TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Perhaps this was an 'intended beta' for their Edge plans - now that it's leaked and further leaked that even TE3 users have been asked to do testing maybe there actually is reason for concern. Maybe an 'opt-out' w/fee or no commercial skip until you agree! I've a new Bolt that's not even out of the wrap so I may look into a return. These leaks could be enough of an argument I'd think to justify!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If you've read through the thread so far, I think that's what's actually happening is pretty well established. What more is there to say?

Here are the facts: TiVo owners running TE4 (Hydra) are seeing streaming pre-roll video ads that TiVo is inserting before they begin playback of their regular TV recordings. It's been confirmed by TiVo via Twitter with remarks that seem to indicate that this is now normal behavior and not some sort of limited experiment that isn't ultimately intended for their existing retail customers. The ads can be skipped/FF past, although (at least right now), doing so is a bit sluggish.
I don't know that there's been what you could say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 have the same experience! Until there's a 'majority of TE4 users that can confirm your implied 'FACT' actually is more speculation!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Learn to read, sir. Nowhere in my statement does it say ALL TiVo owners running TE4 are seeing these ads. (Yet, anyway.) How could anyone know with any certainty whether a certain feature/bug is affecting ALL TiVo users anyhow? What we do know is that several folks on TE4 (but, I believe, none on TE3) have confirmed that they are seeing these pre-roll ads. And TiVo has confirmed that this is happening and that's it's apparently not some isolated freak thing.
I did READ and nowhere do you mention 'SOME' - the TWEET actually mentions 'SOME DVR' recordings and not all!!!

You're full of the 'I heard it from this guy who was told by this guy over here that this is FACT' and you're use of the 'I THINK' is maybe an abuse of your mind!! Give it a break!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
So unless someone specifically says "SOME," you understand it to mean "ALL"? Got it. Excellent reading comprehension skills there, bud.
ALL ? Got it. I get the sarcasm

- I doubt there's much wrong with my reading comprehension!! I seem to have sorted your 'SPECULATION' and WAG on more/less a daily basis! To your credit you didn't deny the 'I heard it from this guy, who heard it from this guy over here that this was fact. I've learned to ignore much from @NashGuy.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was told in a CHAT to set up my Bolt and if the function was there to call back and it could be deactivated!

From the CHAT:

"Okay, I think you are referring to the pre-roll add which shows in Live TV and recordings. Please, setup your box first and check if you have it activated in your new DVR, if so you may reach us back to remove that feature."

I did NOT ask if the deactivation/removal was a once and done for 'Lifetime'.

I couldn't call - I don't speak well enough to use most phones.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Dammit! I just got home from work, checked out one of my recordings and sure enough got an ad. Actually not even an ad, the spinning blue circle follow by a 'see something say something' psa.

I'm a new customer, signed up a few months ago. Never was a beta tester. Cable only Bolt Vox 1TB lifetime sub.
If you can verify the 'pre-roll ad' I was told this AM that a phone call should be sufficient to have it 'disabled/removed'. It might be interesting to maybe confirm your software version now and if after a phone call what it is then. Of course come back and mention what transpired in the phone call!!

Can you 'SKIP' as mentioned in the post with the 'TWEET' response to get past them? See post# 67

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just got off the phone with technical support. He said there is no way to turn off that feature. If I dont want to see the ad I can press skip.

After I got a bit more heated than I would have liked, he did say they are working on a setting to turn it off. I don't know if he said that because I was being umm a bit stern in my tone.

He also said they are getting a lot of calls about it.

@krkaufman I posted my version above. I don't know how to tell TE3 from 4 but I assume it was 4 because it was new equipment and I didnt downgrade.
In my CHAT I was TOLD that there certainly is/was - I'm not going to post my CHAT (I DO HAVE) but for sure I was told to unbox, connect and activate. If the ads appeared 'CALL AND WE'LL REMOVE THAT FEATURE'. They told you many calls and after everyone else has 'grabbed' the info and 'editorialized' it I believe they'll need to address it to the multitudes!!

Mine is remaining in the 'wrap' until they've addressed it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Maybe the guy I talked to didn't know about that? He put me on hold for a while to look into it and came back with the answer. But the answer was definitive (or so it seemed.) I asked about extending my return period so I could send it all back and he said he cant deal with that I'd need to call customer service, he is just technical support.

I'm not sure what to do now.
I'd think it interesting that since you've got it use and maybe mention your thoughts. I've never used TE4/21.* so I can't tell what to expect. Is it in fact a simple 'SKIP' to get to the 'DVR EVENT'! maybe express your displeasure in a CHAT where you'll be asked for the DVR ID etc, you'll be able to save the CHAT and that I'd say documents your displeasure. In a CHAT ENTRY I'd add the DVR ID, 21.* info etc.

How great a nuisance is it? You've Bolt and a couple mini, no mini just Bolt or what other TiVo hardware. Service provider & zip code? Were ads for 'locals'?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
So a long while ago someone asked regarding a NOTE ON ACCOUNT PAGE! I've no idea how long it's been on mine because I left TiVo to try L3TV/T-vision for 13 months. When I returned to TiVo maybe July 20 or so I noticed it but paid little attn!

Is this notation on our accounts what their using as 'authorization' for this trial?

On My account page: TiVo.com I have a notation!

PRIVACY STATUS: Beta

I've never seen it explained and admittedly I've never asked!!! I've no idea when it 1st appeared! Does anyone? I would imagine it on ALL OF OUR ACCOUNT PAGE!

I don't do Twitter or FaceBook - Has anyone from TiVo commented later this afternoon or this evening regarding the TWEET message mentioned in post #67.

Anyone else been told 'we can make it go away' by anyone considered reliable!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm 'rural' and in an Xfinity 'only' market, since the VOD was going away I seized the opportunity to use an older Premier and the 'summer sale' to be rid of a Premier. Resale for it in an Xfinity market I assumed would be 'less than' very little. I do NOT regret that. I'm certainly NOT happy about the TE4/21* on the Bolt but mine being still in the wrapper I'll certainly opt for a return/refund. I wouldn't think that's going to be an issue. I was told 'Pre-Roll' ads could be turned off and to connect the Bolt and move on. I ain't - I'll wait for several days and see how this shakes out.

My Roamio 3TB and TE3 should likely do me well into the future. I was offered an XG1V4 in my Xfinity package for 2 years N/C and I took that. It's worked well in my setup. Roamio is in another room with a Mini and the XG1V4 in the main viewing area. Regardless of what some say Xfinity on my 64" PN64F8500 1080P PLASMA w/17K hours for 'broadcast TV/most streaming' does extremely well.

I did buy a Mini VOX and it's rolled back to TE3 (wonder if that will stick) I can't use VOX and some remote features don't seem to work well but so long as it will do 4K streaming on it's own I'm OK with that. I used it for a few days and actually with the 1080P I returned to the A9300 Mini.

I 'listen' to TV often during the day and walking past the receiver and a 'single' button push has the XG1V4 on the news.

If TE3 on the Roamio gets forced the 'ads' it certainly might change my mind!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've read that Verizon FiOS recently increased the price for their DVR service and/or equipment rental.

And while you're trying to weigh your options, be aware that Verizon now sells YouTube TV, letting you pay through your Verizon bill. Earlier this summer, they were giving new FiOS internet subscribers one free month of YouTube TV to start rather than the standard 1-week free trial. Also, Verizon has submitted to the FCC a new streaming device called "Stream TV". The speculation is that it will run a version of Google Android TV with a UI and remote control that are customized specifically for YouTube TV. Then Verizon will have their own custom hardware to give to their YouTube TV subscribers, making it easier for traditional cable TV subscribers to switch over to streaming cable TV.

Sure Looks Like Verizon has a Streaming TV Box on the Way

YouTube TV (and all the streaming cable TV services, really) have their own set of trade-offs versus using traditional cable TV with a TiVo. But with TiVo now streaming ads to their users, it might tip the scales in favor of another option...
YOU'VE READ!!!!!! - AGAIN - YOU're stressing the 'brain' STOP IT

I'll wait for some 'first hand' responses!!! The mentions of 'HERE TO STAY - NO ALTERNATIVE' seem to all be from so called sources via another guy who told my cousin who told her sister but swears it to be correct because she heard it on the Internet!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is the 'quoted' section in the mentioned 'EDITORIAL' By who?

"We're dedicated to innovation that helps our customers stay in control of how, when, and what they watch. Advertising is an important part of every media business and TiVo is investing in new advertising experiences. We have designed our new DVR advertising units with the ability to 'skip' ads anytime a customer hits 'skip.' This is part of our ongoing commitment to bring our users the best media discovery experience possible."

The quoted text mentions 'our new DVR advertising units' and then in the EDITORIAL most if not all is just from other editorials. NO WHERE IS A TiVo EXECUTIVE mentioned by name. The devices in use now are 'speculative' - several including myself have been told the 'FEATURE' can be removed! FACT or FICTION? Who knows.

The TE3 mentioned in the EDITORIALS looks maybe to have come from maybe a source here on the TCF who heard it from someone! Again 'no first hand'

@NashGuy - I ain't harassing you It's my interpretation of the maybe 5 or 6 editorials floating around from the USUAL SOURCES.

I mentioned NOT being bothered by it YET and I'm NOT. My Bolt is still in the wrapper and I've asked for a 'return' because of the commentary that's out there. My CreditCard Financial Unit does very well for their consumer and after an exchange of conversation with TiVo I'd expect a favorable resolution with them. It appears that a 'NEW OUT OF BOX' Bolt w/TE4 would automatically get the 'feature'. That was never advertised! A quick conversation with a representative that anything involving ads requires likely an 'opt in'!

A couple days into this and there's been no visit from any 'known TiVo representatives' hints that they've heard ........ I would think there's internal conversation.

DVR advertising units Soon to be released or what? What is a DVR 'advertising unit'?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Did it? I haven't used it for quite some time. News to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm quite sure and I thought an 'alternative' for me on my 1080P displays would be to use a 4Tuner Elite and a A9300 Mini if 'preplay-ads' got pushed to Roamio w/TE3. I'm content just to wait. I and others have been told different than what's mentioned in all of the 'editorial' pieces. Who knows - I'm sure it will get interesting. He!! TiVo might just figure the 'editorials' have done their 'nasties' and if the flack seems worth it - just leave it as is regardless whether it was the plan or NOT!!!!!

The router tweaks look interesting but that seems like quite a management effort - if it would even work.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think we'll get much more of TiVo's overall game plan (and see just how baked it is) in October when TiVo+ is officially announced (along with the Edge likely at the same time). I'm wondering if TiVo is pushing this out now (even though their Android TV streaming stick apparently won't be ready until early 2020) in order to get out in front of some bad news that Comcast might deliver this fall with regard to TiVo. Perhaps TiVo wants to show the media and Wall Street that they do have a post-CableCARD DVR future lined up and they're already executing on it.
They've already shipped an 'EDGE' to replace a failed Bolt 're-certified' purchase experience so who knows what's up. I'm good with my TE3 hardware, CableCARD experience etc. The Bolt VOX TE4 if the 'ad feature' can't be 'opted out' for ever I doubt a keeper. No Xfinity VOD not an issue. I believe that once experienced Bolt TE4 users can comment on the daily use and 'feature' aggravation going forward on a daily experience it's not an issue! Post CableCARD ain't an issue!

It might be interesting for Edge users to mention their experience! Maybe the hardware eliminates the 'speed-bump' many seem to feel exists. A 'single ad' I doubt would be much of a nuisance before a DVR PLAY and subsequent plays BUT if an ad before each I could see that a nuisance. What would happen to the 'PLAY ALL'?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What is the 'software version' on those that are receiving the latest TE4 'revenue generating' ad package?

This link should cover the how to if you don't know.

Tivo Customer Support Community

My Bolt is still in the wrapper but the last I've seen mentioned is maybe 9/10 and

21.9.1.V14 for TiVo Experience 4

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Tivo did say it would go to all eligible devices and that eligible devices were those running TE4.
A 'comment' directly by a TiVo representative or from one of the 'EDITORIALIZED' pushes from the 'usual sources'? I hadn't seen anything that appeared to be a TiVo release. I've had a conversation with TiVo as have others that the 'FEATURE' can be removed/deactivated. I certainly don't know ........

**What might be an interesting argument for Xfinity customers is well TiVo VOD is gone, How about a little consideration and remove the feature or maybe at least make it an opt-in.

If there were reduced prices for monthly subscribers or the Opt-in/out for AISP/PLS users it might be a considered 'feature'. Pay full retail monthly and be able to SKIP, reduced fee 'it stays', AISP/PLS goes away!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.