Rovi/Tivo showed ads since day one in 1999, first non-targeted on the home screen because that's all they could do. Then they put them on the pause bar, then in between channels in the guide, etc. Now they have the ability to put them where others have and people act surprised and like it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Finally, my Moto G6 does occasionally show me notifications about other Moto products. Actually that phone is an Amazon phone so they show me ads too. Samsung phones show pop-up ads too. So this imaginary line that products can't insert their own ads has already been crossed by others.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Likewise for TiVo, if it's needed for survival and thriving; but for heaven's sake, get rid of the current kerchung and disfunctional aspects--I don't mean to be flip, but it just interferes with the TiVo Experience.
Well, like all new Tivo features, it's initially dysfunctional and very rough around the edges. So that's already consistent with the Tivo experience.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you really think a Class Action Suit benefits anyone other than the lawyers?
Yes, it benefits future customers by preventing the company (and others like it) from doing that in the future. It might, for example, deter Comcast from adding pre-roll ads to their DVR or Tivo from adding ads in the middle of the recording. But you're right when you say that it won't benefit existing customers.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
No, it DOES benefit ALL customers, including the current ones, if it causes a company to change its behavior and stop doing either illegal or unethical things. A small cash payout to each customer is meaningless, but when all those small pieces of fortune are aggregated together, it WILL cause a losing company and others watching to change behavior.

I am incensed by what Rovi is doing to existing customers in this case, but I do not know if it qualifies for a lawsuit. HOWEVER, if a knowledgeable attorney thinks it does, and is willing to work the case for a percentage of any future judgement (proves he thinks it is a valid case), then I am Absolutely ALL FOR a class action suit.

The idea presented here by some that "It is OK if Rovi screws me if it keeps TiVo in business" is a completely UNACCEPTABLE approach to life in my option. I certainly will miss TiVo (the OLD TiVo - the one that is already gone), but I doubt that I will miss Rovi one bit. They will just serve as another history lesson about what happens to stupid companies.
1. By the time the lawsuit is settled, existing customers are ex-customers. Or the amount is so trivial that nobody cares about it anymore. Or the amount they have to pay doesn't exceed the profit the company made doing the bad activity. I've been involved in class action lawsuits -- I got some pocket change for buying my wife's engagement ring 20 years ago, and yet there's still a monopoly in the diamond market. I got $10 back for buying a DVD-ROM 10 years ago when there was collusion to jack up the prices, but DVD-ROM prices are still the same. I got a small amount of money when DirecTV removed too many channels from my package, but those channels never came back and my monthly rate didn't drop.

2. Rovi is letting existing customers contact technical support and opt out of the ads for free. I don't see how that's a large enough burden to justify a lawsuit. Not all of their customers are affected, including you and me because we're on TE3, so we couldn't join the lawsuit. New customers aren't going to be eligible because they can return the DVR within 30 days if they don't like it.

3. I agree that "It is OK if Rovi screws me if it keeps TiVo in business" is bad, but everybody has and will sign up for that when they buy the service. You will get the good with the bad, and if you don't like it don't buy the service. Actually, existing customers can get rid of the bad with one phone call and just keep the good. And this is not new behavior for Tivo or Rovi -- they've put ads in places others haven't before and I assume they will continue to do so.

It sounded really bad at first, but then the more the details came out the less upset I was about it. I was never surprised about it, in fact I wondered last spring if they would do it once I saw YouTube do it. I'm not happy about it, but it's not the end of the world.

And that's all I'm going to say about a lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I disagree.The point you are missing here is that TiVo is a DVR first, a cable box second, and everything else (streaming, VOD) third.
The Tivo is a money-making machine first, second, and third. If it's supposed to do those other tasks as well then somebody should tell Rovi.

I should say Tivo is SUPPOSED to be a money-making machine. I don't think DVRs have ever been a money-making machine by themselves. Adding a few crappy streaming apps didn't help. I don't think adding a crappy streaming service will help either.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
TiVo is a DVR first, and a cable box second.
You keep saying that even though it isn't true. Note that saying it over and over again doesn't make it true. Reminds me of somebody in D.C.

Some people mainly watch live TV but need a DVR for occasional use. Some people are the opposite. Is Rovi going to tell people that only the latter group should buy a Tivo? Is Rovi going to tell people they're holding the remote wrong?

Trying to get back on topic: as I've said, with the pre-roll ads, the in-guide ads, the home screen ads, etc., Tivo is clearly a Rovi ad machine first. People are upset with this because they bought a Tivo to skip commercials, even though that's not what it was initially designed to do. But since a lot of people were buying the box primarily for that purpose, marketing told the engineers to make it a feature of the box. So they added a feature to skip commercials with one then with zero button presses to attract these people. Then Rovi started putting their own ads everywhere in the box, which went against why a lot of people (wrongly or not) bought the box in the first place.

This upset a lot of people, as this 79-page thread shows. The problem with upset people is that they start pointing out the other flaws in the product, hoping somebody will do something. So suddenly the fact the remote isn't as intuitive as it could be becomes an issue. The Bolts are too hot, they're not reliable, bad customer support, can't transfer from PC to Tivo, etc. And you can't tell upset people they're using the product wrong, because they won't listen. And because they usually have a point.

So my advice is for others to post the other suddenly horrible things about their Tivo in a different thread, and to stop telling people they're using it wrong. Neither is really helping.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
What are they doing to us? I called about five weeks ago to have the opt-out option turned on for my account. The ads quickly went away. This weekend they are back. I called again today and TiVo support said they would submit a new request. I shouldn't have to make repeated calls every few weeks to have this turned off.
No, you shouldn't. If this becomes a pattern, then I'd suggest going to TE3. There's no in-guide ads and no pre-roll ads. Yet.

1 - 18 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.